Sign in to follow this  
AASE

Operation Northstar Release

This is awesome, absolutely awesome! Despite the errors and issues, which I'm sure will be fixed, these look great. As a fellow Canadian, I love to finally see an official ONS release. Hope you guys can keep up the good work! :D

Thanks a lot, Zipper and everyone else. :)

Abs

Yea, you can ignore that.

I know that there's a couple of bugs (and I don't have this revision yet, because AASE fixed it up and released it) but you acn still get it into the editor without a problem and play with it.

Abs

great that ONS is back in action.. looking forward for much more from you guys :)

but... why making desert uniforms, when its not a desert area.. please make the "woodland" uniform also :)

Dennis

Glad you're enjoying it, Dennis.

Originally, the scope of ONS had been to cover the current conflict in Afghanistan. These troops were made for ARMA and are converted for use in ARMAII.

But don't worry about desert terrain. The new expansion pack by BIS should take care of that. ;)

Abs

Great addons..:yay::yay: thks for the release ONS.

hmm i think the pmc has released a desert map...

but... why making desert uniforms, when its not a desert area.. please make the "woodland" uniform also :)

Dennis

they made the desert version cause the Canadians are so hard they WANT to stand out so they can give the enemy at least a bit of a chance :)

they made the desert version cause the Canadians are so hard they WANT to stand out so they can give the enemy at least a bit of a chance :)

Hahaha! You're a good man, StalkerGB. :D

Abs

Really happy to see this project being realized, being a Canuck myself, eh? (and one that lives not far from CFB Edmonton) ;)

I'm especially happy to see Canada's latest hardware, the Chinook, come to life but curious why this release earned a v1.0 badge. It still has the texture bugs from the RAF Chinook (no texture on chopper blades as seen from pilot's seat, misaligned textures on blades as seen from above, missing textures on pilot/copilot rudder pedals as seen from outside chopper, etc.). I also noticed that the decals on the port side are reversed (can't remember if the RAF version had this problem).

Are you in touch with Smiley Nick on this? Are these issues going to get a fix in a future release?

Really happy to see this project being realized, being a Canuck myself, eh? (and one that lives not far from CFB Edmonton) ;)

I'm especially happy to see Canada's latest hardware, the Chinook, come to life but curious why this release earned a v1.0 badge. It still has the texture bugs from the RAF Chinook (no texture on chopper blades as seen from pilot's seat, misaligned textures on blades as seen from above, missing textures on pilot/copilot rudder pedals as seen from outside chopper, etc.). I also noticed that the decals on the port side are reversed (can't remember if the RAF version had this problem).

Are you in touch with Smiley Nick on this? Are these issues going to get a fix in a future release?

Yea, those bugs are known. I had mentioned it in the WIP thread.

The number isn't particularly important in my eyes. (The version number is an oversight, BTW.) Even if it were called 1.0, or 0.1, it would still be what it is, which is flawed.

The alternative would be to have you guys wait...and wait...and wait...as our part time team of mod makers worked on it. As you can see, we did that with ARMA1, and by the time we were done some basic troops (there are still many custom models that aren't released), ARMAII was out. So we changed our philosophy now.

As long as it's mostly functional, it'll be released, and newer versions will be released as time goes on.

By the way, the next version of the Chinook will fix the mirrored texture issue, along with hopefully adding the proper weapons, along with a third turret on the ramp.

...but again, this will take a long time.

Until then enjoy this buggy, but available, Chinook. ;)

Abs

Glad you're enjoying it, Dennis.

Originally, the scope of ONS had been to cover the current conflict in Afghanistan. These troops were made for ARMA and are converted for use in ARMAII.

But don't worry about desert terrain. The new expansion pack by BIS should take care of that. ;)

Abs

hehe.. yes i know, but i will love to use them in these grass areas.. so i really hope you guys will make the "woodland" camo also :D

im looking forward for the next release from BI, but i also like this arma 2 conflict area, so we need you guys ;)

- STALKERGB.. lol.. yes they are some tough warriors..

Dennis

Canada doesn't use the Challenger, they use the leopard.

wasn't sure, from the WIP pictures it looked like a challenger 2 to me

and the text under clearly says Leopard. Do some people even read or just look at the pictures?

@Abs, with regards to the CADPAT TW, AASE asked me to have a go at creating it, just finished my first attempt, check your PMs, just wanted to get some feedback on how bright/dark it is. I also sent the PM to AASE to see what he thinks.

@Abs, with regards to the CADPAT TW, AASE asked me to have a go at creating it, just finished my first attempt, check your PMs, just wanted to get some feedback on how bright/dark it is. I also sent the PM to AASE to see what he thinks.

Did I ever mention that you're a good man, StalkerBG? :)

Check your PMs. I've sent you a PSD file with the best pattern I could come up with.

Abs

and the text under clearly says Leopard. Do some people even read or just look at the pictures?

you assume they can read? :D

QuietMan

will we see the coyote and the G wagen?

I'm canadian too and really like this mod :D

Coyote: Yes.

Gwagen: Not so sure. It's not used in Afghanistan anymore since the Nyala was sent over, so we'd rather get the equipment they have in theatre out there first.

Abs

as a member of the Canadian military I approve of this mod :D

while it is true we no longer use G wagons while out and about I did see some being used in Kandahar..although that was months ago and only for driving around base and for OPs around the city.

as a member of the Canadian military I approve of this mod :D

while it is true we no longer use G wagons while out and about I did see some being used in Kandahar..although that was months ago and only for driving around base and for OPs around the city.

Glad you're safe, Master Corporal. :)

Perhaps once we're done most of the addons we need to make, we can get a Gwagen in...unless of course another mod out there makes them first - in which case we'll try to get permission to modify and release it.

Abs

cool. I don't really care about the Gwagen by the way, all I wanted was a small jeep and the Nyala would be just fine for me.

sry, it's me again. I have a stupid question: how do I use the new guns and units?

I installed the mod in a mod folder and properly edited the shortcut (I installed a lot of mod, so no problem with this part). But I can't see the new units in the editor. why?

sry, it's me again. I have a stupid question: how do I use the new guns and units?

I installed the mod in a mod folder and properly edited the shortcut (I installed a lot of mod, so no problem with this part). But I can't see the new units in the editor. why?

Once you put all the files into the <root>\@ons\Addons directory, launch the game.

Ignore any errors on start-up.

Open the editor to your favourite island.

Double click anywhere on the map.

In the units menu that popped up, under the 'Faction' drop down menu, choose ONS.

Press Okay.

Preview the mission. (Ignore any errors that bring you back into the editor. Just hit preview again.)

You should now be playing as a Canadian soldier.

Enjoy. :)

Abs

Ok I got it to work. Your mod wasn't compatible with another mod I had already, that's why I couldn't see the ONS faction.

now for bug report:

The models seems pretty weird lol (same problem with any ons soldier):

onsbug.th.jpg

the thing around the head is actualy his legs. That thing move done when I crouch or prone. Pretty funny stuff actualy lol. I have this bug while playing with no other mod than the ONS one.