Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

WIP JTD Fire And Smoke

Fire and smoke addon for ArmA2. These are the very first glimpses of the new smoke, the fire isn't yet started. (Sometimes there is indeed smoke without fire ;)) The end result will probably be a little different looking, all the detail is in the tweaking but I am generally happy with the initial impression.

The full addon will hopefully have more or less the same features as the DMSmokeEffects addon for Armed Assault, but without so much default effects tweaking. I think I'm going to leave those alone, with the possible exception of building collapse dust.

Also hoping to incorporate propagating fire effects, so fires will spread among trees and buildings if the conditions are right. Chernarus looks to be built for propagating fire, with it's discrete forests & small isolated villages.

Anyway, the videos & screenies:

Forest fire test 1

Forest fire test 2

Forest fire test 3

arma22009-08-0501-55-44-32.jpg

arma22009-08-0502-40-33-89.jpg

arma22009-08-0503-51-30-76.jpg

arma22009-08-0503-55-47-39.jpg

Edited by DMarkwick

Looking Amazingly good so far!!!

Will it viewblock AI?

B

With luck & a prevailing wind ;)

The FPS drop will likely be horrendous for viewblock, but the option will be there.

Can't wait to see Chenarus on fire !

Looks lovely so far mate. Keep at it !

It's looking very good, indeed.

Keep it up!

Abs

Wow, if it works and fires can spread, I will be impressed by the ensuing firestorm that will soon cover the map.

A certain Prodigy track springs to mind lol............

:bounce3:

Fire propagation was really cool in Far Cry 2.

Any chance you can make it so the columns of smoke cast a rough shadow?

Hi, would that work on the ArmA 1?, looks very pimp. Let's C ya

Spreading fire?!

Now that's going to open a whole new level for missions.. Enemy hiding in a forest? Just burn it down! :D

Looks impressive, but i think it needs to be a bit darker, to me it looks like a column of dirt rather than smoke ^^

Well that's really nice to look but... is it realistic ? :o I mean, does a burning tank make so much smoke ? ... If you say it does, then that's really nice. To me, it seems a little too much exagereted ^^

Good going so far, i havnt messed with the smoke and fire in my mod as i knew your most likly be doing that and proberly be better at it hehe.

This looks amazing, period. I missed back in AA1 being able to see massive smoke columns in the air far away. This certainly looks a lot nicer visually as well. :)

omg this looks awesome any planned released date?

omg let's ask the most pointless question in forum history every time some opens up a new "Discussion" thread. ;)

Looks great DM. It's excellent you've brought your skills to A2. The A1 smoke effects rocked.

Well that's really nice to look but... is it realistic ? :o I mean, does a burning tank make so much smoke ? ... If you say it does, then that's really nice. To me, it seems a little too much exagereted ^^

Perhaps a bit exaggerated. Looks more like an oil fire.

Update:

I will be making the smoke more variable this time around I think. Less volume, more variance. So each source will have timed random variable settings like particle rate, wind affectedness, and initial velocity. This should mean that the smoke has different looks and shapes, more like how it should look for random burning of vehicles.

As a result of the aesthetic considerations, the viewblock will probably be restricted to the area around the beginning of the smoke, and for the first part of it's climb. Please take into consideration that this is a WIP update, that might change :)

The main limitation I'm coming up against is the dreaded particle scaling bug, where large particles can only be rendered up to a certain size onscreen, after which they are only drawn at one size. This means that zooming in or moving close makes the smoke effects look a little dumb sometimes. As a result, I'm tweaking the effect for mid-far distances.

Screenies:

arma22009-08-0701-57-38-78.jpg

arma22009-08-0702-45-49-62.jpg

arma22009-08-0702-55-39-00.jpg

Edited by DMarkwick

yeahh it looks so realistic:eek:,very good work.I cant wait for release:D

few questions:

-rework it particle effects for handgrenades or other explosions bombs,missiles or tankgrenades on ground?

-rework it the vanilla bullet dusk effekt for guns ?

-give it a wip. video where it can see the new smoke effects ?

sry for my english :o

Stephsen

????

0016d0dd.jpg

a10burningtank.jpg

sixfoureightyninebeijin.jpg

smithtank2070716ssh.jpg

smoke effects look nice, keep up the work

Big's pictures are right of course. Any vehicle with a diesel fuel tank is going to produce lots of thick black smoke when it burns.