Sign in to follow this  
Swartz

Tried everything but LAN server still jittery

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so go easy :-)

I have been with the game since OFP days and have spent a lot of time learning to script and change things, sounds etc, and love doing it.

I am at the point now (after about 8 years!) that I need to learn the multiplayer aspects because I want to run a dedicated server for me and a few mates, not more than four of us. We have been playin Ghost Recon (the original) for years every Monday night and quite enjoy the sneaking around. Home made Arma missions would be perfect for us.

Anyway back on Topic! I am trying to set up a dedicated server here at home to learn how to do the multiplayer sripting side of things. The problem is, with only me connected things are really jittery at a distance. Things appear smooth close up, but as soon as they are a hundred metres away they jitter something terrible.

This has been blowing my mind as I know Arma will support lots of online players. Right now it's just one it needs to support and it's jittery!!

I have read and read these forums and see this as well as other threads....

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=58761

But no matter what I do it's still jittery.

I have placed myself and one soldier in the editor and made a MP mission. The soldier is about 150m away from and running from left to right and he jitters. Disappears and appears a metre or so further on constantly.

I cannot understand this.

This is over a wireless LAN with solid 54Mbs connections. None of the other servers I've run have ever given trouble (Ghost Recon, rFactor, BF2 plus others). I didn't have this much trouble many years ago with Apache and Perl :-)

Any ideas would be really appreciated. After all these years and finally ready to do something and play Arma with my mates and I'm really feeling finally beaten! Ready to give up with Arma to be honest!

Have tried the server on two different machines. One Pentium 3.2 Ghz and on a newer AMD Phenom II X4 940 just to see if that made a difference. Same thing on both.

Long winded I know, but I'm frustrated and trying explain.

Thanks guys.

This is with Arma v1.14 and Arma 1.16 beta.

Edited by Swartz
Left out crucial information

This is a known Arma dedicated server problem. According to the wiki, tweaking the MinErrorToSend variable is supposed to fix the problem.

I spent quite some time on this and nothing fixed the problem - so I simply gave up on the "dedicated server" and run a hosted server. It works very well.

You can see my movie of the problem here:

http://www.vimeo.com/4234223

There's no way to shoot those Opfor.

Anyone know where the min error to send article is?

Anyone know where the min error to send article is?

There is not much to it really more than tweaking the value and then trail and error to see if your server HW can cope with it.

/*

Minimal error to send updates across network.

Using a smaller value can make units observed by binoculars or sniper rifle to move smoother.

Default: 0.01

*/

MinErrorToSend = 0.005;

/KC

Hi DesertJedi

I just watched your video. Man that is bad! What server where you playing on to get that? What was your ping? Are you running some firewall that is slowing down your computer?

I have never ever experienced this on any of the major servers. Could you log on to the DAO server and see if this happens there?

Kind Regards walker

firewalls slowing down your computer? I thought was just either or on that one. It stops ur connection or doesn't. Anyways agree that this is a known problem and has been since release. The fact that bohemia has not bothered to fix it or even inform the community that its a serious issue is weak. Just jumped on the forums to see if they fixed this problem after a year or so of waiting....judging by the threads i've replied to I am in for disappointment.