Sign in to follow this  
-RIP- Luhgnut

Tell me this didn't just happen.

I'll setup the scene.

It's nighttime. I'm in a T-90 on a warfare map where I'm the only real person on atm.

I've isolated where the enemy base is. There is one road out. I'm nestled in some trees. I told the driver to get out of the tank (cause I want the engine off, so I can't be heard.) I'm sitting in ambush.

I sit and wait. I go to the bathroom in real life. Have a smoke. Then, suddenly two M1A1's pop up on the map. I'm watching through commanders scope. One heads up the mountain behind me. (I have trees between him and I, and I'm down a ditch. Nothing can shoot me from behind. We'lll call him tank 1.

Tank 2 sort of takes his time coming out of town. Can't get a clear shot on him. I'm nearly 2 grids away. Suddenly tank 2 just hauls a$$ out of town. I"m watching on the map. I tell the gunner to attack him, but I can't get a target lock. The second I get a lock, he dashes out from behind some buildings. He's almost a speck to me as my turret turns, I see the flash of his cannon and he instantly fires one round into me on the move. From the flash to dead, was a good 2 second count. That's how far away I was. At first I didn't think he fired...cause from the flash to boom.... 2 full seconds.

I'm so mad, there is NO WAY that anybody could make that shot. Did he hear the sound of the turret turning? I don't get it, I just don't get it. About ready to just give this up.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Luhgnut;1389039']I'll setup the scene.

It's nighttime. I'm in a T-90 on a warfare map where I'm the only real person on atm.

I've isolated where the enemy base is. There is one road out. I'm nestled in some trees. I told the driver to get out of the tank (cause I want the engine off' date=' so I can't be heard.) I'm sitting in ambush.

I sit and wait. I go to the bathroom in real life. Have a smoke. Then, suddenly two M1A1's pop up on the map. I'm watching through commanders scope. One heads up the mountain behind me. (I have trees between him and I, and I'm down a ditch. Nothing can shoot my from behind. We'lll call him tank 1.

Tank 2 sort of takes his time coming out of town. Can't get a clear shot on him. I'm nearly 2 grids away. Suddenly tank 2 just hauls a$$ out of town. I"m watching on the map. I tell the gunner to attack him, but I can't get a target lock. The second I get a lock, the turret turns, I see the flash of his cannon and he instantly fires one round into me on the move. Dead.

I'm so mad, there is NO WAY that anybody could make that shot. Did he hear the sound of the turret turning? I don't get it, I just don't get it. About ready to just give this up.[/quote']

Maybe he saw you? I highly doubt the commander was sitting there drawing on the top of the hatch. Any good tank commander would be scanning for targets.

Maybe he saw you? I highly doubt the commander was sitting there drawing on the top of the hatch. Any good tank commander would be scanning for targets.

Also, I was sort of down in a deep open bowl/valley. He was on the other side of the hill in town. I could hear his engines since mine were off. What prompted him to just kick it in gear and fly out of there? I also had two scouts in stealth mode crawling up and looking in the town (man the crawl slow). So I knew right where he was, but he would have had to clear the town, scanned, locked, and fired. While I had the drop on him and couldn't do a thing.

I was playing the Guerrilla warfare scenario and combat the relentless BTR-90 assaults I set up an SPG-9 launcher to take them out on the way to Mtsa. Almost every single time I would take out on the BTR-90s, the very instant any crewmembers bail, they single-shot kill my ass from more than 300m away. It's also at night. On Regular skill setting.

Yeah, it's annoying, but I guess I've gotten used to this nonsense since I've been playing OFP/ARMA/ARMA 2 for years. Still, I wish it were tweaked adequately. Ah well.

its just a game, campers piss me off more then anything

Campers? As in people defending some place?

My favorite is getting sniped through the A-10 or SU-25 canopy by a mounted machine gun while I fly 500 miles per hour. Haven't seen such cheating AI since Rainbow Six.

The M1 tank is a very accurate firing platform, with all of the fire control computers and whatnot. Granted, it shouldn't have shot so fast, let alone noticed you, lest the Ai have IR scopes... :j:

campers piss me off more then anything

i don't think you've quite grasped the point behind games such as arma

Congrats, you just made it onto my 'ignore list' :D

I'm so mad, there is NO WAY that anybody could make that shot.

I agree that the superhuman reflexes of the AI are particularly annoying when it comes to vehicle combat. I have grown frustrated by being on the wrong end of instant long-range kill-shots against fast moving tanks, it is an immersion breaker all right.

