Sign in to follow this  
lt_darkman

Analogue Throttle

Has anyone got this to work? If so, how?

Options > Controls > Aircraft controls - I can see the Thrust (Analogue) and Brake (Analogue) options listed and setup both correctly detect any analogue axis I care to try. Back in the editor however sat on the runway in my F35 nothing happens at all.

Am I missing something?

P

I tried it out with a A-10 and it seem to work for me.

I got one problem though. It seems that this new analog options does not work with helicopters and if you map the throttle on your joystick to both the new and the old throttle option the old one seem to override the new one. This means you can't use your joystick for both airplanes and helicopters?

Or am I missing something too?

Wait are you telling me that the analog throttle works for fixed wing but not helicopters!?

I was so excited about this fix, but that's just plain shoddy fixing if this is the case, either way I'll be back on either whining or praising the devs for this fix depending on the accuracy of that statement.

Keep us posted, fellas. I'm stuck at work and this is the only thing I wanted for Christmas this year. Please let us know how it's working.

Helicopter seems exactly the same as before.

For fixed wing it seems like 0-50% throttle is an analogue amount of brake, 50-100% is an analogue amount of throttle...

0-50% for brake seems like an AWFUL lot. id rather have 0-10% brake, 10-100% for throttle.

or maybe ive just configed my stick wrong.

Helicopter seems exactly the same as before.

For fixed wing it seems like 0-50% throttle is an analogue amount of brake, 50-100% is an analogue amount of throttle...

0-50% for brake seems like an AWFUL lot. id rather have 0-10% brake, 10-100% for throttle.

or maybe ive just configed my stick wrong.

Ah, you set up Brake/Thrust (Analogue) on the same axis. I get exactly the same result when I do that.

P

Edited by Lt_Darkman

I did, also tried setting them on different axes - i have two throttle controls on my stick, tried them set on separate axes, however below 50% throttle there was no effect at all.

For me my throttle on my X52 pro works with both choppers and airplanes. But like people said allready.. only below 50% it has no effect. Also i tought ARMA 2 was compatible with 2 joysticks ingame... SO i try my thrustmaster steering wheel for driving and x52 pro for flying. Driving go's fine... But the steering wheel somehow overrides my joystick controls... When i try to fly a plane with both joysticks it keeps pointing his nose in the air.

The 50% "issue" is probably because Arma2 sees each axis as two controls: Axis+ and Axis-.

For me the whole package worked this way(let's say my Saitek X52 throttle axis is called "throttle":

1) Clear all previous mappings for "throttle"

2) Bind "Analogue throttle" to throttle+, bind "Analogue break" to throttle-

3) Bind "Increase throttle" to throttle+, bind "Decrease throttle" to throttle-

Voila, jets now work with the analogue throttle and helos with the old system.

The 50% "issue" is probably because Arma2 sees each axis as two controls: Axis+ and Axis-.

For me the whole package worked this way(let's say my Saitek X52 throttle axis is called "throttle":

1) Clear all previous mappings for "throttle"

2) Bind "Analogue throttle" to throttle+, bind "Analogue break" to throttle-

3) Bind "Increase throttle" to throttle+, bind "Decrease throttle" to throttle-

Voila, jets now work with the analogue throttle and helos with the old system.

Are you sure that work? If I do that "increase throttle" overrides "analog throttle" for the airplanes. I can not move slowly down the runway like I can if I unbind the "increase/decrease throtte" and only use the analog option.

Are you sure that work? If I do that "increase throttle" overrides "analog throttle" for the airplanes. I can not move slowly down the runway like I can if I unbind the "increase/decrease throtte" and only use the analog option.

After more testing I'm actually not so sure anymore. It seems that the result of binding both is some kind of weird hybrid mode, which seems analogic at first but isn't. I was able to move slowly down the runway, but the throttle definitely acted differently than without "increase/decrease" bound.

Guest RKSL-Rock
After more testing I'm actually not so sure anymore. It seems that the result of binding both is some kind of weird hybrid mode, which seems analogic at first but isn't. I was able to move slowly down the runway, but the throttle definitely acted differently than without "increase/decrease" bound.

Yeah, the analogue throttle is nice but unless you want to rebind your axis each time you swap form helo to plane its pretty much useless. Binding both the "digital" and analogue axis seems to negate the Analogue system. which is disappointing.

And the 50% issue i get as well nothing i've tried with my HOTAS Cougar seems to work.

I think this is one feature that needs reworking. :butbut: I was rather looking forward to a decent throttle system. Maybe if they apply it to helos than it wouldn't be an issue. I wonder why they didn't?

Seriously if they went through the effort to apply this to fixed wing, I'd imagine its not too much of a stretch to do it for helicopters. I think its just we bitched so much about with airplanes but we meant it would be greatly appreciated for helicopters as well.

Did you play ofp?

I did yes, although admittedly I very rarely flew back then. Why? :o

So I've been playing with this, and the only benefit I can see to the Analog Throttle and Analog brake is for taxi purposes. So what I did on my X52 Pro was, I set the regular digital throttle increase and decrease to the regular throttle control (the Z+ and Z- control). And then I set the analog throttle and brake to one of my other slider controls (in this case, the thumb roller switch on my throttle). So now, if I need to do a slow subtle taxi move, I can use the thumb switch. But when it comes to actually flying, the standard throttle inputs work. Just for clarification, to taxi, I move the digital throttle past the "Brake" input point, around 30-50% throttle, and then I slowly move the analog thumb roller switch forward to engage the analog throttle resulting in a smooth and slow taxi.

