Who doesn't know situations like these?

Once again you didn't listen during the briefing, so you ran in the completely wrong direction. After walking through the middle of nowhere for hours, the friendly farmer from next door "borrows" you his old, rusty Pickup, to drive across the whole island back to your squad. But the brakes squeak and rattle of the exhaust pipe can hardly entertain you during the long trip.....

Or: The weekly family outing in Chernarus. It is hot and the old family coach has no air conditioning. Your wife on the seat next to you: "You are driveing too fast again!". The children in the backseat are complaining, too: "I'm hot." "I need to go to the toilet.", "When do we finally arrive?".....

Or: Cruising along "the strip" on friday night is one of your favourit hobbies. But the slightly clad ladies just always look at the other guys, never at you. To bad that your gÖlf tured out to be a lame TDI instead of such a "kick ass" GTI.....

But here's the one-in-all solution for all these problems:

Clayman's Car Radio

70759b79c7dc3cb3db2dd043755a84ed.gif

This turns every rusty skoda into the Pimpmobil No. 1! :cool:

Features:

• Fully working Car Radio for all cars and trucks in ArmA2
  • All ArmA2 musictracks already included
  • Add as many own musictracks as you wish
  • Filteroptions InGame / own music
  • Repeat Funtcion
  • Random play
  • 12-color display
  • 7-color softkeys
  • Two designs
  • Output Level depending on your soundcard / speakers ;)

New in V2.1:

• Adding own music will work now
  • Add additional vehicle types which have the radio available
  • Playlist editor
  • Main functions of the radio can be accessed via keyboard

New in V2.2:

• Drag & Drop Function for Playlist Editor
  • Create your own pre-defined Playlist (in userconfig .hpp)
  • No additional variables have to be used if not needed
  • Define vehicle types which don't have the radio available
  • Optional tooltips for most buttons

New in V2.3

• All Operation Arrowhead musictracks added
  • Added missing musictracks from Patch 1.05 (Eagle Wing)
  • Fixed: Some buttons didn't work after leaving Playlist Editor via Cancel button
  • Car Radio can now be found under Modules (F7) and has a custom icon

Installation:

Copy the two folders @CLAY_CarRadio and userconfig to your ArmAII directory. See pictures below:

Add the startup parameter -mod=@CLAY_CarRadio to your ArmAII shortcut. (Or use an ArmAII Launcher of your choice!)

Usage:

To make the Car Radio available in your own mission, place the Car Radio Module (found under Modules > Car Radio) somewhere on your Map.

That's it.

The Radio will be available in any car or truck on the map. Just board it any select 'Car Radio' from the action menu.

Controls:

Some of the control elements should be self-explaining, other might not. Here is a short description of them:

> - Starts the playback (changes to || )

|| - Stops the playback (changes back to > )

+ - Volume up

- - Volume down

>> - Next track

<< - Previous track

/\ - Cycle through filters increasing (ArmA2 Music > User Music > All Music > Custom)

\/ - Cycle through filters decreasing (ArmA2 Music > Custom > All Music > User Music)

OFF - Closes the dialog (music keeps playing!)

Playlist - Opens the Playlist Editor

Repeat - When last track is over, playback beginns from first track (on/off)('Repeat' shown in display)

Random - Random play (on/off)('Random' shown in display)

Key Col - Cycle through the different key-colors

Dspl Col - Cycle through the different display-color or sets automatic color change ('Col. Change' shown in display)

Design - Switches Design (Black / "Silver")

Playlist Editor:

Using the Playlist Editor, you can create your very own playlist.

The list to the right sowns all available tracks. On the left, you see your custom playlist.

< - Adds the track selected in the right list to your playlist (as last item)

> - Removes the track selected in the left list from the playlist

<< - Adds all tracks to the playlist

>> - Removes all tracks from the playlist

Restore - Restores the pre-defined playlist (in userconfig)(manually created playlist will be lost!)

OK - Closes the Playlist Editor and returns to the Radio, you custom playlist will be played

Cancel - Closes the Playlist Editor without saving any changes made and returns to the Radio

Show Tooltips:

It is possible, to show tooltips over some of the buttons of the radio, which explain the function of that button.

To enable these tooltips, write the following code into the init.sqf or the init-line of any unit on the map:

CLAY_RadioShowTooltips = true;

Add your own music:

To add your own music to the Radio, you first have to define it in your description.ext.

Now you can add it to the Radio using the CLAY_RadioAddMusic variable (in init.sqf or the Init-Line of any unit):

CLAY_RadioAddMusic = [ [<Track | String>, <Title | String>, <Time | Number>] ];

Track = The classname of your music, as difined in the description.ext.

Title = The title of the track, like it will be shown in the Radio.

Time = The lenght of the track in seconds.

