Sign in to follow this  
kremator

Installed Win7 (XP before) .... first A2 impressions

Well ... I'm impressed. My system running XP32 (core i7 2.67GHz, OCd 3.90GHz, 6GbRAM, ATI 4870 (Cat9.7)) was pretty good with A2. However, around Chernogorsk I would get massive artifacts that meant I was continually FLUSHing the system.

On a whim I installed Win7 and gave A2 a go. After reinstalling A2 and patching to 1.02 I started off with a little MP - No problems. Then I decided to thrash the system by continually flying LOW over Chernogorsk (something that in XP would make me a lawn dart)!

After a good 4 minutes flying low over Chernogorsk then another 10 minutes TRYING to make it fall over I gave up - HAPPY !

For those experiencing problems, TRY out Win7 (even on another partition). I'm running the RC7100 version and this will be free to download until 20th August and free to use until 1st March 2010.

Happy hunting.

Anyone else have a similar story?

which win7 ? 32/64 bits?

my win 7 (build 7600/x64) was playable...but in xp 32 is silky smooth. i7 920, 6gb, gtx295

might try putting the cpu to 3.9 later, seems to be fine on 3.7, and se if it makes any diff in vista/win7 x64

also, does the RC win7 start shutting down after 2 hours, as of august sometime?

Yeah, I just installed Win7 x64 7100 and I have to say that the performance difference compared to my Vistax64 install is substantial. I am definitely getting a copy of Win7 once it is released in October, and putting Vista to rest. :)

Edited by PaiNxGS

64-bit of course!

The RC will start shutting down in every two hours in March. Completely in June.

If it continues like this I WILL be getting Win7 !

Have had Win7 64bit RTM running since last week. It's absolutely the best OS I've used and I fully expected to hate it. I was dead set on hating it in fact.

Would love to move to Win7 but can't until I upgrade mobo due to Nforce2 not supported.

which win7 ? 32/64 bits?

my win 7 (build 7600/x64) was playable...but in xp 32 is silky smooth. i7 920, 6gb, gtx295

might try putting the cpu to 3.9 later, seems to be fine on 3.7, and se if it makes any diff in vista/win7 x64

also, does the RC win7 start shutting down after 2 hours, as of august sometime?

Make sure you disable Hyper Threading. I believe it shuts down sometime in the summer next year.

Well ... I'm impressed. My system running XP32 (core i7 2.67GHz, OCd 3.90GHz, 6GbRAM, ATI 4870 (Cat9.7)) was pretty good with A2. However, around Chernogorsk I would get massive artifacts that meant I was continually FLUSHing the system.

On a whim I installed Win7 and gave A2 a go. After reinstalling A2 and patching to 1.02 I started off with a little MP - No problems. Then I decided to thrash the system by continually flying LOW over Chernogorsk (something that in XP would make me a lawn dart)!

After a good 4 minutes flying low over Chernogorsk then another 10 minutes TRYING to make it fall over I gave up - HAPPY !

For those experiencing problems, TRY out Win7 (even on another partition). I'm running the RC7100 version and this will be free to download until 20th August and free to use until 1st March 2010.

Happy hunting.

Anyone else have a similar story?

Think i give windows 7 a try as i have almost same system as you but with gtx 275 that i built for arma2 costing me over £1000 but was disapointed the way arma 2 ran on it.

Would love to move to Win7 but can't until I upgrade mobo due to Nforce2 not supported.

nForce chipsets have been supported since since 2008 on the Windows 7 platform. What motherboard are you using?

Edit: I apologize I did not see the 2 in the nForce2 in your post. These drivers will work for you. http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1271 I have them on my son's machine and they worked fine.

Edited by Tincup

lol im getting 20 fps on my rig and i have no idea why will this help me? what exactly does it do im not that experianced with computers plz help, i have a duel core 1.80 Ghz each,32 bit,2 gigs of ram and a kicken graphics card and im getting 20 fps ): plz help

i have a duel core 1.80 Ghz each,32 bit,2 gigs of ram and a kicken graphics card and im getting 20 fps ): plz help

Dual core 1.8ghz, 2gb ram <---- Given that, I think 20fps is pretty damned good.

I was running Vista Ultimate Edition x64, and had very disappointing performance. After hearing so many good things about Win7, I installed the v7100 that's currently available for free (but only until August, so get in quick!)

Wow, what a difference. ARMA2 now runs much better, and the OS itself is magnificent. I love its simplicity and elegance - best OS I've seen MS pump out yet.

I liked 7100 as well. Definitely want to bump up the memory tho. I can't find anything wrong except the lack of Win7 support by the games themselves or things like Xfire.

really is there a way i can get better fps????????? can i put win7 on my computer cuz i want atleast 30 fps

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

datter you know both of my prossesorers make up 3.80

I made the switch and am happy, seems a bit jerky tho as I copied my config/profile over from xp, not sure that was a good choice.

It is stable, no crashes. I just need to work out what is causing my black screen when the game is about to load up and what is causing the strange stuttery lag.

CAN SOME ONE ANSWER MY POST do i need win7? will it help my 20 fps? i have my specs above

whats your 3d rez set at?

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

then why does it say open for donations ):

having 4 1gb sticks of pc3200 instead of 4x512mb sticks would help me out :P

---------- Post added at 01:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

you haven't been very detailed though, so how can they answer the specific question?

well i have 2 gigs DO I NEED WIN7????????plz tell me i want better that 20 fps BTW im running it at 1680x1050

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Wooly you system specs work good on my computer 1280x1024 think you som much it works good and i have a 1.80 Ghz lol

Wait a minute, now I'm completely confused. At first you said:

i have a duel core 1.80 Ghz each,32 bit,2 gigs of ram and a kicken graphics card

When I pointed out this was a tad weak (even without knowing what a "kicken graphics card" is) you replied...

datter you know both of my prossesorers make up 3.80

Then again just above you say...

think you som much it works good and i have a 1.80 Ghz lol

Hence the confusion. A couple of points (spellerings aside):

A) 1.8ghz + 1.8ghz = 3.6ghz, not 3.8

and more importantly

B) Is it a dual core 3.6ghz... or a dual core 1.8ghz? If you have a Pentium-D Dual Core 1.8Ghz for instance, you don't multiply the 1.8 by the number of cores to magically get a 3.6ghz system.

If you have a dual core 3.6 you should be able to get more out of it, and maybe we can help... but if it's a dual core 1.8gHz then there's very little you can do aside from an upgrade.

I only ask for the sake of clarity and I'm just trying to help. Can you post your exact processor type, RAM (type and speed) and make/model of your graphics card? That would help us, help you.

OK its a 3.6 (im not a computer wizard) but i can play the game at 1280x1024 on high visability and shadows off now problems

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

i guess you not getting me let me copy and past my settings from my computer Genuine intel® CPU 2160 @ 1.80Ghz 1.80Ghz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Edited by wizbomb