Sign in to follow this  
Rexxenexx

Has anyone with a GTX285 or other Nvidia Card gotten rid of tearing?

Hmm ... I haven't had any vsync/tearing issues with ARMA2 with my GTX285. I have vysnc forced in the Nvidia control panel for both general and a specific ARMA2 profile that I created.

No offense but I find that hard to believe. Can you check those videos in the first post and do something similar to confirm?

Remember the OFP LOD sliders? Does ArmA 2 have a file that we can manipulate LOD distance? I see nothing good in the Arma.cfg or profile.

Edited by Rexxenexx

he's talking about the texture flickering; not tearing. Yes, I still get it and it seems to have gotten worse with 1.03; but I'm not sure if I never really noticed it before (or changed a game setting that increased it).

There's several threads about it being "z-fighting" or something like that; where the game can't decide which texture should be on top of the other

yea, its a LOD Z(depth) swapping which goes back and forth with each pass making it look like its tearing hence the name. I've actually noticed it on the choppers horizon instrument gauge. Really annoying. It should stop with the forced Vsync or triple buffer but that doesn't work. I don't think anyone has fixed it yet.

The triple buffering option in Nvidia control panel only works for OpenGL games, not Direct3D, so that won't help you any.

Same here , i think its quite common.

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.1Ghz

BFG Tech GTX 285 OC to core 674MHz. shader 1535MHz. mem 1247MHz

Asus P5N-D 750i

4 GB Corsair DDR2 XMS 800

EZ COOL 700W psu

Maxtor HDD

Windows Vista 64bit

Tearing, no. Texture flickering, all the time. It is very annoying, especially when looking at a distance and trying to spot someone based on movement. GTX 275.

yea, its a LOD Z(depth) swapping which goes back and forth with each pass making it look like its tearing hence the name. I've actually noticed it on the choppers horizon instrument gauge. Really annoying. It should stop with the forced Vsync or triple buffer but that doesn't work. I don't think anyone has fixed it yet.

Z fighting has little to do with Vsync or triple buffering. It shouldnt "stop" because of either.

The question is whether the z fighting is down to a video card bug (drivers could reduce it), glitchy meshes or a poor engine depth buffer.

Either way, it sucks. I've seen a tank drive under a bridge :rolleyes:

Texture flickering, yes, tearing, no. No offence but word your question correctly next time ;-)

This might be off topic, but I'll have a go.. I love sniping and SMAW. It's all I do.

but the trouble is, sometimes (most of the time, really) destroyed vehicles will show up as if they were fully operational, only stationary. Anyone else get this? It' really my mine concern right now.

yea you guys are right I dunno why I keep calling it tearing. Lol, I even justified calling it tearing. :D

EDIT:Changed the title.

So everyone has this? Theirs no way to increase the LOD in relation to distance or change the imprecision (16-32bit)?

EDIT: I'm going to try RivaTuner to see if their are anything that would help.

EDIT2: No dice.Even with D3Doveride forcing triple buffer it doesn't change. It looks like an engine deal -16bit z-buffer.

Edited by Rexxenexx

This might be off topic, but I'll have a go.. I love sniping and SMAW. It's all I do.

but the trouble is, sometimes (most of the time, really) destroyed vehicles will show up as if they were fully operational, only stationary. Anyone else get this? It' really my mine concern right now.

I have similar but that's just the laggyness of the engine to. It should take a while before it loads the destroyed object. If it's REALLY REALLY far away then maybe BIS never made a LOD destroyed mesh so it uses the low res fully oper. mesh.

These problems seem like ArmA1 problems. I haven't had the z-fighting on things so close in ArmA1. Stuff far away is really noticeable but look how close I am in the video. That's not really M107 range. And at that short distance it looks like gremlins are crawling all over objects. Very distracting.

BTW I just remembered the last time I had "tearing" in a game. It was with a 3Dfx Voodoo card, early '90s I think, which needed VSync to be forced on games like Tribes. That really slowed games down. :D

EDIT2: No dice.Even with D3Doveride forcing triple buffer it doesn't change.

Nor should tripe buffering have any effect on z-fighting.

It looks like an engine deal -16bit z-buffer.

If they were using a 16bit z-buffer the z-fighting would be far worse than it is.

Also, for refrence sake; this is screen tearing.

If they were using a 16bit z-buffer the z-fighting would be far worse than it is.

What is Arma2 using? 24bit?

Also, for refrence sake; this is screen tearing.

I couldn't see tearing in that vid. I guess because it's too low res. But tearing is distinct separation of total image from what I remember,not what I originally/incorrectly called it. My graphics glitch lingo is a bit rusty but I got it.

If it didn't show the the tearing I wouldn't have posted it, but perhaps it is happening too quick for you to notice, in which case pausing the video at the rights spots should allow you to see it. Tearing is when the top portion of the refresh and the bottom portion(s) are from different frames, resulting in a horizontally disjointed image. Here is a small picture example I googled which has circles around where the tears are most obvious.

As for what ArmA2 is using for a depth buffer, I can't rightly say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a 32bit z-buffer, as even that isn't enough to avoid z-fighting with extreme view distances.

Edited by kylebisme

I understand. I have a bad habit of calling that z-buffer problem tearing and calling tearing an out-of-sync/refresh problem. I haven't had tearing for a really long time.

So you think it's fixed in the engine, nothing we can do about it? I kind of understand from a performance perspective but it makes sniper missions a joke.