My only suggestion (and I havent tried this yet) would be to alter the AI precision settings in your cfg text file (cant remember exactly how but try searching as there have been many posts on this) - by lowering these numbers you may find the AI hesitates more, to simulate the frailties of a human tank crew... however playing against the AI is never going to be perfect (though in this game it is far better than in most others).

Edited by Mandrake5

Maybe the reduction in the AI's hearing in the next patch will reduce these sort of instances.

cjph

Hey OP. You just described what makes ARMA awesome!

It doesn't matter that you died. You can try again. That's the way it was...

that's the way it will be.

You are taking the piss right?

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Congrats, you just made it onto my 'ignore list' :D

I agree that the superhuman reflexes of the AI is particularly annoying when it comes to vehicle combat. I have grown frustrated by being on the wrong end of instant long-range kill-shots against fast moving tanks, it is an immersion breaker all right.

My only suggestion (and I havent tried this yet) would be to alter the AI precision settings in your cfg text file (cant remember exactly how but try searching as there have been many posts on this) - by lowering these numbers you may find the AI hesitates more, to simulate the frailties of a human tank crew... however playing against the AI is never going to be perfect (though in this game it is far better than in most others).

There's an ignore function? Teach me!!!!!!!!

Left over from the old Quake days I suppose , or one of those run n gun lets play a DM game 'cause tactics is so boring. :rolleyes:

Anyway yes .. hopefully the 1.03 patches to AI behavior will improve some of these types of tactical maneuvers and the AI wont have such an advantage.

Should be out in a few days according to Placebo.

Alan.rio;1389253']You are taking the piss right?

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

There's an ignore function? Teach me!!!!!!!!

Heh heh Alan it's just a mental 'ignore list' I'm afraid ;)

Luhgnut;1389039']I go to the bathroom in real life.

That cracked me up for some reason.

Luhgnut;1389039']I'm so mad' date=' there is NO WAY that anybody could make that shot. Did he hear the sound of the turret turning? I don't get it, I just don't get it. About ready to just give this up.[/quote']

Moving the turret turns on the engine, which made the tank pop up on the radar. ;)

Original OP here.

It was late, and I wanted to try a tactic since I knew they were coming out of their base. Yes! I was camping! I was camping so long, I made a fire, pitched a tent, went to roast marshmallows, (but the raccoons ate em). But I had my T-90 with it's frontal armor aimed right at the only exit out of that town. - Maybe if someone that actually manned a real Abrams would just say on here, "yeah we can do that." I wouldn't be so baffled. And if they really COULD do that, no country in the world would even think of attacking someone with an Abrams in their arsenal.

I think also I spent so much time setting up my ambush and prodding my spotters through the trees on their bellies. Only to have him flying out of town at top speed, target, have it's turret turn and fire, in an instant. It just doesn't make for a fun game.

Yeah, I'll fiddle with the AI precision a bit because the enemy is just like trying to fight an Empire full of Clones.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut
typo

abrams have an effective range of over 4km. But them spotting you at all at that range while you were silently camping is a little fishy.

lol, yes to all that have flamed me, I do realize what game this is. I was only venting what was on my mind at the time. I was playing CTF(CAPTURE THE FLAG) not CAMP THE FLAG, some people just dont know the difference!

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

i don't think you've quite grasped the point behind games such as arma

lol ive been playing OFP and arma series just as long as you if not longer :)

What i find more annoying, is how inferior ally AI seems to be compared to enemy :mad: No way could an ally AI pull that off. Half the time you need the turret touching the enemy tank for them to fire.

lol, yes to all that have flamed me, I do realize what game this is. I was only venting what was on my mind at the time. I was playing CTF(CAPTURE THE FLAG) not CAMP THE FLAG, some people just dont know the difference!

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

lol ive been playing OFP and arma series just as long as you if not longer :)

Well then i guess a real military excels at camping then eh. To me camping is a vital tactic and shouldnt be called camping in arma, in a game like COD yes but in a game where you need to out maneuver your enemy then wait for them to get to where you suspect them to be you need to camp. And when you defend a town you dont run allover the place you each find a spot and sit there till you spot something.

But then again Camping is all opinion.

Back on topic.

If i remember correctly and abrams targeting computer can target and engage a target in under 5 seconds depending on range. I think under 500m its 3 seconds. how ever a google sarch for "how fast can an abrams engage a target" resulted in nothing. :(

They could have possibly targeted you before they started gunning it. Who knows, maybe they had other AI around that spotted you before. A

lso, I think your still designated as a target even while the engine is off. Your just marked in 'white' instead of red. Also enemy vehicles, even while 'white' (Or empty) sometimes cause the enemy to fire on them... Not sure why, but I've had AI blow up an empty humvee I was about to commandeer...