Sign in to follow this  
FINALCUT

Win7

everyone is saying this game runs better on Win 7,im getting 28-35 fps on average,will win 7 even improve this,or should i just be happy with what i got.around the bigger cities i drop down to low 20 fps and want to get better.also,where do i get win7,i am not very computer savvy so i need an easy download site i can trust.thanks.

Windows 7 is supposed to be better for gaming then Vista was, but its much the same concept. It turns off Aero, and other things that eat up graphical resources, however Windows is still not smart enough to disable un-needed background services while gaming. But thats whats AMD Fusion is for ;-)

I'm using Windows7 and it's been a performance increase over Vista and XP. Definitely recommend it.

About that, but when you're getting 25 fps, then 5-10 improvement is a lot.

Win7RC 32bit working great for me. And i was mighty sceptical towards 7 as Vista was a huge fail. I have played ARMA2 on XP PRO SP3 until some days back. I can report this:

I play now (Win7) with AA=HIGH, PP=HIGH and 2500 viewdistance. Compared to on XP where i had AA=OFF, PP=OFF and 1500 viewdistance AND lower FPS! So to me the move was very successful. I cant say what will happen with other gear, but for me it was like night and day. Fresh system with all correct drivers installed. I also use my high performance USB stick 4GB as "ReadyBoost" in Win7 where it is used as HD cache if i remember it correct. I can clearly see a difference with it ON and OFF. Less loading wich means less "load stutter" in its places. On ARMA2 start i also have it set to close down Aero etc. It all works superb.

Anyhoo - this works great for me and im not moving away from Win7. I also noticed with Aero "on" my system uses around 480-500MB memory wich is amazing to me. My XP with "classic" desktop (nothing fancy - all grey) took around 380MB.

Im testing the 64bit in a week or two as i go fetch my extra RAM.

Specs (OC'ed):

AMD X2 6000+ @ 3.5Ghz

NVIDIA 8800GTS 320MB

2GB Corsair XMS2 Extreme 800Mhz DDR2

Seagate 7200rpm

...need....upgrade...soon. :)

Alex

I'd like to add that in both XP and Vista I had to tweak it up to get rid of the mouse smoothing effect, but on Win 7 I have V-sync on, max frames on 3 (default) and haven't carried out any tweaks yet and it runs perfect without any mouse smoothing/lag problems.

(Windows 7 x64)

Cool Juggernaut. Good to hear. :)

BTW i have NVIDIA Control Panel setting Pre Render Frames set to "1". This makes whatever small mouse lag i have disapear completelly. This works different on different PC's as the hardware and maintanance etc is so different between them all.

Alex

Cool Juggernaut. Good to hear. :)

BTW i have NVIDIA Control Panel setting Pre Render Frames set to "1". This makes whatever small mouse lag i have disapear completelly. This works different on different PC's as the hardware and maintanance etc is so different between them all.

Alex

Yeah I have mine set to 8 with no mouse lag. It honestly doesn't seem to change anything for me either way, I get like 8 FPS in Chernogorsk anyway.

Dont look at the FPS on that one mate. Change to "1" and "feel" the game instead. I changed to "8" to test and it really makes it feel like the FPS went to 10 from 60 - while looking/moving around. It might not do anything for you ofcourse, but test and feel.

I tested inside a Mi-8 where another unit is sitting in my view. moving my head around usually inside vehicles like that lags me a bit. But its 10 times more repsonsive with it set to "1" for me. I get mouse lag when i have it at 8 and thus it makes it feel like i lose a lot of FPS.

Alex

Well, when running Arma-Mark 2

I get 5642.29 in XP (32)

and

4277.17 in windows 7 (64)

So there's a big difference.

All the same settings in arma2 (1920X1080) and Nvidia-control panel (latest drivers)

So im stickin with XP, when it comes to playing Arma 2.

Edited by subtee

Win7RC 32bit working great for me. And i was mighty sceptical towards 7 as Vista was a huge fail. I have played ARMA2 on XP PRO SP3 until some days back. I can report this:

I play now (Win7) with AA=HIGH, PP=HIGH and 2500 viewdistance. Compared to on XP where i had AA=OFF, PP=OFF and 1500 viewdistance AND lower FPS! So to me the move was very successful. I cant say what will happen with other gear, but for me it was like night and day. Fresh system with all correct drivers installed. I also use my high performance USB stick 4GB as "ReadyBoost" in Win7 where it is used as HD cache if i remember it correct. I can clearly see a difference with it ON and OFF. Less loading wich means less "load stutter" in its places. On ARMA2 start i also have it set to close down Aero etc. It all works superb.

Anyhoo - this works great for me and im not moving away from Win7. I also noticed with Aero "on" my system uses around 480-500MB memory wich is amazing to me. My XP with "classic" desktop (nothing fancy - all grey) took around 380MB.

Im testing the 64bit in a week or two as i go fetch my extra RAM.

Specs (OC'ed):

AMD X2 6000+ @ 3.5Ghz

NVIDIA 8800GTS 320MB

2GB Corsair XMS2 Extreme 800Mhz DDR2

Seagate 7200rpm

...need....upgrade...soon. :)

Alex

Im using XP and similar rig and I get that and up to 3000 view distance (125 percent fill rate) textures normal vid mem high, object & landscape detail high. So in certain rigs it seems XP is just as good.

Funny I have dual boot vista/xp and spent 80 percent of my time in xp ... since having vista that came with PC Ive hardly really used it. I will consider windows 7 to replace it though for sure.

Edited by mrcash2009

having read a troubleshooting thread, you can't force vsync off in windows 7, while you can do it in xp! this applies to ATI CCC but not sure about nVidia! some guys were successful in forcing it off using the att "ati tray tool" with the -winxp parameter.

whats with RC shutting down your comp every 2 hrs nexr year. I dont want to have to reinstall windows next year.

whats with RC shutting down your comp every 2 hrs nexr year. I dont want to have to reinstall windows next year.

then buy it or don't install it. Remember win 7 is a trial download. Clone your hard disk before you install win 7 then back up your clone drive afterward.

Uh... its because youre getting a free version for you to test.... you honestly expect MS to give away their latest OS for free?

Use the RC now, when the final is relesaed, buy that, install, live happily ever after.

Tried ArmA2 on 7 too and was surprised, especially because the driver for my HD4870 that came with the 7 install made it run extremely well.

Oddly after i updated to newer ATI drivers things got worse.

Overall it runs similar to XP, benefit for 7 may be in my case that 7 can use my full 4GB ram while XP only uses 3,25GB

After reading this thread, I think i'm gonna go for Win 7 on my new build. Every little bit i can squeeze outta Arma 2 the better!