Sign in to follow this  
Eagle911

Naval Combat

Would this be possible in this game?

Here are some ideas:

Using navy ships to provide artillery support (think destroyers, etc)

We have a Aircraft Carrier model already in the game, why can we have missions where marines assault the enemy from the carrier (riding out from the carrier to shore)

Navy against Navy warfare, of course. Could have MP maps where you have to scramble jets and defend the fleet or something of the sort.

There are currently a LHD, a Destroyer, and a frigid i believe. but u cant do anything with them as far as i know; other then the LHD addon, which moves allows it to be driven & moveable in the editor.

I put this reply in the ACE2 thread since that's where I originally read your question but I'll post the reply here since it's a better place for it.

So would there be a possibility of naval warfare?

And also say, destroyers providing support via artillery

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible but not sure to what depth ACE2 would focus on this.

Check these videos. They are A1 but I believe the script packs used in them are coming to A2. It was damn fun once this stuff came out for A1. I gotta assume if it can be done in A1 it can be done in A2. Let's hope.

Edited by Manzilla

I put this reply in the ACE2 thread since that's where I originally read your question but I'll post the reply here since it's a better place for it.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible but not sure to what depth ACE2 would focus on this.

Check these videos. They are A1 but I believe the script packs used in them are coming to A2. It was damn fun once this stuff came out for A1. I gotta assume if it can be done in A1 it can be done in A2. Let's hope.

That looks awesome

its easy to make a scripts that spawning thise ships.. altho they are not verry usefull since all weapons are just static objects on them.. you cant even walk on them while they move.

all they are good for is walking around on when its not moving. otherthan that. they are just eyecandy imo. ..

i could do without them. since they are of no much of use.

i been wanting good ships in this game since arma came . "i served in marine" so its kinda appeals to me.

i know there are addons out. by gnat for arma

but the hole ship/sea code in arma/arma2 is flawed

i hope they fix the ships so we can walk on them during speed and make them weapons mounteble in upcomming patches.

but that will be like belive in Santa Claus

so i guess we have to managed without working ships in this game..

or wait until arma 5 or someting is out.

BIS isnt focusing on this part.

kinda strange to me since the all the other parts are based on marine vehicles. marine units marine planes marine helis. etc etc.

arma 2 really needs Sea Vehicles that is functionable.

there is enough Air & Ground units in this game.

i dont see how ace2 will fix thouse issues since its a game engine code issue.

tonz of script calulating position setting vector etc etc i can managed without.

all hope is not lost tho

@Nuxil

Nothing in ArmAI or II allows you to walk on or in it while it moves, so no point pointing the finger at BIS on this not being looked at for ships.

VBS2 has this "walk in cargo" feature, but ships are far far bigger than most other models in game, so even getting the VBS2 code into ArmAII won't nessisarily make it work.

But I dont see the point of this subject item, "Naval Combat" has little or nothing to do with "walking around ships".

Gnat;1397534']@Nuxil

Nothing in ArmAI or II allows you to walk on or in it while it moves' date=' so no point pointing the finger at BIS on this not being looked at for ships.

VBS2 has this "walk in cargo" feature, but ships are far far bigger than most other models in game, so even getting the VBS2 code into ArmAII won't nessisarily make it work.

But I dont see the point of this subject item, "Naval Combat" has little or nothing to do with "walking around ships".[/quote']

Now this may seem pretty silly, but what about the water is 'moving' while the ship is stationary. But really, you add something in the game to make the water look like it isn't moving, but really that effect is running. So in the end the ship can be moving

Sure, works if you can't see any land and you cant see any other "moving" ships. Because if you did, you'd know straight away your not actually moving, only the water is.

[APS]Gnat

But I dont see the point of this subject item, "Naval Combat" has little or nothing to do with "walking around ships".

doest it?

it kinda makes sence for me.

i dont want to only play as a static object i want the abiliy to move aswell.

only be able to play as driver/gunner/commander isnt right.

example you are flying a harrier as airsupport for your fleet., but then taked out, you respawn on the lhd while its moving.. oh no. looks like you have to swim after your lhd..

or should we make " hint "you can not move while the commander/driver is moving the lhd" " and make the unit stuck with attachto command :\

let say the lhd is moving and im a gunner on it.. and need to go into a heli on the deck. oh no.. looks like i have to swim after my heli.

or should we make " hint "you can not getout while the commander/driver is moving the lhd" "

for a truly navy combat we should have ships that is actualy working as real ships.

"walk in cargo" you say. to bad that isnt in arma1/2

im sure they got it working in vbs2. but thats only guessing.

Workaround could be to have a static ship and the same one which moves. On the first one player and AI could move around and on the second there are sitting in commanders/drivers/gunners/crew position. Vehicles and other stuff on moveables ships could be placed on defined places where they cant fall off and turn. Naval combat in OFP/ArmA/Arma2 takes mostly support and reinforce role. Imho amphibious ships like the Zubr Class, HLCAC or (large) landing ships which are able to carry heavier vehicles and stuff are most wanted. Those small PBX, RHIB types are only nice for recons and other small groups.

im sure they got it working in vbs2. but thats only guessing.

Tons of videos demonstrating it in action.

only be able to play as driver/gunner/commander isnt right.

Your now talking Carriers. Those do not fit in the "Naval Combat" idea.

Carrier Operations is a whole different thing (and problem) again.

As for LCAC ops and similar, with the AttachTo command, things got a lot easier getting cargo into and onto these types of ships.