Sign in to follow this  
p75

Defrag. softw. Diskeeper 2009 Pro does the trick - removes the stuttering completely

Even without CBA i've found out that if you try to play crCTI using the fast time option (not the same as time acceleration) you can get the cycling pause bug. With long regular days crCTI will run fine.

I've got the pauses as well, for me it's exactly 60 seconds then a 4 second pause, I think turning the graphics down fixes it but ... to have to run it on low when I ran it on high-very high before isn't an option, for 1.02 will have to do until another fix is released.

On a side not A Big thank you to BIS for providing a piece of software which in itself defies the artistic boundaries of other titles and provides us with a solid platform for many years of solid gaming in the years to come.

Agreed.

i'm getting pauses of about 1 second, every 1.5 seconds, like clockwork. the game is totally unplayable. however, this *only* happens in online games. it doesn't happen when i host an online game on my own machine, but it happens if i connect to a server on the internet. this would suggest a problem with the networking code.

Core2 Quad Q6600

GeForce GTX 260

Latest Nvidia drivers

patch 1.03

Windows XP

Track IR 4

OK, I turned off CBA and that appears to have fixed the issue (though I still get hangs - just only for 0.5-1 second)

When i have removed CBA from the modlist, no stalling or stuttering for me, rock solid fps. Looks like a incompatibilty issue maybe?

If you haven't already, try reinstalling the game, then patch it only with the 1.03 patch and running it with a fresh config and no mods.

There seems to be some conflicts when installing the 1.03 patch on top of the 1.02 patch.

Yep, also just removed CBA addon and it's gone!

Funny you say that now....Was running vinnila arma2 and was running fine...When I was playing with mods (Which includes CBA) I get a stutter.

Will take out old ArmA mods and CBA and try it with normall ArmA2 mods see if its ok

Same prob here with the 1sec lag and untouched settings from 1.02. Happens only in online COOP games .... Hold (Berzerk) works fine ... now try the fresh install + 1.03.

Sorry mate, defrag does not work.

I said a series of defrags. Not just the xp or vista standard one (in fact the Win7 one is pretty good!). Use more than one defragger too !

It worked for me - completely removing all stuttering.

Well Whether it's completely CBA or a combination of things, Kremator is right. After 2 Auslogic (very fast but not sure how effective) and 1 pretty long Disk Keeper 2009 Defrag (but effective), Arma2 is seriously running smooth as butter. I almost can't believe how well it plays now even on high-ish settings. Something right is happening here as my ArmaMark has matured from 2400 at first release, to now just over 4400 with the same hardware (changed OS from Vista64 to Win764 though)

Edited by froggyluv

Was always running free mod ArmA2 and no problem in single player.

With CBA loaded I get the freeezes again.

Tried the reinstall method and file compared after with previous data, same exact files so I'll have to ruled out patch error.

Can confirm the server I was getting the freezes had CBA running.

Thanks, lads, removal of CBA did the trick!

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

I said a series of defrags. Not just the xp or vista standard one (in fact the Win7 one is pretty good!). Use more than one defragger too !

It worked for me - completely removing all stuttering.

I did more than 1 defrag! But thanks anway. It is not hurting my pc :-)

Kind of a given that you try a new patch without addons first. Things can and will change as BIS doesnt only fix bugs - but optimizes the engine as well.

Good you found out it was an addon. CBA creators will have to update. :)

Alex

Technically over defragging your hard drive can dmg the drive. This is due to the drive being pushed to it's limits during a defrag, hence why it's suggested to only defrag once a month.

A good idea is to invest in a good 3rd party defrag (use O&O defrag myself) with those you can do stealth defrags that don't put so much pressure on your drive, and they also have a tendancy to actually defrag your hard drive in 1 go (unlike windows defrag)

Hi Lads,

As most I experienced some serious stuttering after applying patch 1.03.

After removing all the mods, which improved it slightly as I had the CBA mod installed (imcompatible at this time with 1.03), it was half the time, but still there at random intervals.

Someone from BIS recommended some defragmentations, which I did through the normal windows console (running XP here). Unlucky as I was, it did make any difference. So, I went out to find the best available software for defragmentation and found Diskeeper 2009 Pro, and...

Wow, my pc has never run soo beautiful and that includes the stuttering Arma 2, which is now completely gone after 1 defragmentation with this software. :D

The software has two modes, automatic and manual. I've choosen the manual version (they say automatic is even better, but I'm not for running extra services on my pc, I already have enough). And defragmentated manually once normally and thereafter a manual bootdisk defragmentation.

They have a trial available for 30 days, just grab it and resolve your issues! (just google them)

I have no doubt that this will help alot of people!!! Enjoy Arma 2 1.03.

Edited by p75

The windows default defrag isn't very good, there are plenty of freeware options out there that do a better job, or even better yet get/buy perfectdisk 10, I have it and it works beautifully.

Great Lads, I reas some review in a recent magazine, but if there is freeware on the same level, give it a go.

The default windows defrag sucks. This makes my pc better than when it was new :-) and Arma 2 runs supersilk!

This is a copy and paste from another thread ref stuttering & defrag etc :

People with the Pause problem, check and see if your using the CBA addon as after I took it out my stuttering problems seems to be gone.

Look here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78622&page=9

Yes second to defrag and the usual things with stream loading stutter ..

1. Try setting texture detail to "normal"

2. Dependent on Vram try setting video memory to "Very High" (or at atleast the highest option you have).

3 ... as the quote suggest, check your mods, if you have CBA loaded right now this with 1.03 is adding a cyclic 1-2 second pause every couple of minutes (or less) which maybe confused by some with general stutter (that settings can remove and defrag) and the patch.

(1 & 2 were what I found to get a happy medium of removing stutter caused my texture streaming in large industrial areas etc).

Also one of the BIS staff (I think Maruk) posted on the old BIS thread a nice little tool for de-fragging JUST the Arma folder (so no long waiting to defrag whole drive)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428.aspx

Download the exe and paste it into the root of your Arma folder IE:

c:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive

Then right click and create a shortcut to desktop.

Goto "properties" of the created shortcut and in the "Target" window section add the following tags at the end:

-s *.* -v

IE:

"c:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Contig.exe" -s *.* -v

Then simply double click and run, this will then defrag the game folder from the root down = saves waiting to defrag entire drives when all you need is the game folder to be tidy. Once its done the dos window will close and all sorted. Obviously you can set this up on any folder/area of a drive etc. And run the shortcut as and when you wish just before playing.

Thanks Sickboy.

Also ....my stuttering, prior to what I have said, is NOT fixed yet. Even with the mother of all defrags :)

You can even see it on the ship intro - all this stuttering :(

I have this stuttering too.

Also this patch killed my FPS.I was getting aroung 35 fps with all high except for antialiasing but now no matter what my settings are I get ~20fps which of course is unplayable.

I have the same stuttering problem as well.I had the stutterings while flying over large towns pre 1.03 and now it seems to occur every 4 Mins or so and lasts for about 2 Seconds no matter where i am on the Map.And that's with the view distance turned right down.:confused: