Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ARMA II Patch 1.03 & Dedicated Server Released .

I'll also confirm that if you pause your update, or reset your computer in the middle of an update, Steam doesn't reset your patch. When you continue patching, it continues from where it left off. The % you see is just what is LEFT of what you have to download.

I made the mistake of pausing the update myself, and brought up the game thinking the update had resumed. I came back to realise that I had to start it again myself. XD I lost out on an hour and 1/2 on the update out of the about 8 total it took (6.5 of which was actual download)

That may have worked for you but mine reset at 55% and has taken about 4 hours to get back to 88% :)

All my mods are still there. Steam doesn't touch any folders that it's not told to. As long as you haven't modified your primary game files, you should be good.

Hi, this is on steam side, we send them fixed files and except that they will generate diff file for download. We cant do more than write them that something is wrong with size, what we did. Cant do more, hope they will fix that.

well i was at work all night, and i came back and booted up... and read the news... and was like WTF!!! CAKE!!! at least the AI dont have super hearing... maybe the next patch they could have them with less super sight, and more "lets go to specsavers" sight

I had ArmA1 on steam and there was no auto-updating, you could manually update your files.

This isn't a STEAM issue as much as it is a configuration issue with ArmA2 and Steam. I own many games now on Steam and you don't have to re-download entire games when ever there is a minor update.

Hopefully BIS will figure out where in the Steam developers manual the settings and switches are found to properly toggle the update off of "Start from scratch" mode. I certainly will not be downloading 5000 megs of data every time there is a minor update to ArmA II.

I had ArmA1 on steam and there was no auto-updating, you could manually update your files.

This isn't a STEAM issue as much as it is a configuration issue with ArmA2 and Steam. I own many games now on Steam and you don't have to re-download entire games when ever there is a minor update. .

As mentioned quite a few times today.

The issue is not on either side, it is due to steam's updater which doesn't support BI's way of updating the addons(in this case, the update).

Hopefully, that'll be ready in the next steam client update.

Every time you think, it can't get any worse; BI is showing how worse it really could get.

Releasing 1.03 without serverfiiles - Great Job, BI. :rthumb:

It’s just getting ridiculous.

same here, steam is unfortunately downloading the entire game! I also have some mod installed. That really suck. I know it's not BI's fault but something should be done about that because this game is huge

Every time you think, it can't get any worse; BI is showing how worse it really could get.

Releasing 1.03 without serverfiiles - Great Job, BI. :rthumb:

It’s just getting ridiculous.

Totally agree with that ! And some servers have the 1.03 server files, so it should be available, even in beta status !

Totally agree with that ! And some servers have the 1.03 server files, so it should be available, even in beta status !

They're using arma2.exe -server with steam in offline mode.

I think.

Did any of you try uninstalling all your mods (physically remove them from the directory - not just disable them in the startup parameters) and then patching?

I'll also confirm that if you pause your update, or reset your computer in the middle of an update, Steam doesn't reset your patch. When you continue patching, it continues from where it left off. The % you see is just what is LEFT of what you have to download.

I made the mistake of pausing the update myself, and brought up the game thinking the update had resumed. I came back to realise that I had to start it again myself. XD I lost out on an hour and 1/2 on the update out of the about 8 total it took (6.5 of which was actual download)

Ah you are correct, I'm at 100% , I just checked Steam Bandwidth monitor and I've downloaded almost 2GB, plus the 2GB from before the progress bar restarted, thats the 4GB download there.

So all my previous posts are incorrect, sorry, I'm gonna go hide now :o :bye:

As mentioned quite a few times today.

The issue is not on either side, it is due to steam's updater which doesn't support BI's way of updating the addons(in this case, the update).

Hopefully, that'll be ready in the next steam client update.

So...

We can either say:

"Lets hope Steam adapts to BI's way of updating files"

OR:

"Lets hope BI adapts to Steam's way of updating files"

This huge-download issue can be fixed by either party...

The size of this download is a disaster for me.

I'm an Australian user, and 4.3GB is over half my entire monthly quote, as we're capped over here.

The workaround is for BI/Valve to have the patch hosted on the usual Aussie ISPs that mirrir Steam content - ie Telstra/Bigpond. However the patch is not being hosted.

Therefore, I simply can't patch the game until that happens. After weeks of tolerating a bugged game, it's a cruel tease to dangle it but not let me actually have it...

Please BI - sort this for Australians please.

Edit - after trying to download this all day it kicked into life a few minutes ago. Appears it's now hosted locally - thanks guys.

It's going to cost me the same amount I paid for the game to download this patch. Common BIS, this is unacceptable. You guys are clever, surely you could write a small patching utility which is downloaded via Steam together with the changes, that can then actually implement the changes like your normal patching tool does?