At the end it should look something like this:

CLAY_RadioAddMusic = [ ["MySong01", "My Song 1", 123], ["MySong02", "My Song 2", 456] ];

Pre-defined Playlist:

You can create your own playlist, which will be available from mission start (Playlist: Custom).

Open the file '\userconfig\CLAY_CarRadio\CLAY_CarRadio.hpp'. Now you can enter your desired tracks into the array behind _userPlaylist. Format is the same as when adding own music:

_userPlaylist = [ ["Track08_Harvest_Red", "Harvest Red", 78], ["Track26_Organ_Works", "Organ Works", 69], ["MySong01", "My Song 1", 123] ];

Additional vehicle types:

You can add other vehicle types, which have the Car Radio available. For this, you have to add the vehicle names (from CfgVehicles) to the CLAY_RadioAddVehicles variable.

Something like this:

CLAY_RadioAddVehicles = ["M1A1", "AH1Z", "PBX"];

Vehicles types, for which the radio is not available:

Just like adding additional vehicle types for use with the radio, you can define vehicle types, which won't have the radio available, using the CLAY_RadioNoVehicles variable.

CLAY_RadioNoVehicles = ["SkodaRed", "HMMWV", "TowingTractor"];

Keyboard controls:

The main functions of the Radio can be used directly from your keyboard. The key for every function can be defined.

defaults:

PAUSE - Play / Pause

RIGHT ARROW - Next Track

LEFT ARROW - Previous Track

UP ARROW - Volume Up

DOWN ARROW - Volume Down

To change these, open the file '\userconfig\CLAY_CarRadio\CLAY_CarRadio.hpp'.

Add the desired key number behind any of the variables _keyPlay, _keyNext, _keyPre, _keyVolUp and _keyVolDown.

Known Bugs:

• Clicking on the next (>>) or previous (<<) keys very fast might result in the timer not working correctly.
  • Drag & Drop in Playlist Editor only works to add tracks to your own playlist. You can't remove tracks this way nor can you sort your playlist.

Download:

Version 2.3 for ArmA2 WITH Operation Arrowhead

Assault Mission Studio Mirror

ArmedAssault.info Mirror

Armaholic.com Mirror

Version 2.2 for ArmA2 WITHOUT Operation Arrowhead

Armaholic.com Mirror

ArmA2Base.de Mirror

Have fun!

Greetz,

Clayman

Edited by Clayman

Great idea, beats the boredom of long patrols :)

Is there any chance this could end up a pbo addon for the game in general and maybe using a DTA config to create your own tracklists?

Great anyway! Grabbing right now ... Need to put some long interview mp3's into this ... I assume its MP3's right? Think Sahrani Radio interviews would be good to listen to while driving the countryside.

Edited by mrcash2009

It will be possible to create a user tracklist in a future version. I have to play around with the userconfig a bit to get it working.

I like the interview idea. Now someone has to find out, how to broadcast Sahrani Radio directly into the Game. :D

Oh, and it's .ogg don't know if ArmAII can handle .mp3?

Superb. Now we just need Flight of the Valkyries playing when I'm flying the huey !

Hey for everyone that wanted a radio chatter mod this can act as one for vehicles at least. Get radio chatter tracks for convoys for humvees, aircraft for aircraft etc. Preatty sweet stuff.

Congratz to the release here as well :)

Clayman. I'm very impressed with this so far!

Could you release it as an addon so that it can be in every vehicle? Or even an iPod version for those long patrols :)

Thanks

ahh, where the hell does the config file go? What folder exactly. Keep getting a config file not found error than arma closes

.\arma2\userconfig\clay_carradio\clay_carradio.hpp

Nice..

Im also planning to do something like this if armalib2 will be made

Hopefully we will get Armalib2. but i have no clue if Kegetys will make it for arma 2 tho.

i''ll try to rewrite my armapod.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nuxxil#play/all/uploads-all/1/ltikvu2ge-g

anyway good work and hope you continue developing your car radio..

it would be cool if you used a real life car radio "picture" as you dialog tho :p

Ok bro, sorry new to this. Your saying in my arma2 directory, make a new folder called cuserconfigs?

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Awseome. Figured it out. At least that part. Where is this codeCLAY_RadioAddMusic = [["OneGreatSong", "One Great Song", 123]; finding my song? Their is no folder specified so how does it know where to look for my music?

Ive been thinking about making this myself, but you already did it and did it 10 times better then i could ever do. :)

Thanks for all the comments so far. Glad you like the Car Radio. :)

Could you release it as an addon so that it can be in every vehicle? Or even an iPod version for those long patrols :)

What do you mean with 'release it as an addon'? It's an .pbo, so I'd say it IS an addon. ;)

Regarding the iPod version, I've been asked this several times now. So maybe I'll add something in the next version.

ahh, where the hell does the config file go? What folder exactly. Keep getting a config file not found error than arma closes
Ok bro, sorry new to this. Your saying in my arma2 directory, make a new folder called cuserconfigs?

