Sign in to follow this  
p75

Picture in picture rendering for helicopters, planes and tanks - BIS please add!

So, would you like BIS to add this functionality?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. So, would you like BIS to add this functionality?

• Hell yes, I'd like a hud/gauge in cockpit view to increase the immersion factor.
    • No, I don't see the use for this.

Hi Lads,

I just found out that it is not possible to create a hud/gauge which shows the image of the helicopters camera? I'd like to see something similar in Arma 2 as they accomplished in EECH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoRxDLvclso

Between 3.40 - 4 minutes. There you see the hud/gauge with an image of the camera. And you are able to select multiple targets (like in real life).

It could also be applicable for other vehicles such as airplanes and tanks, which would make targeting alot more enjoyable when comtrolling a vehicle.

I'd like to keep out of the discussion that it would overpower the vehicles. As in real life (we are talking about a sim) the odds for infantary against a machine is slim.

I'd like to also keep out of the discussion when it should be added in light of the troubles most people currently have it running decently. This was added later as some people don't seem to understand the scope of the poll.

The question is simple, would you like to see it? Yes or No

What I'd like BIS to do is add the functionality to render picture in picture in one of its future patches.

So BIS, what about it?

Edited by p75

More ability for functional MFD's. Should already be able to do a bit of it, button objects with default actions for the 'action button' and such.

This was already capable of being dine in Arma I

Awesome stuff.

More ability for functional MFD's. Should already be able to do a bit of it, button objects with default actions for the 'action button' and such.

This was already capable of being dine in Arma I

Awesome stuff.

Hey mate, can you provide with a bit more information about what addon this? It would be nice to get it to the level of EECH as demonstrated in my openingsthread.

Edited by p75

Wheres the poll option for, there is many other things I would rather they work on?

Wheres the poll option for, there is many other things I would rather they work on?

Listen, there is not, because it is not the issue. Would you like to see it or not?

Listen, there is not, because it is not the issue. Would you like to see it or not?

Listen? I would say that it IS the issue.

So no. I would rather BIS work on other things.

Listen? I would say that it IS the issue.

So no. I would rather BIS work on other things.

It is not a discussion when they should implement it, but wheter you want it or not.

What about if, yes, we would LIKE it, but we would prefer BIS to work on many other things first? As Fiya said.

I would indeed like to see it, but its not game breaking. Its not urgent. Many other things are.

What about if, yes, we would LIKE it, but we would prefer BIS to work on many other things first? As Fiya said.

I would indeed like to see it, but its not game breaking. Its not urgent. Many other things are.

Yes it seems p75 doesn't understand these things...

Guys, he just stated that the idea was not to dictate WHEN it gets worked on, but that you would LIKE it to be worked on when they can. :) No call for urgency, just put the concept in the list of things to do sometime.

And sorry, I have no real info other than you'll probably know the maker if you have any history with this game series (Kegetys) :p. I stumbled upon the vid and mark it up to yet another creative endeavor by this wunderkind.

Cheers

Who vote No, and why? Thats the only thing I would like to know.

Btw, I didnt vote as I see no real useful info coming out of this poll.

A "Render-to-texture" channel has been asked for since Arma 1. I guess chances are low that we´ll see it from BIS.

I'll state it again, please answer the poll as it is, meaning: Do you like to see it in the game or no? This is not a discussion about when it should be implemented or wheter or not other things go first. That is out of the scope.

And I, as Scrub, would also like to know why people voted No.

p75 calm down with your addon requests a little :D

btw anyone remember this ArmA1 addon http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=68341?

:D:D:D, I really like to see this happen. As with FLIR, I can't understand why it is not coming straight out of the box. The engine should certainly be able to do it. As in the initial post (a 10 year old game can do it). And I'm sure most people will want this :)

That is quite a cool link, mate! The Apache Ah64A of the HWM mod has it also in place.

I imagine this would add the possibility of proper weapon scopes too? Would be nice to have only the optics part zoomed in.

Nice if they can do it, but I'd be worried about performance penalty.

A more pressing issue IMHO is making the MFDs lit. You can't see the artifical horizon unless the lighting is just right - often it's too dark to see properly, since it's just a texture. Needs to simulate self-illumination.

:D:D:D, I really like to see this happen. As with FLIR, I can't understand why it is not coming straight out of the box. The engine should certainly be able to do it. As in the initial post (a 10 year old game can do it). And I'm sure most people will want this :)

That is quite a cool link, mate! The Apache Ah64A of the HWM mod has it also in place.

The pseudo-FLIR which was brought in with a script means the engine IS capable of (or at least giving the appearance of FLIR) "straight out of the box". Scripting isnt adding new functions, its making use of functions in the engine.

Yea, just like Gunship 2000 on the Amiga :D

Yeah, golden oldie, super game :D

I vote, YES I'd love to see it.

(but I'd vote NO to the "BIS Please add" part if I could)

IMO, this is something we'll see in mods. BIS can't possibly be expected to create and maintain the core game AND be responsible for creating all the mods as well.

Would it be a nice addition to the core game? Sure (I'd personally rather see countermeasures added to the core game/default aircraft).

Is there much chance that BIS will add every suggestion made by the community? No (because they can be added thru mods).

I think a more realistic request would have been to post this in the mod discussion forum. If we see anything like cockpit FLIR or camera display added to A2, it will come thru mods as part of the aircraft/vehicles that should have such capabilities.

If I had a dollar for every time somebody suggested BIS implement something that is already in completed or in the works in the form of a mod, my dedicated server would be paid up for a year in advance.

Technically the "picture in picture" ability for gauges/huds is already in place (ie: the artificial horizon). A mod maker could fill a hole on a dash with anything they see fit. A moving map, a flir, terrain radar, etc. Whatever bells and whistles a particular aircraft might have. Going strictly by the title of the thread, BIS already added this to the game.

BIS gives us the core game and the tools to add to it whatever we see fit. And IMO, BIS needs to focus on core game issues.....

ymmv

Edited by Thirdup

I vote, YES I'd love to see it.

(but I'd vote NO to the "BIS Please add" part if I could)

IMO, this is something we'll see in mods. BIS can't possibly be expected to create and maintain the core game AND be responsible for creating all the mods as well.

Would it be a nice addition to the core game? Sure (I'd personally rather see countermeasures added to the core game/default aircraft).

Is there much chance that BIS will add every suggestion made by the community? No (because they can be added thru mods).

I think a more realistic request would have been to post this in the mod discussion forum. If we see anything like cockpit FLIR or camera display added to A2, it will come thru mods as part of the aircraft/vehicles that should have such capabilities.

If I had a dollar for every time somebody suggested BIS implement something that is already in completed or in the works in the form of a mod, my dedicated server would be paid up for a year in advance.

Technically the "picture in picture" ability for gauges/huds is already in place (ie: the artificial horizon). A mod maker could fill a hole on a dash with anything they see fit. A moving map, a flir, terrain radar, etc. Whatever bells and whistles a particular aircraft might have. Going strictly by the title of the thread, BIS already added this to the game.

BIS gives us the core game and the tools to add to it whatever we see fit. And IMO, BIS needs to focus on core game issues.....

ymmv

I agree, I highlighted my favorite parts...

Also, I voted no. Obvious reasons.

I agree, I highlighted my favorite parts...

Also, I voted no. Obvious reasons.

This is not what the discussion is about Fiya, as already stated earlier, can't you read? We know you voted No. Adding it over and over won't add anything. Your point was made clear the first time, but the poll's question is within a certain scope, as explained earlier.