Did any of you try uninstalling all your mods (physically remove them from the directory - not just disable them in the startup parameters) and then patching?
Its an issue for all ArmaII+Steam owners. The steam version of the patch downloads an entire data file instead of just the parts that changed...

I'm an Australian user, and 4.3GB is over half my entire monthly quote, as we're capped over here.

My monthly quota is 4.0GB :( :butbut: :mad:

So...

We can either say:

"Lets hope Steam adapts to BI's way of updating files"

OR:

"Lets hope BI adapts to Steam's way of updating files"

This huge-download issue can be fixed by either party...

The only people who should be taking responsibility for this is Steam.

They are who i personally purchased the game from and it's Steam who are updating my game.

I couldn't care less how it happened,all i know is it's steam that is soaking up my DL quota, and therefore they should be made accountable.

Fortunately for me ,unlike many here, i can purchase more data blocks if need be.

maybe someone could do the 4gb download, diff the files from old and create a smaller patch or something similar. surely steam just works on md5 sums or some similar hashing check ? or is it all tied into the steam app ?

The workaround is for BI/Valve to have the patch hosted on the usual Aussie ISPs that mirrir Steam content - ie Telstra/Bigpond. However the patch is not being hosted.

Therefore, I simply can't patch the game until that happens. After weeks of tolerating a bugged game, it's a cruel tease to dangle it but not let me actually have it...

Please BI - sort this for Australians please.

Edit - after trying to download this all day it kicked into life a few minutes ago. Appears it's now hosted locally - thanks guys.

I'm an Australian user too, and I have a 100gb limit on an ADSL2 connection.

It's your own fault you have shitty internet.

You should do some research, and educate yourself before signing a contract with a horrible ISP, instead of just going with something like Telstra or Optus (the two worst ISPs in the country, in value for money, AND stability) like most of the country's half-wits.

/Rant over.

wow, Its like being back on the EA forums here, and I don't just mean the quality of some of the posts ;)

;1394395']I'm an Australian user too' date=' and I have a 100gb limit on an ADSL2 connection.

It's your own fault you have shitty internet.

You should do some research, and educate yourself before signing a contract with a horrible ISP, instead of just going with something like Telstra or Optus (the two worst ISPs in the country, in value for money, AND stability) like most of the country's half-wits.

/Rant over.[/quote']

Woopty friggin doo for you, ever think that some people in Australia are either:

A. Limited by choice of broadband suppliers.

B. Live in rural areas and aren't able to access ADSL2.

C. Not able to afford high speed large data plans.

Where I am, we have only just been able to get ADSL2, I did do the research, and have been a happy Internode customer for 7 years, but it still costs me $130 a month for 55Gb just because I do not live in a major metropolitan center.

I'd suggest the next time you want to rant, get all the facts, then stop and think before you say something stupid.

South Africa is great. Most of it's nature is beautiful, we have sunny skies and great weather most of the time. We also have the best rugby team in the world *cough*, etc. etc. Last but not least, we have quite an active gaming community, despite all the negatives listed below.

Our negatives are:

1) We pay huge import taxes.

2) We have a poor dollar and pound exchange rates.

3) Our local game and software distributors doesn't know about games such as ArmA, it's only interested in selling consoles and console games these days. So, ArmA II ever appearing in a shop is extremely unlikely.

4) We are one of the most expensive countries in the world when it comes to the internet.

5) We don't have decent internet everywhere yet, so it sometimes forces us to use less capable wireless connections.

6) Our standard internet accounts are limited to 3GB and 5GB, depending on who your service provider is. If you want to purchase more you pay your ass of for it. My internet costs alone last month worked out to R1500, which is 10% of my salary (I'm a software developer and earn a fairly decent salary). Having to download patch 1.3 will cost me an additional R675, that is more than what I paid for the game when I bought it through Steam. (I pay R150 per 1GB at my ISP and I don't have a choice between ISP's)

So, if BIS ever reads this, perhaps they will understand that downloading a patch worth 4.5GB is just not acceptable in some parts of the world. Myself and others have done our share to help distribute ArmA II in South Africa, I just feel that it's fair that BIS does their part in making it easier for everyone.

So, if BIS ever reads this, perhaps they will understand that downloading a patch worth 4.5GB is just not acceptable in some parts of the world. Myself and others have done our share to help distribute ArmA II in South Africa, I just feel that it's fair that BIS does their part in making it easier for everyone.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1394264#post1394264

As someone who's had internet access since 97 in various forms, from 33.6 dialup through to my fortunate situation of 50/10 unlimited I do appreciate your pain, but if Steam do not handle the situation in a bandwidth friendly manner what is it exactly you think we can do? Please read Ohara's post.