Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

WIP JTD Fire And Smoke

The wind and the rain have an effect yes. The wind will cast the propagation search further, while the rain will shrink the size of that search. It's simplistic, but seems to work OK.

One of the addons that will be a *must* for our team squadnights. Amazing job DMarkwick.

Yep i can only confirm that this addon is amazing. Makes the battlefield much more alive and scary. If you have a base close to a treeline you can loose it due to a crashed heli or tank that blew up further away since trees catch fire. Just makes the game so much more dramatic. Looks amazing too.

Situations such as having a squad caught inside a forest fire and hover above it with a heli to pick em up at night... Real cool. ;)

Alex

hehe

I think there are some valid reasons why people may not want it, but I think it will meet or exceed most people's expectations. :D

There may be a reason why someone would not want this addon, but it certainly won't be valid.

[using the compelling voice of a trained hypnotist] RELEASE NOW!

So seriously....Is there a way to extinquish the fires if they become too close to valued property (IE-a base, vehicle, etc.)? Or do you just have to sit back and watch 'er burn to the ground?

I know this might be an issue for some other addon maker, but since you're doing such hard work, I was just finding out if you also had plans to battle the blazes.

Love the work.

[using the compelling voice of a trained hypnotist] RELEASE NOW!

I was and am honoured to help in the continuing beta test of this so I can say with some confidence, it WILL be released in time.

We've found one or two problems but I'm confident it'll be up to the usual JTD quality standards.

is there any way to get these smoke effects to wrk for the rocket launchers/ i understand that getting it to go on every rocket would be a performance hit but on the rocket artillery it could be a tactical godsend.

If you've ever seen a large rocket fire it leaves a smoke trail to the horizon. the MLRS firing effect is a crushing blow to such an awesome model.

So i have been beta testing DM's awesome addon. I have also told you about that the battlefield now becomes more dangerous - not to mention more immersive and even more war like. But i told you about that your bases and vehicles etc can be in danger from things catching fire and spread.

So when i tested this this evening and a KA52 made a pass over my simple base i built and rained down hell on my static gunner i had - things went from bad to worse. My medic tent, bunker walls and my guard tower all catched fire. Mayhem breaks out and im looking for the fire extinguisher... Where is it???!!! :D

What would be cool is IF its possible that someone with the skills needed could make some sort of fire fighting gear. Not talking about fire trucks and the whole nine yards (even though people that do make such addons will be in heaven when this is released), but some extinguisher you can have in the base. Maybe in an ammo crate?

Chaos broke out...

fire.jpg

The option now is to abandon base - wich in itself is cool ofcourse. :) Things can really go bad with this awesome addon hehe. You will all be happy with this addon. Its superb and adds so much immersion. More than just the fire & smoke... :cool:

EDIT: Being able to rebuild a base after these kinds of disasters would be so cool as well. The module for warfare building might come in handy now even more than before. :) All thanks to supermen like DM!

Alex

Edited by Alex72

I agree, I think this will be totally awesome, and as mentioned, it will actually lend itself to making the Warfare building UI more of a necessity.

In future versions of ArmA, I hope this is a pre-included part of the programming.

To the whole community- keep up the great work in making this the best game ever.

HESCO walls and sandbags on fire? Military forces are using somekind of fireproofed materials. Would be bad if soldiers have to be afraid that the whole base is burning down only because of incoming fire. ;)

Is there a difference between empty vehicles+objects and loaded/filled ones?

Do vehicles still explode and have many secondaries like in vanilla Arma2?

Any big performance issues with wildfire and burning industry/harbor places?

What about (small) water ponds and beach/sea areas - does the fire spread over, around or stop?

Will buildings/objects burn down (get destroyed) after some time?

HESCO walls and sandbags on fire? Military forces are using somekind of fireproofed materials. Would be bad if soldiers have to be afraid that the whole base is burning down only because of incoming fire. ;)

It depends on whether those items are building class objects. At the moment, all building class objects are susceptible to fire damage.

Is there a difference between empty vehicles+objects and loaded/filled ones?

Not at the moment. Probably later, when I have a successful MP release, I will change the logic from class based to amount-of-fuel based :)

Do vehicles still explode and have many secondaries like in vanilla Arma2?

Whatever is your ArmA2 install's vehicle destruction cycle will still be active.

Any big performance issues with wildfire and burning industry/harbor places?

There is a config fire limit to counter wildfire induced lag, and building don't propagate so much.

What about (small) water ponds and beach/sea areas - does the fire spread over, around or stop?

It depends on the vegetation. At the moment the propagation is limited to trees, vehicles and buildings, and is modified by the weather.

Will buildings/objects burn down (get destroyed) after some time?

Yes :)

Can some buildings be excluded? So that the sandbags for example will not catch fire. As you know my coding skillz are crap hehe, but wondering if there can be some script that excludes some building objects or is the whole "class buildings" doomed to burn? Maybe we need an addon to classify those objects into some other class?

Can some buildings be excluded? So that the sandbags for example will not catch fire. As you know my coding skillz are crap hehe, but wondering if there can be some script that excludes some building objects or is the whole "class buildings" doomed to burn? Maybe we need an addon to classify those objects into some other class?

The problem is one of list compiling. You need either a list of approved buildings, or it's opposite, a list of excluded buildings.

This looks all good, no doubt! But I will still dare to ask if you will release a version without the fire propagation?

I will probably use the fire version, but sometimes you dont want fire.

This looks all good, no doubt! But I will still dare to ask if you will release a version without the fire propagation?

I will probably use the fire version, but sometimes you dont want fire.

There is a config option to switch it off :)

Hy all, I'm working on the same stuff like DMarkwick, but with less impressive good looking ^^

I'd like to ask if it's possible to add shadows to particules, I try it, but I've got an error -> can' be use as a sprite, more than one LOD...

I test to set an A10 as a particule, BIS 'A10'.p3d have correct shadows setting of course but no shadows were produce with this use....

I'm beginner in editing, and I thinking a way to add shadow to particule.

Do you have an idea ?

Take a look to my first test of rolling smoke puff over fire.

Edited by Bizibiz

I did make experiments in ArmA1 with smoke shadows, but it was pretty unsatisfactory. I basically made some shadow-geometry only objects & spawned them from particles. But they were static, and the shadow logic meant that you couldn't see it at distance in any case.

You might try lights with negative brightness values, that has the effect of "sucking" light from the area. But using lights for this purpose has it's own issues, because the number of active light sources is limited in ArmA2.

ArmA3 - deferred lighting FTW :)