Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Sound broken by 1.03?

Those affected, what version do you guys have. I've tested it under Steam version (no issues) but when I get a chance I'll dig out my old German version and see if it is any different.

I'll also add that I'm using

E7300 (@3.5Ghz)

Asus E9800GT

Asus P5K/EPU Motherboard

4GB Gingle Ram

a lot of hard drives

X-Fi ExtremeGamer

Logitech 5.1 Speakers

Windows 7 64bit

Those affected, what version do you guys have. I've tested it under Steam version (no issues) but when I get a chance I'll dig out my old German version and see if it is any different.

I'll also add that I'm using

E7300 (@3.5Ghz)

Asus E9800GT

Asus P5K/EPU Motherboard

4GB Gingle Ram

a lot of hard drives

X-Fi ExtremeGamer

Logitech 5.1 Speakers

Windows 7 64bit

1.3 (German)

Eth

Edit.. oops, thought I had sound corruption in the German version, turns out I had kicked the cable half out.

Not getting any sound corruption in either version now, but as a side note, got corruption error with

"ADDONS\soundmissions.pbo.bi.bisign"

while patching 1.03

Edited by Bulldogs

Could we get a confirmation please from one of the BIS dev's that they are looking into this?

This aint just a small bug for me this makes it simply unplayeble with sound on.

Edited by Fansadox

You won't get conformation, and shouldn't. Post it in the bug report area and it'll be looked into.

BTW, I know you guys have probably tried everything, but just in case you missed it, try lowering the sound accelleration in directx (dxdiag)

Other than that, I hear reverting to older drivers helps.

Is there a report in the A2 CIT?

i can confirm now that there is sound issues ingame. when more then one thing is firing, the sound slowly fades out with static then no sound, and after a short time the sound just pops back in.

Im about to try out Daniel K 2.0 support pack

Supports

Sound Blaster X-Fi series Support Pack 2.0

Supports the following X-Fi models :

- Creative SB X-Fi PCI (OEM/Retail Elite Pro, Fatal1ty, Platinum, Platinum Fatal1ty Champion, XtremeGamer, XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro, XtremeMusic)

- Creative SB X-Fi OEM SB077x PCI (Hendrix models for Dell, HP, Gateway, Lenovo, Fujitsu-Siemens, Alienware and others)

- Creative SB X-Fi Titanium PCI-E (all Retail/OEM models)

- Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1

- Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=141125&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

If that doesnt work i give up :(

505 boxed DVD here. Win7RC 32bit and SB Audigy2 (crap i know). But all installed with latest drivers.

Tested some cockpit shooting from aircrafts and the sound distorts instantlly and then it leaves it disted. Sounding horrible tbh, and it goes back to normal if i dont shoot after maybe 3-4 seconds.

Hoping for hotfix on the sound issue rather than to wait for the next patch. Usually BIS deals with bigger issues pretty fast.

Is this reported everywhere btw? "Bug thread" on this forum and "Dev Heaven". Will check later as i dont have time atm. We need it to get fixed. There was dist before in 1.02 but not to this extent. This is a bigger problem.

EDIT: Shooting burst or auto as a infantry unit will destroy the sound as well. I can shoot single bullets without this problem, but more than 1 bullet and everything gets distorted.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Im about to try out Daniel K 2.0 support pack

Supports

Sound Blaster X-Fi series Support Pack 2.0

Supports the following X-Fi models :

- Creative SB X-Fi PCI (OEM/Retail Elite Pro, Fatal1ty, Platinum, Platinum Fatal1ty Champion, XtremeGamer, XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro, XtremeMusic)

- Creative SB X-Fi OEM SB077x PCI (Hendrix models for Dell, HP, Gateway, Lenovo, Fujitsu-Siemens, Alienware and others)

- Creative SB X-Fi Titanium PCI-E (all Retail/OEM models)

- Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1

- Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=141125&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

If that doesnt work i give up :(

Ok this didnt work even though its a better pack then the original drivers from creative.

I give up see.

noices, crackling and sh*t

Vista32 SP2 + Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium(Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Driver 2.17.0007 — 07/30/09)

had no problems before 1.03

Noticed a new thing with the sound.

When i press ESC to see the option menu it sound "CLICK". and when i ESC again to go into the game the same sound is played. Sounds like it turns the sound on and off. Or if its some sort of spike. Not sure.

EDIT: I have found a heap of settings in Win7 under sounds. I tested some sample rates and some gave this click sound that is heard when i press ESC in ARMA2 with 1.03. And it also says in the Win options that programs have control to use different settings. Im going to test if there is something that can be done to eliminate the distortion in 1.03. Maybe it is windows that is spooking. I hope so.

