Sign in to follow this  
DrDeathGNJ

Upgrade from p3-600 to amd thb 1100? great or no?

This upgrade is all revolving around Operation Flashpoint so thats why I am posting it here instead of some other Tech site or something! My Fellow OPFP Players here is what I care about, not some Quake 3 Tard telling me whats what. smile.gif

I have a Tyan Trinity KT 133 S2390 Mainboard at my disposal. With AMD 1.1gig Athlon{NoneXP, can do XP thlon thru BIOS Upgrade Yahoo} and mainboard is also 200mhz front side bus if ya didn't know.

Here is my current system and hardware that will be used with this Trinity Mainboard.

I would appreciate it if any of you, my fellow hardware geeks\gamers, would give me your input on how it may run with this hardware and if I can look to have problems with certain things. And most importantly can this upgrade handle OPFP at high settings with good FPS?

here go's.......

Full Tower ATX 300watt Powersupply

Promise Ultra 66 Controller PCI Card

Gainward Geforce3 Ti500 64megs DDR AGP

Santa Cruz 3D Sound Card PCI

Intel Ethernet PCI Card

10gig Maxtor 7200rpm

20gig Maxtor 7200rpm

29gig Maxtor 7200rpm

Dual Boot OS's running... WinME & WinXP

Well thats the meat and potatoes of my hardware. As you can see its fairly new stuff and everything currently works great. I figured that a AMD 1.1 might give me a great boost in performance?

But I won't do this upgrade if you people tell me it won't work well with all my stuff!

Thanks Again to anyone who gives me their input!

Sounds like a reasonable upgrade, just be aware that you'll obviously have to buy new RAM.

Also, given all the drives in your system (I assume there's a CD/DVD/burner as well), your power supply is on the weak side, and should probably be replaced with something beefier to avoid stability problems.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 19 2002,05:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds like a reasonable upgrade, just be aware that you'll obviously have to buy new RAM.

Also, given all the drives in your system (I assume there's a CD/DVD/burner as well), your power supply is on the weak side, and should probably be replaced with something beefier to avoid stability problems.<span id='postcolor'>

- 300w should be fine depending on the maker of the psu. But if you run into strange rebooting problems...

- the need for a memory upgrade depends on the current memory you have. If you have PC133 then there is no need to upgrade it.

Are you sure that it is actually the S2390?, because according to the Tyan website that motherboard is compatible only with Athlons up to 1ghz, so a 1.1ghz probably would not work properly with it.

However there is another board, which uses the KT133A chipset, the Trinity KT-A (S2390A), which has a 200/266mhz FSB and that can take standard Athlons up to 1.4ghz, and XP's up to the 1800+.

In any case I would suggest that choosing to upgrade and to what depends very much on the cost, if you already have both things, or it is going to be a free/as good as free upgrade, then definitely go for it, but if not then look around first and try to get the best stuff you can for your budget, you would be suprised at how small the price differences are with processors, especially the Thunderbirds, for a little extra you can go up a few processors.

Anyhow, in terms of what you have suggested, I am sure that with the other stuff you have, your computer will be pretty darn good when you have finished with it, and OFP will definitely benefit from any upgrade over 1ghz, so good luck with the upgrade.

yes i would also say that a 300 w is enough i have a similar system and 300 w is ample

Hilandor, do you also have three 7,200RPM hard drives, plus a CD/DVD? A 300W PSU is cutting it very close for a stable Athlon-based system, the older Thunderbirds draw a lot of power.

Here is a quote from AMD's recommendations for building Athlon-based systems:

Q. What size power supply will I need with my AMD Athlon processor?

A. For a minimally configured low power-consumption system, you can use any of the approved power supplies listed on our website. A 250-watt power supply is the minimum but you need to estimate the system configuration requirements to

ensure system stability. Minimally configured means: 128-Mbyte RAM, 16-Mbyte AGP graphics, internal V.90 modem, 10/100 NIC, floppy drive, CD-ROM or DVD, and 5400-RPM hard disk.

If you are not certain of the final user-configuration, it is safer to install one of the approved 300-watt (or larger) power supplies listed on the recommended power supply listing. If the Athlon processor-based system will have more powerconsuming accessories than the basic minimum, we recommend you build your system using 300-watt (or larger) power supplies. By using a larger power supply, the system is also robust enough to handle future enhancements.

For the latest recommended power supply list, you must consult our web site at:

www1.amd.com/athlon/config

They are saying that if you aren't building a low-power system with just 128MB of RAM, a 16MB AGP card, and a single 5400RPM drive, you should get a 300W PSU.

