Sign in to follow this  
p75

Defrag. softw. Diskeeper 2009 Pro does the trick - removes the stuttering completely

Hi Lads,

I was wondering if more people have hanging frames/screens during play - I have them of a duration of 1-4 secs and at regular intervals.

With 1.02 I was playing perfectly fine, everything on very high @1440*900, 4000 meter viewdistance, AA on normal at a constant 40fps.

It almost becomes unplayable now. I have a 8800GTX, 2GB, x2 6400. Framerate stays about the same around 40fps, expect then for the total pause in the game for 1-4 secs.

Does anyone else have this experience after switching to 1.03 from 1.02?

Looks like i have it aswell, steady on 50 fps and every 4 secs or so it drops 10 fps / stutters / "stalls", then the fps is back to normal. All this seems to be on a regular interval.

i7 920

4850x2

6GB

I noticed a stutter or two, but it it not a common occurance for me, luckily.

Just a thought; have you tried resetting you video settings?

Shite! I have it also. It's not a killer but it ain't good. Happens maybe every 30 secs to a minute and the stutter lasts about 1 second. Strange because overall FPS is a lot better but shuts to 0 or 1 for a split second.

Specs E8500 @3.8

4870 512mb oced 9.7 drivers

4 gigs 800 ddr2

Win7 RC

All settings at Normal and Default Mem. Using -winxp;maxmem = 2047

I'm getting the same problem...But no havent tried that because really should we need to???

It was running fine...Shouldnt it run fine now???

Ditto - At first I thought it was the mission I was working on, but it appears pretty much on any mission I tried.

It does clear up after a while and then sporadically returns. Same thing though - about every 4 seconds for no visible rime or reason. It is almost like there is loop being run in the code somewhere that is getting stuffed up.

GTX 260

Xonar DX

Win XP (clean install just for ArmA II)

Default memory and everything else normal except high AF and low AA.

Usually averaging ~60fps

Edited by Binesi

I have tried editor, Sp mission, Mp mission, all the same effect. I deleted the config file with the same result. Furthermore the hdd has been defragmentated several times.

Other guys from 6th sense also reported the same behavior.

K just deleted the config...Set up the graphic options again...In game right now on a server with about 30players...So far so good...Running back to being smoooooth

Guys I think it's tied to the View Distance. I just tried like every combination of Video settings an eventually with everything at OFP low -AA off, fillrate 100%, everything else Very Low or Disabled; in an empty world with max 75 FPS, I was still getting the stutter. VD was at 3000. When I lowered that to 700, no more stutters. One by one I reenabled the video features eventually to screaming Very High where I was getting 20 FPS in an unpopulated editor. As long as I left the VD to 700, no stutters.

:confused:

Edit- I also erased the cfg and defragged the HD last nite.

Edited by froggyluv

That would not make any sense. I mean should we expect to turn our settings down due to a patch? That would be the other way around. It is odd as I tried now several Nvidia drivers, old, new and newest, using Driver Cleaner to be sure that nothing was left, but all show the same effect as I described earlier. Even defragmented the disk, no luck whatsoever. To be quite frank, this is the first ever patch in my life where I go actually backwards.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Guys I think it's tied to the View Distance. I just tried like every combination of Video settings an eventually with everything at OFP low -AA off, fillrate 100%, everything else Very Low or Disabled; in an empty world with max 75 FPS, I was still getting the stutter. VD was at 3000. When I lowered that to 700, no more stutters. One by one I reenabled the video features eventually to screaming Very High where I was getting 20 FPS in an unpopulated editor. As long as I left the VD to 700, no stutters.

:confused:

Edit- I also erased the cfg and defragged the HD last nite.

That might be something for the BIS crew to look at. They improved the border, maybe it has something to do with that?

Im getting similar issues - with the last patch I had it running on:

Very High Overall

High all settings

View Distance 2046

1024 x 768 Resolution at 100% Fillrate.

Framerates were playable and non laggy.

Have tried various settings since going through the whole spectrum and have come to the conclusion it isnt my hardware/drivers or settings but something that needs optimised or quick patched in the future.

System:

AMD 5000 Dual Core

2 Gb DDR 800 Ram

9500GT Nvidia

And a board with mothers on.

Everyone having this problem, try putting your VD to an obscenely low 600 or so and see if that fixes it. So far, I've been playing for over an hour without one p-a-u-s-e, with all my other settings completely maxed.

Not a solution, but may help us isolate the problem.

Same problem here, if I raise the view distance in domination to 3500 I get every 1-2 mins a freeze close to 1 sec.

But I can only reproduce it online, same mission if hosted locally and view distance 8000 has no problem.

Gotta say it ..... DEFRAG! have been having stuttering problems myself. However with a series of defrags I seem to be sorted now !

I have 2xSSD Vertex 120G Raid0 setup exclusive for ArmA 2 atm and it gets 520 Mb/sec reads. Noway it needs defrag.

Defragged, etc but followed froggyluvs idea..agree with him I do.

However the most enjoyable part of this game is the panoramic scenery - im not asking for maxxed view distances but being able to run it like i did with 1.02 at 2046 vd with everything on high is the least that I would hope for. Seems Bi replaced the cog but lost a few bolts in the process ( typical patch problem in all games) but I have faith in there professionalism and skill to correct this issue.

On a side not A Big thank you to BIS for providing a piece of software which in itself defies the artistic boundaries of other titles and provides us with a solid platform for many years of solid gaming in the years to come.

Edited by Jingle

Im getting similar issues - with the last patch I had it running on:

Very High Overall

High all settings

View Distance 2046

1024 x 768 Resolution at 100% Fillrate.

Framerates were playable and non laggy.

Have tried various settings since going through the whole spectrum and have come to the conclusion it isnt my hardware/drivers or settings but something that needs optimised or quick patched in the future.

System:

AMD 5000 Dual Core

2 Gb DDR 800 Ram

9500GT Nvidia

Say what? I got basically the same system, and i play at NORMAL with AA=HIGH.

Very high seems way off for that system.

Say what? I got basically the same system, and i play at NORMAL with AA=HIGH.

Very high seems way off for that system.

Very High overall doesnt mean very high on all settings besides im not a fps monster, I play it to the best quality my system can handle at a fps that i find that is playable.

Just removed CBA 1.2 reset my options to the way it was in 1.02 and guess what ? no stuttering:) maybe a coincidence but im happy now :D

Gotta say it ..... DEFRAG! have been having stuttering problems myself. However with a series of defrags I seem to be sorted now !

Sorry mate, defrag does not work.

Yep, also just removed CBA addon and it's gone!

You know ya just might have something there?

After reading this i removed CBA too, and its a big improvement!

I am experiencing this since the patch also ... will play with view distance also to test it, but it was the most prominent thing that stood out after patch, its cyclic and the timing is pretty much the same in when it occurs and how long also.

I thought I escaped most issues (so far I have been running fine) and this is the first thing I have experienced where a patch introduced something rather odd (and thats including arma1 for me and same rig all the way through).

Aaah, CBA ... Ive not tested, but will do now.

EDIT: Removed CBA no stutter/pause in cycle ... same settings 3000 draw distance, exited, put CBA back into mod list, loaded, same settings, same mission test .. cyclic pause loop returns = CBA is the issue here.

Reported it in the CBA thread here : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1395785#post1395785

Edited by mrcash2009