This certainly isn't ideal, but seeing as the analog throttle makes hovering nearly impossible in VTOL airplanes, (and totally impossible in helos), and since the red dual applied analog and digital throttle results in weird behavior, this is the only solution I can figure out.

Maybe a hotfix will correct the behavior of the analog controls.

Words can't express my sadness...

It is specifically for choppers that the analogue throttle was so desperately needed. Why, for all things holy, is this omitted??

COME ON BI.

This seems like something of a blunder on the part of BIS... really, all the other axes in the settings have their counterpart: Left vs Right pedal, Thrust up vs Thrust down...

the new ones don't... they're a single mapping... in a game that treats each axis as if it were 2... in ArmA, every axis is treated as having its 0 point in the middle, with it's axis+ being the upper half and axis- being the lower... mapping only the throttle+ action to the throttle binding will only assign the top half of your throttle... and it's now lacking travel range...

The problem is worse than the bottom half of the axis not having any effect... it means that the top half of the throttle travel is missing... meaning you can only rev up to 50% throttle now... that's why helicopters can't get off the ground anymore... also notice how every airplane speeds up slower now

I flew the Osprey around for a while... it will only take off on full power now... and the slighest pull back sends it plummeting down again... it's missing throttle... the cobra won't even get off the ground... it does spool up and becomes light and hoverish... but it can't climb on 50% throttle...

really, shameful blunder... I've been looking forward for this feature ever since the OFP days... now when it's finally addressed... it's buggy... :(

Cheers

Edited by TheHarvesteR

Ok, so now we have analoge throttle for fixed wings aircraft at the cost of flying helicopters?

No way to configure both at the same time?

Please don't tell me that's true.....

MfG Lee

Words can't express my sadness...

It is specifically for choppers that the analogue throttle was so desperately needed. Why, for all things holy, is this omitted??

COME ON BI.

the analogue throttle works on helicopters too... the problem is that since it's lacking the upper range of travel, the choppers can't climb, since they can't get off the ground on only 50% power...

Please BIS, this feature can really improve the flying in the game... it can take it from an arcadish simplification to a quite realistic flight model... I know it's not the main point of the game, but for some (like me), flying is the top selling point here... I am an ArmA pilot... I have an X52 Pro and rudder pedals... my only wish is that the throttle on my aircraft would rev up to 100%

Cheers

uhm, try this...

Map your throttle to Thrust (Analogue) and delete the mapping for Brake (Analogue). Why would you want the throttle to also apply to braking? ;)

This should solve the 50% problem and all stop or all go effect you have been experiencing. I think the Brake (Analogue) option is there if you have another axis to throw at the brakes (like the toe controls on my CH ProPedals - heh). :cool:

The controls work fine for me in both the rotary and fixed wing models. All we need now is a control for "Parking Brake" so that we don't have to continually hold the plane back with our toes if Brake (Analogue) is mapped to them.

Another finding is that engines won't start unless you have applied a bit of throttle to juice them first, which I think is kinda nifty.

After spending a few hours messing around tonight, I'm totally stoked about the new controls! The flight models are semi-believable and flying is now a joy. Try it with the Sahrani add-on and set your view distance to 10,000. Absolutely superb when combined with the TrackIR 5 I bought after Dslyecxi's video and endorsement. :D

FYI, my system specs:

Core 2 Duo @ 3Ghz

4 GB RAM

Geforce GTX 275

Vista 64

TrackIR 5

CH Fighterstick, ProThrottle and ProPedals

I don't see why they don't implement the same system for throttle as any other flight sim?

I.E. there is no negative throttle, just positive across the entire range and a button assigned to airbrakes?

I've not had chance to try 1.03 yet, so is that what you mean about the 'work around'? Is it possible to assign the full range of the positive thrust to the throttle slider, then assign negative thrust to a button?

I guess that would screw the choppers up though because at 0% thrust I'm guessing the chopper just hovers instead of losing altitude?

uhm, try this...

Map your throttle to Thrust (Analogue) and delete the mapping for Brake (Analogue). Why would you want the throttle to also apply to braking? ;)

I don't have my brakes set up on the same axis as the throttle... I set the brakes on one of the thumb rotary switches... so the throttle has the axis all by itself.

Even so, it will only occupy the top half of the axis range... and won't reach full power...

And I agree, the flight model is now semi-believable.. and that's awesome for such a huge game as this... sadly though, the analogue throttle is a no-go for now

Just set your throttle at the bottom of its travel, select the Thrust (Analogue) and push the throttle up. It automatically configures thrust up to throttle up and thrust down to throttle down, which is "the same system for throttle as any other flight sim."

Now where is my "That Was Easy" button... ;)

p.s. Did you know that you can also set the sensitivity of each of the controllers' axes? Select Options, Controls, Controller and then Customize. This may also provide some help with your thrust problems.

p.p.s. Placebo - I'm thinking this one probably belongs in Troubleshooting.

Edited by KaBoNG