EDIT2: Temporary solution - lower the in-game volume to around 50% and raise windows volume. Im using an amplifier hooked to my PC so i dont suffer anything from this.

Result: No distortion - for me anyway.

EDIT3: I can still hear some small clicks now and then. But at least the sound doesnt get destroyed all the time. Works somewhat for now.

Test it.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

EDIT2: Temporary solution - lower the in-game volume to around 50% and raise windows volume.

Tested it before i changed drivers and after. It gets less indeed but its still there the crackling and the loss of sound. I noticed that the whole sound got changed in a way. Dont know how and i didnt see anything in the changelog about it but things in the game soundengine has changed.

It definitely sounds better than it did prepatch. One thing to note, I don't get any sound corruption but between campaign missions I get an error that the counter sound(the clock ticking over) is missing.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

This kind of corruption usually occurs when too many sounds are trying to access a limited number of channels at one time.

My last suggestion to help would be to go to control panel -> Sound -> Speakers -> advanced, then uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

My last suggestion to help would be to go to control panel -> Sound -> Speakers -> advanced, then uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

Thx for the tip didnt fix the problem :(

Made a video and posted this in the bug thread. I found out that the distortion goes away when the last "click" comes. When i start shooting autofire it distorts. When i then wait a while ....CLICK! and the sound is back to normal.

You cant hear the distortion in the video as i lowered the volume in-game. But you hear the clicks. The last click sets the sound engine back to normal.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brYZtm90t1Q&hl=sv&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brYZtm90t1Q&hl=sv&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Alex

I have the same clicks Alex72. It sounds like it just shuts down the sound in total for a few seconds and then starts again. In my case even Teamspeak is affected by it.

been having issues with the sound since it came out.. first i tried using my CL x-li card. which had intense cracking and sound distortion... and playing MP would either crash the sound to silence.. or distort it so much id hav to mute everything.

recently bought a Asus xonar D1 as i had thought it may be a Creative issue (after reading about card issues on several web forums). Same issues. And when the sound system is being stressed the 5.1 channels will also swap around, or go silent. Coupled with the usual high pitched screeching and cracking.

its damn annoying.. and ive not been able to force myself to play since 1.02 in the hope 1.03 would fix the sound engine issues.. and make it more stable / better performing.

judging from other peoples post im not sure i even want to try 1.03 :(

edit: thought occurs.. its worse when im MP for me.. SP can be crackle free for a lot of the time. Its mainly in MP.

So could the inbuilt Voice over Net / or external programs like TS/Vent be aggreivating it?

Edited by sandzibar

I have the same clicks Alex72. It sounds like it just shuts down the sound in total for a few seconds and then starts again. In my case even Teamspeak is affected by it.

Yes! Exactlly the same issue we have mate. So this problem crosses between different cards and OS. So it is an ARMA2 1.03 issue and not becuase our drivers are outdated etc.

Alex

ok, i got such issue with my X-fi XtremeGamer both 32bit XP and Seven 64bit

oh wait ... you mean the CLICK at end of autofire ? i hear it now too looks like sound sample issue

ok the more shots are auto-fired the louder the click distortion is

atm i hear only the distortion on the end not start

Edited by Dwarden

Click at end of autofire? The click is in the beginning and at the end... have you watched both my videos and the one Alex made>?

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

ok the more shots are auto-fired the louder the click distortion is

Indeed

If i dont have my in-game volumes at 50% or lower autofire/vehicle MG's will totally distort my sound until it sounds like a box of crushed bisquits. If i wait a few secs ...CLICK! and all is back to normal.

But i found out that i could lower the volumes and get rid of the distortion. It did not however remove the nasty clicks all over. And yes it do sounds like someone made a bad soundmod with not properly clean samples, but we know thats now the case. BIS standard sounds are like this now and MarkXIII non released soundmod im testing is the same. And it didnt sound like that in 1.02.

Well we know there is a sound problem now at least. Just hope BIS finds the problem and hopefully we get a hotfix soon.

Alex

I have a PCI-E Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion sound card, running vista 64bit and also get the sound issues now as well. I can shoot, but after the shot, it sounds like my soundcard is failing or something. I thought it was maybe a soundmod I was using, but even in vanilla I got it. :(

Lower the volume to 50% or lower (radio, effects & music). Removed the distortion for me, but clicks are there. However its playable until BIS does something about this.

Alex