Sign in to follow this  
b00ce

Aircraft crash physics.

To be honest aircraft look like poo when they crash into buildings and other objects, as seen in the video below.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCtCDyglZCw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCtCDyglZCw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

To make it look better, I propose that bis make it so when something like this happens at speed the aircraft goes through the building or tree, instead of bouncing off like a BB shot at an M1 tank. This would A. make the game look better and B. make heated battles all the more epic.

I would also ask that when a helicopter's rotors hit something they simply don't clip with it and make all sorts of angry sounds and stop working (being visibly broken off would be a nice touch;)), as opposed to the helicopter instantly exploding in a massive and unwarranted fireball. It would also be nice to not instantly explode in a normal crash as well (Unless they were flying at mach 20), I would like to see the helicopter hit the ground become completely broken/ catch on fire and then give us at least some time to evacuate before it explodes and kills us. :p

Appreciated.

Considering this game doesn't have much in terms of physics, some of what you ask for may never happen, even in mods. However additional sounds when rotor blades hit objects would be a nice touch. Something else to let you know whats happening other than the warning alarm.

Haha, you should have seen the crashes of planes and helicopters in all BIS games pre-ARMA2. It was borderline comical because the plane would just stop on a dime and instanly convert into a rusty one-piece wreckage.

I actually have to say it is a beauty to see a shot down plane have chutes come out and rush to the ground a ball of beautiful fire and it scrapes across the ground, this is one of the few areas that they really outdid themselves.

Now, everyone other aspect of vehicle physics feels like a late 90's game.

I agree partly, what i really hate is blowing up when hitting water, i would atleast like a chance to survive an emergency crash landing on the water.

We've all seen a plane try and land in the Hudson, with survivors.

I agree partly, what i really hate is blowing up when hitting water, i would atleast like a chance to survive an emergency crash landing on the water.

We've all seen a plane try and land in the Hudson, with survivors.

Thats exactly what i've tried to do with the C130. BIS should fix that :rolleyes:

What I really don't like is how planes often survive head-on collisions with things.

For example, on one mission, an A-10 taking off from a runway slammed a parked truck, just as it's landing gear was lifting off the runway, and it just instantly came to a stop, and was only partially damaged.

Considering this game doesn't have much in terms of physics, some of what you ask for may never happen, even in mods. However additional sounds when rotor blades hit objects would be a nice touch. Something else to let you know whats happening other than the warning alarm.

Well, I didn't say anything about physics though, at least not adding any. As you may well know, a plane that gets shot down does not simply float gently straight to the ground it keeps going in a trajectory similar to it's original flight path, plus gravity. What I'm saying is implement a system where a plane or helicopter doesn't "collide" with a building or tree or other vehicle after a certain speed but it destroys the building and the aircraft, if it wasn't already. The aircraft wreck carries on as if it was shot down normally, and doesn't collide with any other buildings/ trees/ radio towers/ vehicles (Provided it is traveling above the predetermined speed), destroying them too.

And I'm not talking about just adding sounds, The fact that I instantly explode if I miscalculate the diameter of my rotors and the width of a break in a stand of trees is annoying. The helicopter shouldn't explode just because the rotors became acquainted with a tree. The rotors should break off, or just stop working. The explosion should come after it hits the ground. Which brings me to my next point, the helicopter shouldn't explode if it hits the ground a little too hard, rather it should start fires which cause the damage that leads to a catastrophic explosion.

Though, new sounds would be nice. :p

I hope this clears any questions up.

On this subject, last night I was playing a version of this epic mission that me and a friend are making and i was unfortunately shot down in my Cobra... I landed upside down, ejected and ran away. There was no explosion but when I turned round the helicopter was a mangled blackened wreck... There is NO WAY I should have walked/run away from it. I would have expected that to explode on impact or maybe in mid-air, not float gently to the ground and let me get out.

I have had another issue with crash physics where getting shot down in an f-35 caused me to fall out of it and watch a fireball going past...