Sign in to follow this  
dman777

Help wheres the servers???

I just updated my arma 2 to 1.03 from steam auto-update. It was a long update that took about an hour or so. After it was updated, i went to multiplayer and no servers show up in the list! And yes i have it set on internet, not lan. Is it something to do with steam? something to do with the patch?? i mean everthing was working perfectly before this patch so.....

Any suggestions or related agony to be shared would be appreciated.

This is because they forgot to release the dedicated server files. No hosting provider can host a server because of this.

forgot??!!? thats a serious thing to forget when releasing a patch. I never even played this on single player mode. Any idea when servers will be up and running on the new 1.03 patch?

They didn't forget, they did it for some kind of super obvious reason that we have to figure out for ourselves... :/

anyone know or have an inside scoop on when the multiplayer servers will be running on the new patch?

It coming

Hi everyone, the dedicated server exe will be relased later today hopefully. Please, be patient and stay tuned.

And, at last: please, don't blame us for the steam update. As it was mentioned on several places and threads it's a Steam issue. Instead of downloading just the difference data to be replaced inside of your pbo's (normal D/L update does this exactly), Steam users must download the whole pbo's and files affected be the update, which is about 4.3gigs in total.

By the way, we have the response from Steam, that they plan to implement more sophisticated method of updating games to avoid such situations.

people relax, presumably they're spending time improving the dedi server files, which will benefit us all in the long run.

@BIS: it might be better to put a simple note in the downloads section of the A2 website advising about the ETA of the server files - would stop a lot of this 'panic' ;)

@BIS: it might be better to put a simple note in the downloads section of the A2 website advising about the ETA of the server files - would stop a lot of this 'panic' ;)

It would be nice but unfortunately I doubt it would stop the panic.

the server patch update on steam will come out the same time as non steam game users? I heard its already out so there should be servers running up when i go to multiplayer but its still empty. Could i have a corrupt dowload for the patch or is it not out yet for steam users?

Edited by dman777

Give it time . the server file came out a little while ago. It takes time to get servers updated.

I see more and more converting over to 1.03 all the time .

thanks man, i never play single player and im hooked on multiplayer. Pvp/ deathmatch servers are my fav yet there are so few of em out there. The co op thing is the main campaign and im guessing after this patch its only going to make it more popular. Hopefully the improvements will also be for pvp/deathmatch campaigns.

i just checked to see if i can join multiplayer and still.....there are no servers listed . Its been over 30 hrs now.

any other steam users with the same prob still?

You got some firewall software ? looks like when the binary changed you need approve such changed file to be able communicate again ...

you first STEAM user with such issue to be fair (note: i use STEAM myself)

thanks for the reply, im surprised im able to reply here even ...lol . What should i do? deinstall the game and try reinstalling it again?

You are the only helpful person on this forum. It seems that the other moderators and immediate associates to bohemia are more concerned about me double posting than helping me with my problem.

Moderators aren't required in any way to help you, dman777. Their whole purpose is to keep the forums in order. Many (most?) of them aren't involved in the development of the game and thus have little or no more insight into how the game works than the rest of us.

As for the rest of us posters... if we don't have anything useful to add and no clue what's wrong, should we then post just to say we don't have a clue? o0

thanks for the reply, im surprised im able to reply here even ...lol . What should i do? deinstall the game and try reinstalling it again?

You are the only helpful person on this forum. It seems that the other moderators and immediate associates to bohemia are more concerned about me double posting than helping me with my problem.

Who do you think spammed Dwarden on Skype to ask him to look into your issue?

You need to stop bitching about the moderators/moderating and get back to your specific issue.

ok no bitching here, ive found my thread that i can reply on. I went ahead with the deinstallation and reinstalled the game again from steam. I fired up the game again and all seemed ok till i went to the multiplayer option...Again no servers are listed and just a green circle shows up so i can host my own game. Am i the only one that has this problem from the steam update? On the reinstall there was no patch needed as it installed it to ver. 1.03.58...right away. Any help would be appreciated .

Hi dman777

Print a screen shot of what you see.

Kind Regards walker

hi guys i finally resolved the problem! I noticed that even though it was listed as an "allowed" item, my internet security (norton antivirus) was stopping me from seeing the servers list after the 1.03 update. The only way to get it working was to disable norton antivirus during the playing of this game. Im glad i solved this problem and i was wondering if any others who use nortan antivirus have encountered this problem. I apologize for the repeated posts but i was getting anxious after 3 days and i felt like an addict on withdrawal!

Hi dman777

Explanation

Your problem is that when you update the exe of any program it is different from the exe your fire wall originaly alowed through. An update of any program changes it. Since your firwall designed to spot changes to exe's as part of your computer protection it will not let the something it no longer recognises through.

Solution

The brute force option of turning off your fire wall will always work but it means your computer is no longer protected by your fire wall. So that is not an ideal solution.

The better solution is to:

1) Delete the existing pass through of ArmA II in your Firewall.

2) Then with the firewall on start ArmA II.

3) Now Start ArmA II multiplayer so the server browser is up

4) [Alt] [Tab] to windows Desktop

5) There will be request for ArmA II to have permission to access the internet.

6) Permit ArmA II to have internet access to browse servers

7) [Alt] [Tab] back to ArmA II

8) Select a server see if you can play; if you can fine just play ArmA II problem solved!

9) If not; in some fire wall setups the Gamespy browser list and actualy playing on a server are two seperate rules in the firewall

10) [Alt] [Tab] back to windows desktop

11) Permit ArmA II to have internet access for playing on servers

12) [Alt] [Tab] back to ArmA II and play ArmA II problem solved!

Kind Regards walker

thanks man for the info, i actually deinstalled norton since it slowed down my computer too much. I now use avira anti vir since its offering the same protection while using much less cpu resources.

After messing with arma 2 online, i noticed that the gameplay is much smoother now and slightly improved on fps and graphics. Im not using a top end comp system but running it on an an ati 4890 on highest settings gives me no problems like it did b4 the patch. I also found a 130 man server and surprisingly there were barely any bugs and it was not laggy. The patch was definitely a step in the right direction and the game can only improve from here on, still remains the most graphically pleasing and realistic sim shooter ever made.