Simply extract the folders as they are in the download to your ArmAII folder.

ArmAII folder

\ArmAII\userconfig\CLAY_CarRadio\

Im also planning to do something like this if armalib2 will be made

Hopefully we will get Armalib2. but i have no clue if Kegetys will make it for arma 2 tho.

i''ll try to rewrite my armapod.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nuxxil#play/all/uploads-all/1/ltikvu2ge-g

anyway good work and hope you continue developing your car radio..

it would be cool if you used a real life car radio "picture" as you dialog tho :p

Now that looks really cool. Never heared of Armalib before (maybe because I never really played ArmA^^), but I'll keep an eye open for that. Seems to add some interesting features.

Using a picture for the dialog is something I was thinking about way back in the OFP days. But I figured out that it won't look right, at least not without a lot of editing the picture.

But I tryed to make the dialog look pretty much like a real car radio, and I think I did quite well with that. ;)

Where is this codeCLAY_RadioAddMusic = [["OneGreatSong", "One Great Song", 123]; finding my song? Their is no folder specified so how does it know where to look for my music?

There are basicly two ways to add own music. Using a description.ext for a specific mission or with an music-addon.

Either way, you have to pass the classname of your music (as defined in either the description.ext or the confing of the music addon) in the code. The game then automaticly reads the description or config file where name and location of the actual music file are.

Also check out the exampla mission to see how it's done.

WIKI Link for description.ext / CfgMusic

Add custom music to a mission

Greetz,

Clayman

Thanks for all the comments so far. Glad you like the Car Radio. :)

What do you mean with 'release it as an addon'? It's an .pbo, so I'd say it IS an addon. ;)

Regarding the iPod version, I've been asked this several times now. So maybe I'll add something in the next version.

Greetz,

Clayman

don't mind kremator, he is old and doesnt understand :); as far as this radio goes it is awesome so far, thanks!

Ok so I'll clarify for the hard of thinking - 'Without having to put it in the INIT of a vehicle'. All vehicles can inherit the car radio as standard.

Don't mind Shinobi575 - his sig is a non sequitur.

clealry your post is " non Sequitur"

Non sequitur (Latin for "it does not follow"), in formal logic, is an argument where its conclusion does not follow from its premises.[1] In a non sequitur, the conclusion can be either true or false, but the argument is a fallacy because the conclusion does not follow from the premise. All formal fallacies are special cases of non sequitur. The term has special applicability in law, having a formal legal definition. Many types of known non sequitur argument forms have been classified into many different types of logical fallacies.

know the defintion before useing the word, now stop trolling me and grow up.

Ahhh and he still doesnt get the irony ! Shows that you had to google it for the meaning .

United States - Intelligence. Very apt non sequitur for you :)

ON TOPIC ... really enjoying the radio in my missions.

Oooookay........ having that cleared out.....

I've found a little (major) bug, that causes music executed from a trigger or script outside the Car Radio not being played. Also the fadeMusic command overwrites the initial Car Radio volume setting.

Made a fixed version, so now it should all work correctly.

Download fixed version

Sorry for any inconvenience. :)

ClAY im dieing here. How do I create a description.ext. I got the music I want in a music/addons file in my mission but it still dosent show up in game. Where Do I put the track length etc?

OK, I'll try to explain as good and detailed as I can. :)

Create a new folder in your mission's folder (where the mission.sqm is located) and name it music. In this folder you place your music file (should be .ogg format).

Now create a new text file also in your mission's folder (not in the music folder) and name it description.ext. (Make sure it's description.ext not description.ext.txt)

Open this file with notepad or any other text editor and write this into it:

class CfgMusic

{

tracks[] = {ClassName};

class ClassName

{

name = "MyTrack01";

sound[] = {\music\FileName.ogg,db+0,1.0};

};

};

ClassName can be anything, but you'll need it later again. So maybe the name of your music track?

FileName.ogg has to be the exact name of your .ogg file.

Save and close the description.ext and return to the mission editor. (Note: After making changes in the description.ext you'll have to save or re-load your mission for the changes to take effect.)

Place the CLAY Car Radio logic. Write this into it's init line:

CLAY_RadioAddMusic = [["ClassName","Song Name",Length]]; CLAY_RadioVehiclesClass = [];

ClassName is the same ClassName as used in the description.ext

Song Name can be anything, this is the text shown in the radio.

Length is the length of your track in seconds (has to be a number ;) )

Now the radio should be ready to go with your own track included.

Again, I recommend to take a look at the example mission to see how it should look like. ;)

And/Or take a look at the links I posted here.

Hope you get it working now.

Greetz,

Clayman

Edited by Clayman

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write such an in depth explanation for one person. I appreciate it. I will try when I get home from work.