Sign in to follow this  
Dogtags

1.03 frustrations

Summary of things to note in 1.02 for me. (After fresh reboot)

• I got Receiving... black screen on and off in single player
  • Had flashing textures on buildings all the time
  • Had bad performance looking in certain directions, FPS drop by 70%
  • Had CTD's sometimes, specifically with Device Freed error
  • I did manage to have the odd 30 minute game
  • I could not play MP because of the Receiving... problem

Summary of things to note with 1.03 for me. (After fresh reboot)

• Texture loading for buildings takes much longer
  • stuttering and low FPS is more common now even in small villages
  • Flashing white triangles small and large mainly on ground happens after a couple of minutes play, accompanied by very low FPS, 5 FPS
  • CTD's more prevelant, happen after a few mins now all the time
  • Cannot get a SP game happening unless I am in the forest ONLY
  • Shadows flash, appear/dissapear unnaturally and all over the place

I am lost for words, new drivers installed, new patch and I have to give up. Had high hopes graphical glitches would be addressed in 1.03 seeing that many were complaining but all that was fixed in general was mission bugs, flares etc I mean WTF!

Car analagy again - Your cars engine is screwed but all you do is change the friggin blinker bulb and expect the engine to work better, WTF!

As a last resort I am going to get a brand new HDD, install Windows 7 fresh, ARMA2 fresh, GPU drivers fresh. If that doesn't work then LOL

I play ArmA2 at 1:02 because there is no server exe. How can a MPGame without bringing the server exe. 1:03 I hope the Windows server exe Dedicatet yet come. Since many clans with me have already asked.

Will there be a type ?????:mad:

Considering that 1.03 just came out, I think complaining about there not being a dedicated server release of 1.03 yet is a little impatient.... in other words, yes, there will be a release, just wait.

I've got all of these exact same symptoms too...

stuttering and low FPS is more common now even in small villages

Flashing white triangles small and large mainly on ground happens after a couple of minutes play, accompanied by very low FPS, 5 FPS

CTD's more prevelant, happen after a few mins now all the time

Shadows flash, appear/dissapear unnaturally and all over the place

Didn't have any of these problems in 1.02...

8800GTS

AMD 6000+

Its like some wierd graphics conflict, or stressout that wasn't present before...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I didn't think the fps could get any worse, but it looks like Bis have proved me wrong lol. Now who was it that said "some performance tweaks included in the patch." Oh yes, I remember now, that would be Mr Placebo lol. I thought performance tweaks were meant to make the game run better not worse. So does anyone know when the next patch is due out lol? This is getting like that film "Groundhog Day," same crap just a different day.

Edited by Jackdaniels

Just noticed this thread after posting in another...

I've got the same crazy white jagged texture flashing symptoms reported here... the game shudders and FPS drops - eventually it locks and crashes...

It was working reasonably OK - I'd been playing for a while before - installed the patch and haven't been playing much since!!

I hope nobody tells me it must be a problem with the graphics drivers!

Totally disappointed with 1.03:(

All the graphical bugs with ATI 4850 are remaining and there is even a couple of new ones. E.g. my whole squad must have invented an invisibility pill for they all dissappeared all of a sudden and I could only see the green diamonds in midair.

Textures stilll flickering, missing, loading slow as hell, silver heads, helmets burying deep in soldiers heads...terrible. So long we had to wait only to get this...?

Considering that 1.03 just came out, I think complaining about there not being a dedicated server release of 1.03 yet is a little impatient.... in other words, yes, there will be a release, just wait.

Personally I think this is one of the most valid comments I have heard, the biggest draw of the game is the MP part so a dedi server.exe is a must on release of a patch.

I am sure most of us would have been happier if they had held the release of the patch until such times as the dedi file was ready since they have effectively killed the game until such times as it is released for most people.

Luckily for our clan we noticed the problem straight away and most members were advised to wait before they instal the patch so we can still play.

UPDATE:

Well I spent all afternoon on it. Bought a new 1TB HDD, installed Windows 7 then installed Win 7 Catalyst 9.7 drivers. Then installed ARMA2 before anything else. Updated ARMA2 to 1.02 NOT 1.03 yet.

The game is a 300% improvement over when I played it on XP. Frame rate big improvement, most stutter gone, towns and cities no lag, flashing triangles gone. Had one CTD in 2 hrs play now, acceptable. Even tried MP and it was brilliant! HDD still thrashes a lot, BIS MUST work on performance and using of RAM. This confirms if you have a 15%+ fragmented HDD you may get problems loading textures, may even force the Receiving... bug because things are taking so long to load.

So what was the problem? who knows, fresh install of an OS can do wonders. Maybe if I did a fresh install of XP it would be just as good who knows.

Anyway I think that about confirms it not being hardware issues and Windows 7 rocks! looks very nice, clean, easy to use. Looks like Bill Gates and gang are going to get some of my money when it is officially released.

Try the new drivers, for Nvidia fokes that is, 190.56. Trying them now.

