Sign in to follow this  
JackandBlood

Floating zone poll

Floating zone, what do veteran players prefer?  

334 members have voted

1. 1. Floating zone, what do veteran players prefer?

• I dont use floating zone
    • I use a small amount of floating zone (slider at10-20%)
    • I use a large amount of floating zone (slider 40%+)

This has probably been discussed, but i searched and found nothing. Who likes floating zone, who doesnt. If you like it, at what setting, etc.

i would say i use about 30-50% floating.

but then im used to it since the OFP days (dont remember if you could set the floating in OFP)

i also use a little bit of head bob, maybe 5% or so...

Floating zone maxed out.... I love it. Actually being able to raise my sights, but lower them to the bottom of the screen, and move it quickly for fast target acquisition. (CQC) Helps immersion too, being able to see your weapon as it would be, not as if the guy next to you is holding near your hip.

I thought people used more, I sure enjoy it. Its a bit of a change compared to most shooters though.

I've got it around 60%. Having it 100% seems to slow down your ability to turn around fast.

I used to use it in OFP, but since I use TrackIR in ArmA and ArmA2 I don't use it.

I used to use it in OFP, but since I use TrackIR in ArmA and ArmA2 I don't use it.

Same here

Same here. Used to use bucketloads of it. Now TrackIR.

Edited by Sunray

100% + trackIr. Like the ability to move away my weapons from my screen.

couldn't play without floating zone. takes a little while to get used to (i started it in ofp)

floating zone is one of the pros which made OFP so unique :O

Agreed, I have mine on 70% and I'm totally loving it. Actually, I find myself search for something like a floating zone setting in all the other games :D

This is some really great feedback, and i thank the BIS community for the posts and votes. I'm a bit of a newb to the BIS simulation genre (thats the only way I know how to describe it, its not the shooter, its not a flight simulator, its not an RTS, but it takes the best aspects of all above).

I thought people absolutely abhorded the floating zone controls. I did play OFP back in its day, and i thought the floating zone was a cool little tweak to the standard shooter formula. But SOOOO many people seemed to hate it, (im now thinking they hated the whole notion of an infantry sim in a day and age where shooters tended to follow sci-fi themes) and no other developers implemented the system, so i thought it was pretty universally considered a bad idea. But the current results of this poll says otherwise.

Very cool, i mean as a newb, the gunplay with its complex ballistics system for every single bullet really blows my mind, but then factor in floating zone controls (which i've set at 45%ish, and love), and the very act of firing your weapon seems to have a depth that renders other shooters frivolous, to be honest. Thanks for the feedback.

Please continue to vote. I think all newbs to the BIS genre can benefit from seeing what veteran players prefer.

i dont like the floating zone at all because if uhrts my aiming. im used to normal FPSs and that's how i like it.

but after reading what ppl said here i might try it for a bit. see if i change my mind.

I use a smaller one - always have when playing the opflash/arma games even though i never use it for any other games.

I am used to using my mouse to turn and the floating zone makes me feel less agile. I don't mind a little bit but I have it turned off now.

To be honest the floating zone is what turned some of my friends off the game. The felt that the character wasn't as responsive as in other games. I can understand that.

I have it maxed out for now, I'm still fiddling with it, though.

What's floaring zone?:butbut:

Floating zone maxed out.... I love it. Actually being able to raise my sights, but lower them to the bottom of the screen, and move it quickly for fast target acquisition. (CQC) Helps immersion too, being able to see your weapon as it would be, not as if the guy next to you is holding near your hip.

I thought people used more, I sure enjoy it. Its a bit of a change compared to most shooters though.

Same setting and same reasons.

does floating zone change the animation of the player ?

i.e. with a big zone, if you can move your sights down and still be looking straight ahead is this replicated in the animation ?

Love FZ! Hate that it ruined my enjoyment of any other shooter without it :mad:

Same here too!

After reading some of the post here, I will have to mess around with the setting to see how I like it. I usually have it turned off, but never really gave it a clear try.