Sign in to follow this  
-Sof-Jacksonfive

1.03 Performance

Has 1.03 Improved your performance  

514 members have voted

1. 1. Has 1.03 Improved your performance

• Yes, i notice improved performance
    • No, there is no visable difference
    • 1.03 has actually hurt my system performance!

More stuttering than before now .... have completely defragged the hard drive.

Everything else stayed the same

I'm experiencing the very same, didn't have that before.

I had problems with stuttering in the 1.02 version, it's much smoother now BUT I am now getting massive hangs. It's like all of the stuttering is building up. My game hangs for about 2-4 seconds every now and again - which is almost unplayable. I preferred it before.

I practically get "loading zones" now, every 200m this happens, I honestly cannot stand it - I'm considering reverting to 1.02.

Edit: It goes for exactly 4 seconds, every 100-200m :\ Will this be fixed? How long until 1.04?

Edited by LJF

While playing in the campaign mode I noticed a small FPS improvement, small but I did notice it was a bit smoother.

OK, just tested out a theory, every (exactly) 60 seconds it freezes for (exactly) 4 seconds. It does run smoother now but 4 seconds is ridiculous, it was only half a second before.

Edit: I'm in the process of uninstalling/reinstalling, bringing it back to 1.02 so I can actually play :\

Edited by LJF

Well I selected the third option. I posted a thread in troubleshooting regarding why. It seems foliage is causing some huge fps loss now in 1.03. Where I was once getting 40ish fps zoomed in on leaves, or grassy areas, i'm now chugging along at 15 fps or so. Sucked all the enjoyment out of doing missions with squadmates on maps with grass on full, etc.

OK, just tested out a theory, every (exactly) 60 seconds it freezes for (exactly) 4 seconds.

No program running in the background? I dont have these freezes, but i reckognize it from before where it was a background task that updated itself over and over wich caused freezes at exact timings.

I just got a small amount of testing this morning. Will test more later and see if performance is improved. I got a ton of better performance with Win7 (went from XP), and i hope it still is as good with the new patch - or better.

The few things i got to test made me happy though. Could sneak up on AI, shoot through bushes/outside of trees where everything was stopped before.

Alex

Performance seems the same for me, but getting some sound problems, didn't have that before.

No programs running, well none that wouldn't be running anyway (and they were running when I was in 1.02).

It's the same on UTES except the hang is slightly less - about 1/2 second. This is what makes me think it's something to do with the size of the level (I always had stutter on Chernarus but it was more regular and much less intense).

I was on several different servers last night, everything seemed generally fine except on a few of them I had the previously mentioned periodical stutter. This seemed to not be present on every server, however... and theres no sign of it in single player/editor for me

If there is stuttering issues just move the Arma directory and files close to the MFT on the hard drive and defrag using consolidation using Ultimate Defrag. This helped my stuttering a lot. Do not look for FPS boost with this.

Phenom x4 955 BE @3.8

HD4890

I LOVE Ultimate Defrag. Best defragger out there.

Yeah, just been playing now, with absolutely no stuttering, the difference is my HDD was auto-defragged since the first time i tried 1.03 straight after patching, with a presumably fragmented drive.

OK, just tested out a theory, every (exactly) 60 seconds it freezes for (exactly) 4 seconds. It does run smoother now but 4 seconds is ridiculous, it was only half a second before.

Edit: I'm in the process of uninstalling/reinstalling, bringing it back to 1.02 so I can actually play :\

I'm sure it's not but have to ask anyways

Does this only happen in multiplayer?

Only reason I ask is 'cause the time frame of every 60 seconds coincides with the update time of the Wireless Zero Configuration Utility.

Whoa just noticed the borders into la la land doesnt lag anymore.

Good work BIS! We are moving forward - business as usual. :)

PS. Hey just noted FFAR's impacts are improved. MadMatt? :) Looks great with the random extra smoke puffs. Good work.

Alex

I was thinking the same thing Bulldog.

If you are playing multiplayer on a wlan with Vista, then it is most likely that. And as said, it has nothing to do with the game.

Its actually unplayable for me. If i look at trees the game actually freezes.. what the !*&*?

Going back to 1.02...

Same here, but duration of freeze is lower, depends on load. No processes to speak of in background, same under XP and Win7.

It's actually in the game, because it freezes exactly every full minute. So if you speed it up to 4x SetAccTime it's every 15sec.

I almost... almost - bought in to this wierd BIS syndrome again...

I play for two hours - all is well...

I patch - the game goes crazy - wild artifacting of graphics, far more noticable and heavy stuttering, then it crashes - every time (while it was running it may have been 1fps faster - hard to tell)..

I uninstall and reinstall Arma2 and patch back to 1.02...

I play the game for two hours - all is well...

I almost believed it - I almost started checking my graphics drivers, my wlan (except I don't have one), my Win7 install, my BIOS, my HD, my defrag, my process priority, my background tasks, my... etc etc etc

Two months in the making and I'm afraid the patch seems to have done nothing for more than half of us, with a small proportion reporting significantly worse behaviour!

It's almost funny...

almost...

Edited by DDLeBonn

Dont know why people are expecting a performance improvement when there is only 1 line suggesting optimisation in the patch details.

This patch was not about performance, but about getting some of the gameplay fixed and campaign issues.

I would also love a performance patch but didnt expect to see any improvement in 1.03.

Yapa

When I try and host my own multi player game I get a error Noentry 'bin\config.bin/RscDisplayMultiplayerSetup/controls/CA_B_West.SideToggle'.

Another person that I know has it also. Other then that it seems to run the same so far.

Seconded, got the same error in warfare. Performance seems identical, though the AI difference is definitely noticeable (big step forward, IMHO).

And unlike other users, my steam update went fine: downloaded the patch quickly, and it was all gravy. My word of advice is always let steam do what it wants to do and don't try and interupt or cancel it, as weird stuff tends to happen. Also, I always verify game cache after download and before I play.

I get this error on steam version every time I join or host a game and get to the team selection screen. I already tried deleting the game completely including addons, and redownloading.

No increase / decrease in performance here, but i'm really happy with some of the fixes :)

I get this error on steam version every time I join or host a game and get to the team selection screen. I already tried deleting the game completely including addons, and redownloading.

Are you still able to load your hosted game? I get this message to, but after clicking OK, i'm still in the lobby screen and am still able to press the start button to load the game.

When I try and host my own multi player game I get a error Noentry 'bin\config.bin/RscDisplayMultiplayerSetup/controls/CA_B_West.SideToggle'.

Another person that I know has it also. Other then that it seems to run the same so far.

I get this whenever I try and join a multiplayer game.

I can join still but msg pops up occasionally. Also other config.bin msgs occur but can't remember exact name for each. Only happens when joining multiplayer, single player is fine.

I uninstalled and deleted arma2 from my steam dir and all remnants including files in my documents and reinstalled, twice. I am still getting these errors.

Other than that, the game runs much better now.