With three 7200RPM drives, a 64MB video card, and more than 128MB of RAM, I would definitely get a beefier PSU to ensure stable voltages and a stable overall system.

This is a very important topic because our "systems" affect game performance.

On a side note, I just went to 2 computer stores to get an additional 128 MB DDR PC2100 RAM. Nope, none sell it yet. It's new they told me, and they do not carry it yet. I will order it on line.

DrDeathGNJ: when you say "at my disposal," what do you mean? Do you have it yet? If you don't have it yet, I may talk you out of it. It appears you want a CPU and motherboard? Please clarify, and I will tell you my upgrade saga.

Tales_From_Topographic_Oceans and others thanks for the responses.

To answer some questions, when I say "I have at my disposal", I mean "I DO HAVE THE MOTHERBOARD AND AMD CPU WITH ME AND READY TO BE USED AT THIS VERY MOMENT".

I am also aware that Tyan has come out with newer revision of this Motherboard namely the S2390a and more recently the S2390b.

Someone here had made a mention that the particular board I have, the s2390, can only do 1ghz is both right and wrong.

Thanks to BIOS upgrades this motherboard is able to go higher then 1 ghz now and maybe even to the lowest AMD XP chip, but I have not received anything from tyan support verifying this.

See this Motherboard and AMD cpu I have is from my brothers computer. He did not like the performance he got with it in some Graphic Applications so he rebuilt his system to a P4 1.8 gig.

So this is why I have this at my disposal.

So some of you are saying go for it and some say no! I don't really have the money at the moment to by squat do to money being tight. So I was hoping I could do my free upgrade here and be happy!

Also as far as the 300watt PSU some are mentioning, I don't think its a problem and more then enough for my stuff. Reason being is I once seen a AMD server, at a company I did a tech job for, that had 5 SCSI Harddrives,Two Tape Backups drives and 2 CDRWs running on a 250watt power supply! Cooky ass server I ever seen but it ran fine. So I think 300watts is more then enough and if some CPU's need more then that then I say its a crap CPU or a bad chip. Theres just no intelligent reason why 300 watts shouldn't be powerful enough for any system really.

So there ya have it and again thanks for your input people!

Tyan is one of the worst mobo creators. I would recommend an Epox or VIA mobo. They overclock much, they are the fastest out there and are stable. Anyway 1.1Ghz are fine biggrin.gif

OK listen to this and tell me how my problem now is possible!!

Go back and look at my old system and everything so you have reference.

I put in the Tyan KT Motherboard with AMD Athlon 1100mhz with the 256 PC133 SDRAM I got from my bro.

Now listen to this!!! I am so puzzled!!!

I SEE ABSOLUTELY NO PERFORMANCE INCREASE WHAT SO EVER!!!

I mean I literally had to take a double look inside my computer to make sure I wasn't dreaming I changed the motherboard, because the computer is running and acting identical to my former P3-600. I even have done some benching on 3dmark2001 and actually got a score of only 3801 and my former P3-600 scored a 4320. WTF is going on?

I am messing around with the motherboard BIOS setting but nothing is changing the performance.Also for some reason I am having doubts that the BUS speed is 200mhz like it should be for some reason but, the Tyan KT board is Automatic so I can't set it myself.Reason I think the bus speed isn't running at 200 because 3Dmark 2001 said my bus speed was only 100! And I know this board is a 200mhz front side bus! So I am confused!

With the New BIOS patch I did for the motheboard I can Overclock the cpu very high but I am not so into that!

I thought AMD Athlons where good? I am completely puzzled!

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!!

Atlhons are very good CPUs. Anyway what RAM are u using?

300Watt are enough for your setup.

No your fsb should be 100Mhz. Is like your memory or core speed in your video card like. Your core is Core speed x2 since it using DRR memory biggrin.gif

Same goes for Athlon l think. I have the 266fsb version biggrin.gif

I managed to OC my 1Ghz to 1.103Mhz.

Some tips. Get the AMD miniport driver for your system.

Mind that XP are slower in gaming that ME. My 5200 setup went to 4500 with XP pro.

In short works is something that holds ur system back like, crap mobo or somethign wrong in your config.

Your 1.1 Athlon should KILL a PIII 600. Hell that thing you have matches a 1.4Ghz P4 and beats it in some cases smile.gif

AMD poWaA

DodgeME: The AMD Athlon XP beats the P4. XPs do start at about 1.3 GHZ (model 1500+). I have an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ that runs at 1.4 GHZ but slightly beats the P4 1.6 GHZ in CPU tests.

