Sign in to follow this  
Scythe-NL

1.03 screwed over my save games, auto and self made

As title says, save game can't be loaded and game crashes to desktop. Sending error reports for the crashing game like a good boy but i thought save game issues would be resolved? I was just in the middle of capturing the 4 strongholds on my own and was doing great. Now i'll probably have to start all over again which i'm not too keen on doing :mad:

And btw, you should make it possible for people to load games from the main menu instead of going through 5 clicks just to get there...Simple is key mkay?

Edited by Scythe-NL

Really? How could you not have expected this. BIS changed (fixed) several things in the campaign missions, how can you expect your old saved data to still work?

From the 1.03 release topic in the News Forum:

- It is not recommended to use any savegames created in versions 1.00 or 1.01, if you use a savegame from 1.02 some of the fixes may not apply to that game in progress until the beginning of a new mission.

Simple is key eh?

Planck

Edited by Planck

dont jump up and down on the OP cause he's trying something BIS implies should work.

can we get clarification from the devs that some saved games can work from 1.02?

everyone seems to get CTD loading up a 1.02 save in 1.03.

i read the patch statement as saying 1.02 saves are fine, just dont expect campaign bug fixes to kick in until your new mission - whether that be repeating the current mission or reaching the next mission.

but we're not given the option to continue the mission, a CTD has been introduced which forces people to revert.

The patch doco could have been better worded:

1) finish your current saved mission on your current version of ARMA2 (if you can), then Patch... OR

2) Patch now and Revert your campaign to start of your current mission

From the 1.03 release topic in the News Forum:

Simple is key eh?

Planck

that's still not true though.

all of my 1.02 saves result in CTD, not what the patch notes say. not a single one of about 12 do anything other than CTD. reverting to the last checkpoint is the only way to proceed for me and many others i've seen in the forums.

simple would be stating that no 1.00, 1.01, or 1.02 save will load and will result in CTD upon loading ;)

that's still not true though.

all of my 1.02 saves result in CTD, not what the patch notes say. not a single one of about 12 do anything other than CTD. reverting to the last checkpoint is the only way to proceed for me and many others i've seen in the forums.

simple would be stating that no 1.00, 1.01, or 1.02 save will load and will result in CTD upon loading ;)

What's not true about it, really? What happens when 'some of the fixes may not apply to that game in progress until the beginning of a new mission.' Even different datasets, requesting information that isn't there, pointer errors.. I believe you may have heard about a divide by zero error. (just an example, hopefully their error handler is set to accept those... :D)

Simply put, what happens when a computer is given out of range or plain wrong data? :toilet:

Indeed i interpreted it like 1.02 mission saves would still work, just that some bugfixes would kick in later on. Otherwise i would have 1st finished the current mission before starting patch. I reverted to mission start now *Sigh*

On a different note: When my mobile HQ gets destroyed i can still plant the HQ structure but nothing more. It gets planted and the destroyed vehicle is still there. No other base structures next to the HQ can be selected, which can be planted over and over again.

Sorry if i should actually make a new topic about it but it's been years since i last frequented these boards.

my save games from 1.02 worked flawlessly; I just had to restart from the beginning of the mission for the changes to take effect...just like with every other patch they've released. Hell, I know of games where you have to start the "campaign" all over again after they've released patches. Don't you think it's better just to have to redo a single mission?

it's amazing how people bitched moaned and whined about the campaign being broken; so they fix it and they STILL aren't happy lol

Edited by No Use For A Name

What's not true about it, really? What happens when 'some of the fixes may not apply to that game in progress until the beginning of a new mission.' Even different datasets, requesting information that isn't there, pointer errors.. I believe you may have heard about a divide by zero error. (just an example, hopefully their error handler is set to accept those... :D)

Simply put, what happens when a computer is given out of range or plain wrong data? :toilet:

it's dishonest. saying every 1.00/1.01/1.02 save load will result in CTD is a little more simple and clear than what the patch notes said.

the way it reads suggests that your saves will play, but the fixes will not be implemented until the next mission - when in fact, you have to revert, there is no way of getting to the next mission for the changes to implement without doing so.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

my save games from 1.02 worked flawlessly; I just had to restart from the beginning of the mission for the changes to take effect...just like with every other patch they've released

it's amazing how people bitched moaned and whined about the campaign being broken; so they fix it and they STILL aren't happy lol

take your angst out on someone who actually whined and moaned, not people experiencing problems due to an unclear patch note..

how many people here are new to the game from steam and have no clue that this is how it worked with all other patches? why would they say save games work but fixes aren't implemented until next mission when it's patently false - the game crashes, or you have to revert to previous mission, not play through to the next.

Edited by jaundiced

my save games from 1.02 worked flawlessly; I just had to restart from the beginning of the mission for the changes to take effect...just like with every other patch they've released. Hell, I know of games where you have to start the "campaign" all over again after they've released patches. Don't you think it's better just to have to redo a single mission?

the point is it implies you dont have to re-start the mission (if it was a 1.02 save)

i dont care what previous patches did, whether written in bold or not.

if users were told the 1.02 saves (mid mission saves, not checkpoint in campaign) are not compatible ... we'd be able to make decision whether to continue in 1.02 if we werent having issues with bugs...then patch later.

By patching, i not only had to revert and start it all over wasting several hours, but the mission (badlands) now has new bugs introduced by 1.03 rendering it incompletable

yes there's lessons to be learned by us players, but would be nice if BIS checked what they were writing in the patch notes too. simples

Well, seeing as how the OP has got his answer and has resigned himself to restarting the mission, it seems the topic has run its course.

To prevent the topic now degenerating into an argument about how some obscure interpretation can be read from the patch notes I think it is time to close it. ;)

Planck