Sign in to follow this  
R34P3R

Please remove Serial Check in Patches...

Hi BIS...

Please remove the Serial/Key Check on our Patches ! Because we can not install the Patches on our Dedicated Servers ! On a new Patch we must complete re Upload the full Game with 8 GB and this take a long time !

Why should pirates be able to benefit from game updates? I'm afraid that's simply what it comes down to.

I think there is some contention over whether or not software protection stops pirating. From the other side of the fence why should the majority of legal users have to suffer because of a minority?

Years ago a game or piece of software came out on the Amiga 500 that required a dongle (and claimed an end to piracy). Before release the code was hacked. Splinter cell series claimed their code was uncrackable - it took a while but the hackers did it. I think they do it just to say "yeah F**k you it's uncrackable" - of course others do it to sell pirated copies. I don't know of any game that hasn't been cracked.

As usual though it's us legal users that have to put up with crap like the dreaded star force. I have no idea how prevailent piracy is these days though - to me buying the game supports the undustry that I love. Are there any reports to show what effect piracy has?

Edited by Jex =TE=

Why should pirates be able to benefit from game updates? I'm afraid that's simply what it comes down to.
Exactly. Lock.

I must admit I can't don't condone software game piracy.

DRM just pisses of your customers; like gun laws they only affect law-abiding citizens.

Lets face it who do you really want to take advice about the games industry and customer service from ?

This guy: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22378

or

http://www.riaa.com

Shrugs and ambles off.

Oh guys.. stop flaming this thread ! We need 10 Hours to Upload 8 GB to Rootserver !! So... this is only one Optione... the other Option is to set the Patch Installdirectory manuel.. because you have no Regitry entry on the Dedicated server ! Or make that the Patch Check if the Installation is a Server or a Player game. No one talking about Pirates !

like gun laws they only affect law-abiding citizens.

Gun laws effect the potential distribution of fire arms into normal society. But as you say, the abnormal side of society. Will want to acquire guns, in complete disregard to the well being of the majority.

We need 10 Hours to Upload 8 GB to Rootserver !!

If you think 10 hours is a long time, try writing a game like Arma2. Then ask for your income over the next few decades. Piracy may very well have put an end to this series :(

If you think 10 hours is a long time, try writing a game like Arma2. Then ask for your income over the next few decades. Piracy may very well have put an end to this series :(

It was their career choice!

Pirates need to re-crack the game on every patch anyway, so you're not really helping them much.