Sign in to follow this  
wizbomb

DirectX10?

hi, i am a 3 week old arma2 player and i have been doing nothing but tweaking the game over and over agine for better performance its laggy but i exceed recomended reqirments. my problem its can you put directX10 on a XP!!!!! NOT VISTA XP!!!! and will it help my performance???????ty:)

I don't really have any clue what you're saying...

WinXP doesn't support DX10 in any way shape or form...that was actually one of the main selling points for Vista.

If you search there's an old thread about basically how the BIS team thinks there's absolutely no reason to switch to DX10 because the performance cost is more then the visual improvements.

I don't really have any clue what you're saying...

WinXP doesn't support DX10 in any way shape or form...that was actually one of the main selling points for Vista.

If you search there's an old thread about basically how the BIS team thinks there's absolutely no reason to switch to DX10 because the performance cost is more then the visual improvements.

I agree with this. Vista is about 20% slower in arma in my armamark2 scores than XP. So I duel booted.

i meant im running on xp not vista

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

well i kinda agree my dads computer is a vista and i installed arma2 and i lagged like s*** and i have a duel core and it runs 10 times better but its still laggy as s*** i have to run the game on 1600x1024 (or something like that) with the 3d resalution at 800x900(or something like that)

ArmA2 doesn't even use DX10, it uses the latest build of DX9, so it has nothing to do with your performance issues. My performance in Vista was quite bad so I tried it out on Windows 7 and the performance was much, MUCH, smoother. I dunno if any Vista users had any better luck, but quite a few of us couldn't break 30fps max or less at any setting or res (this includes nvidia/catalyst control panel adjustments as well) in Vista (Vista 32bit for me).

I too exceed the recommended specs and I have Vista 64 with DX10. I have to set my draw distance to about half way and most of the other settings to Normal or High. If I tried full draw distance with very high my system would fall apart. I agree with these other posters that XP would run smoother, although I havent actually tried it - but Im not sure this has anything to do with DX10. That being said ARMA II is still too much of a resource whore.

my problem its can you put directX10 on a XP)

No you cannot put directx10 on windows xp. Only vista and windows 7 support it at the moment. When the first directx10 games came out, (crysis) people freaked out that they were being "forced" to upgrade.

There is a nice project going on at the moment though that would aim to put directx10 on windows xp, as well as linux, and OS X. It seems to be quite a bit of work to do this however, and i wouldnt get your hopes up after reading it..

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2007/04/project-aims-to-bring-dx10-gaming-to-xp-linux-os-x.ars

This is not the only project trying to make directx10 available for xp however, i would look around for more.

But as far as i know, Arma II doesnt use directx10 anyway, so this would be a wasted effort if you do it just for this game.

Give the kid a break, it's amazing a 3 week old can even use a computer much less get ArmA2 running properly.

Sorry for being a "retard" on this matter.

But Vista has Dx10 as default, and installing Dx9 which Arma 2 requires won't do anything.

So how does this work.

Is Dx10 backward compatible with Dx9?

I seriously doubt it not to be, but if anyone could enlighten me?

And if a game forces a specific Dx version, what would happen?

I'm not having that much of a trouble with Arma 2 if I don't enter the larger settlements, the leaking building models and the rendering of those, plus random LOD issues with textures will not change with drivers and such, only a patch which optimizes the 3D engine will.

if(Arma2v103 == Stable) then{
   //Continue playing
}else{
   _argh = [player] spawn ReturnGameToBIS;
};

datter i love your comment lol (;

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

DATTTER YOUR FPS LIMITER GAVE ME A VIRUS but i think its gone just warning you

Sorry for being a "retard" on this matter.

But Vista has Dx10 as default, and installing Dx9 which Arma 2 requires won't do anything.

So how does this work.

Is Dx10 backward compatible with Dx9?

I seriously doubt it not to be, but if anyone could enlighten me?

And if a game forces a specific Dx version, what would happen?

I'm not having that much of a trouble with Arma 2 if I don't enter the larger settlements, the leaking building models and the rendering of those, plus random LOD issues with textures will not change with drivers and such, only a patch which optimizes the 3D engine will.

if(Arma2v103 == Stable) then{
   //Continue playing
}else{
   _argh = [player] spawn ReturnGameToBIS;
};

DX10 is backwards compatibible with DX9 (would be hell if not :)) if you use dx9 game on dx10 the directx emulates a dx9 version.

datter i love your comment lol (;

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

DATTTER YOUR FPS LIMITER GAVE ME A VIRUS but i think its gone just warning you

That's strange. Scans clean here with Avast and AVG on three different machines.

Datter does you fps limiter work im getting 20 fps on my rig and it goes over recommended specs

It works, but I'm afraid it is a limiter in that it limits frame rate. If you're getting 20fps it's not going to be of much use to you,but if you're getting 30+ and you lock it at 30, it will provide a smoother game experience.

I wish I had an FPS Booster for you.