Also had some o.5 second freezing when flying around, really odd, but in general Cheranus runs a tad better I would say, except for the 0.5 second freezing which happens as it seems at random.

I have the same problems like Dogtags mentioned in the opening post.

The game is unplayable for me and I'm going back to 1.02.

I-Buffer error messages or wrong Textures in the RPT, DX something errors and so on (am at work so I can't copy paste it).

That is with Win XP SP3 Prof, ATI 4890, Cat 7, Q9550 and 2 GB RAM.

What really drives me crazy is that I never had the "Receiving" bug before, now with 1.03 every time I play.

Xeno

• Flashing white triangles small and large mainly on ground happens after a couple of minutes play, accompanied by very low FPS, 5 FPS

I am lost for words, new drivers installed, new patch and I have to give up. Had high hopes graphical glitches would be addressed in 1.03 seeing that many were complaining but all that was fixed in general was mission bugs, flares etc I mean WTF!

Car analagy again - Your cars engine is screwed but all you do is change the friggin blinker bulb and expect the engine to work better, WTF!

As a last resort I am going to get a brand new HDD, install Windows 7 fresh, ARMA2 fresh, GPU drivers fresh. If that doesn't work then LOL

What makes you sure its software related? My guess is temperature, flashing graphics usually means that.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

UPDATE:

Well I spent all afternoon on it. Bought a new 1TB HDD, installed Windows 7 then installed Win 7 Catalyst 9.7 drivers. Then installed ARMA2 before anything else. Updated ARMA2 to 1.02 NOT 1.03 yet.

The game is a 300% improvement over when I played it on XP. Frame rate big improvement, most stutter gone, towns and cities no lag, flashing triangles gone. Had one CTD in 2 hrs play now, acceptable. Even tried MP and it was brilliant! HDD still thrashes a lot, BIS MUST work on performance and using of RAM. This confirms if you have a 15%+ fragmented HDD you may get problems loading textures, may even force the Receiving... bug because things are taking so long to load.

So what was the problem? who knows, fresh install of an OS can do wonders. Maybe if I did a fresh install of XP it would be just as good who knows.

Anyway I think that about confirms it not being hardware issues and Windows 7 rocks! looks very nice, clean, easy to use. Looks like Bill Gates and gang are going to get some of my money when it is officially released.

Haha, Touché!

Still, its pretty shameless that you had to go to these extremes to get A GAME to work properly. I have no mayor problems, wished performance was better...

Edited by Baxalasse

Same reception screens as before with 1.03, as soon as I shoot a building from a plane for too long in a big city, or in many other cases.

But now, moreover, I have sometimes huge fps falls (0.05fps), and I have to kill arma2.exe process manually to get out.

That is not an hardware pb, all bios and drivers are up to date, and fps when no bug is occuring are 20/60fps. No temp pbs, hdd runs fine, and needs no defrag.

Also tried every tweak for hours, no way to fix the "reception" screens.

I'm really disapointed that BIS took time to fix so much minor bugs, letting this big one down...

My specs :

e6400

2Go

HD3850 512Mo

XP SP3

I seem to playing a different but the same game to you guys. I have texture popping bla bla aswell in single player( i dont have any issues with the campaign at all though). But we all know that this game is a beast and you have to put graphics on medium and low and even the next years hardware or the year after is the only thing thats going to fix alot of this stuff up. Yeah it sux, but arma 2 isnt the only game to ever advance thier game way beyond all of our systems. Every 3 years a game comes out that kills everything and all hardware out there unless you have the top of the line system. Arma 2 like crysis before it , like Oblivian before that, like Morrowind before that. Like the first ghost recon before that. Is just the next advancement in technology as far as having MASS units on screen at once is concerned Rome total war was very difficult to run on high when it first came out with MASS units on screen). Thats the thing making the game have low fps in single player is all the units sitting on the map walking and flying around. Unfortunately arma 2 BIS have chosen to really go all out with the bell sand whistels that have made even the newest systems struggle. In a years time just like Crysis was, everyone will be saying its easy to run. Pc gaming has never been any different.

I do agree though that companies that go all out like this and Crytec etc can learn a few things from Battlefield and Call of duty 4 mw. But then Battlefield 2 shipped with 4 maps on release and it took 6 months before any other maps came out and was buggy as for about a year. Then new hardware came out and everyone could play it easy like everything else.

If you use the editor you will see that the game runs smooth as in the editor without all the units running around.

And for people that have 3 year old hardware , are you really expecting a 2009 (we arent to far away from 2010,4 YEARS old hardware) game to run on 2006 hardware on high graphics?

I have a 8800GTS 512mb, intel core 2 duo E6700 3ghz, 3 gb ram, adn xp. I run on average 35 fps - 50 fps on average, and in the editor up to 70 fps. This hardware i have is at least 3 and a half years old. I run game on medium to low on single player. and high on editor. And even with the game running reasonably well , i still understand that 3 year old hardware is going to be difficult to run this game. Its the nature of the beast of pc gaming. Why do you think this ISNT on consoles? and if it ever gets there think of how much they will have to leave out, and the crap watered down experience the console people will have to endure, a completely different version that theyll wonder what all the fuss is about from pc gamers. It doesnt matter WHAT upgrades or patches come out if you dont have the latest hardware to run it unfortunately.