DrDeathGNJ is talking about a AMD Duron Thunderbird not the AMD XP.

I have a GeForce 2 MX400 64 MB and a Soyo K7ADA MO.

DrDeathGNJ: I know under "Control Panel" you can click on "Systems." Click on the Performance tab. My work machine says 32% Resources Free. At home, my machine says 82% Resources Free. I assume the higher the number the better the game will play.

OK let me throw out some specs from the Tyan Motherboard I installed along with the CPU specs.

The CPU again is a AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1100mhz not a Duron or XP. I verified this by using various pics and charts from some tech sites on verifying AMD cpu's. This AMD is not a XP cpu, it is the last AMD chip before the XP's came out I believe.its maybe about 6 to 8 months old but don't quote me on that.

The Tyan motherboard is using the VIA KT-133 Chipset{vt8363 and vt82c686a}.I have 256megs PC133 SDRAM installed in bank 1. The memory is made by Micron{generic}.

I tell ya what, I will list again my former setup and the newer one and maybe someone can tell me why the NEWER AMD setup is NOT faster then my old setup. Just doesn't seem possible.

OLD SETUP.....

Full Tower 300watt PSU

ASUS P3BF-440bx Motherboard AGP x2 Slot 1 100fsb

Intel P3-600e Slot 1

356 PC100 SDRAM{generic}

Gainward GF3 Ti500 64megs DDR AGP

Promise Ultra66 Controller PCI

Santa Cruz 3D Sound PCI

Intel Ethernet PCI

1.44 Floppy Drive{of course}

56x Cd-Rom IDE

Plextor 8/4/32 CDRW IDE

Maxtor 10gig 7200rpm EIDE

Maxtor 20gig 7200rpm EIDE

Maxtor 29gig 7200rpm EIDE

Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse

Intel WebCam USB

Umax Scanner USB

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback

17inch CTR Monitor

Dual Boot OS's WinME and WinXP

Ok now the New Setup.....

Full Tower 300watt PSU

Tyan KT S2390 VIA KT-133 Chipset AGP 1x/2x/4x Mode

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1100mhz ZIF Socket A 200fsb

256 PC133 SDRAM{Micron}

Gainward GF3 Ti500 64megs DDR AGP

Promise Ultra66 Controller PCI

Santa Cruz 3D Sound PCI

Intel Ethernet PCI

1.44 Floppy Drive{of course}

56x Cd-Rom IDE

Plextor 8/4/32 CDRW IDE

Maxtor 10gig 7200rpm EIDE

Maxtor 20gig 7200rpm EIDE

Maxtor 29gig 7200rpm EIDE

Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse

Intel WebCam USB

Umax Scanner USB

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback

17inch CTR Monitor

Dual Boot OS's WinME and WinXP {xp didn't like the MB change, no biggie}

So there you have it old setup and new. As you can see little has change outside of MB and CPU.

So then again I ask, How is it possible the newer system runs no faster then my old system and actually benched slower in 3dMark 2002 then my old system?

I am baffled!

I myself see no increase in games or anything? WTF? I am lost. I should have seen something better I figure or maybe the whole AMD 1100mhz isn't what its cracked up to be.

Well any thoughts or something would be appreciated!!

That is what l was saying mate. Athlon XP are faster than P4 in clock per clock. His CPU which is 1.1GHz mathes a P4 clocked at 1.4Ghz.

Remove that sdr ram from your PC!!! Does the CPU even run with those sdr ram? Get 256MB of RAM and then see the difference. AMD athlons are based around DRR memory and putting some sdr ram on your mobo kills perforrmance mate.

I was talking about XP windows not CPU above. Just tried to tell you that XP windows score lower then the ME. in addition try the 27.70 drivers for your card. They kick ass. Download them from here http://www.madonion.com

Do some searching in the forums mate biggrin.gif

The AMD Thunderbirds are a step down from the AMD Athlon XPs. Since the XPs compete with the P4s, I assume the Thunderbirds compete with the P3s. That being the case, DrDeathGNJ is looking at an increase in 4-500 MHZ clock speed.

To settle this issue, go and search for a review of both CPUs. Here is an article.

In the article below, it says "It was the release of the 1.13GHz Pentium III that forced AMD to respond with their 1.1GHz Thunderbird today." I will note that "today" was August 28th, 2000.

Thunderbird

These two shots from SiSoftware Sandra should give you a rough idea of how AMD compares to Intel, my CPU details can be seen underneath the benchmarks.

CPU Arithmetic Benchmark:

benchmath.jpg

CPU Multimedia Benchmark:

benchmulti.jpg