My advice also is if you can run this game ok on medium and its not too bad and playable is dont rush out and get todays latest stuff, WAIT for the series of video cards AFTER that come out AFTER nividia 200 series next year or whenever it happens. Because ill quote a pc gamer's golden rule "dont go for perfect, go for good enough" If a game doesnt run very well, dont get todays hardware, get tomorrows and if a game runs ok and you can live with it then keep with what youve got until that hardcore game actually arrives on PC and you are FORCED to upgrade..................................

Edited by nyran125

Here we go again, fresh install of windows and it might just work for you. Well I was stupid enough to try just that and guess what.. It never worked.

Try the new drivers, for Nvidia fokes that is, 190.56. Trying them now.

When will people realise that it's not the nvidia driver that is screwing up this game?

What makes you sure its software related? My guess is temperature, flashing graphics usually means that.

Well maybe it's because the forum is littered with complaints about the same thing. What makes you so sure it's not software? There's is a bigger chance it is software what with all the other bugs this game has.

Edited by Jackdaniels

Another angry complaint.

Fact : Some people fixed the issue by installing a fresh OS or changing drivers. If it doesn't work for you, stop telling everyone else that they're wrong.

If it doesn't work for you, then try everything, then give up and ask for a refund.

The patch works great for me,i've got a 5-10 fps increase and the texture loading is a lot better.The only downside is i've lost all my campaign progress :mad:

The funny thing is my specs are rubbish compared to a lot of you guys ( pentium D 2.8ghz...9500gt...4gb ram)..but i've never had one crash or error.

Another angry complaint.

Fact : Some people fixed the issue by installing a fresh OS or changing drivers. If it doesn't work for you, stop telling everyone else that they're wrong.

If it doesn't work for you, then try everything, then give up and ask for a refund.

He won't stop. It's in his vein.

Glad it worked for you. :)

A week old installation of the Windows 7. With patch 1.03 I've noticed a big increase of the performance. Arma2 runs a lot smoother than before.

But I've already had 2 crashes during multiplayer in 2 hours. But I think it was server-side bug/problem, cause It happens me a lot in Domination map. In Evo map I've never had a single crash.

Another angry complaint.

You really are missing the point here aren’t you! Did all the complaints in these forums pass you by or something? I'm just surprised that you think all this is expectable, but there again you have nothing to worry about because your game is running all so smooth. You should visit my cafe one time, I could serve you rotten food all day and you would still say it was nice once I added some sauce. Wasn’t it you who was telling everyone to hold tight for this patch as if it was going to be an answer to everyone’s problems – LOL. Well patch 1.03 out and here we are telling everyone to reinstall windows – LOL.

Btw, I cannot get a refund because the shop says I broke the seal or believe me I would.

Edited by Jackdaniels

Wasn’t it you who was telling everyone to hold tight for this patch as if it was going to be an answer to everyone’s problems – LOL. Well patch 1.03 out and here we are telling everyone to reinstall windows – LOL

Now, I dont think Bulldogs has a glassphere in which is wirtten what the devs will bring/solve in the next patch.

He finds, that the problem which he hoped that its ficxed is in fact not fixed. But still, he provides some other suggestion how to make the game work properly..

Many hopes did lie in the 1.03 patch. Most of the people thought that the devs would fix the hardware problems first.

But no one could definitely say that they would.

So, now, they did adress engine-issues first.

But I think we can be sure that they are aware of the hardware-related problems and will start to fix'em.

Anyway, _when_ they will be fixed no one can tell you but the devs. If they will be fixed everyone can tell you. Though some put more hope in their answer than others.

But ranting and complainig (without contructive critisism) will hardly help. It may indeed demotivate more that it helps.

I dont say that your complaint is not justified. But: I'm getting tired of all those "Not properly working, dont want you to give a chance to improve it, want my money back" threads and persons.

How about helping to improve the game?

Edited by -s!Gm4-

Thanks sigma, exactly what I was thinking.

Honestly Jack, I'm not trying to insult you and I never said 1.03 would fix all the problems, I believe my exact words were that I hope it fixes your problems.

What I said, and what I meant, was that your complaints don't bother me, but when people say that something they did fixed it and you insult them telling them that they're lying because it didn't work for you, well that's just insulting and inacurate and not at all helpful in any way.

I have the same issues.

AMD Phenom II Quad @ 3.2ghz

4GB RAM

GTX 275 896mb

Completely unplayable. Reinstalled Vista yesterday, latest Nvidia drivers, no luck. Gonna download Windows 7, but i didnt want to dual boot this thing... Hope theres a hotfix for this...

sounds like video cards overheating to me, or detail settings too high. the game does not support large memory addressing and crashes out when it uses more than ~2gb of memory. on my system that is a Video Memory setting of default. i crash out when i travel across to great a distance in a short period of time. setting video memory to High fixed all my game and display driver crashes.