Sign in to follow this  
jimgun

Why does CTF feel different...?

Wow, that brings back some memories ;-) Watching that video really does make the contrast quite shocking though. Personally I can live with the slightly slower pace but I do get frustrated that the 'T' sight disappears when running so I have no idea where my aim is going to end up. Also that it fades away into nothingness when tired.

Have raised a ticket against kju's project :-)

The reason smoke was off in ofp was people could turn it off under the option cloudets. Not sure if you can do it in arma 2 but smoke is still laggy like ofp.

Yes, I'd forgotten about being able to turn it off. I don't agree about the lagginess. Just tried a quick test here with fraps and found only a couple of fps difference after throwing a smoke grenade. The only way I could find to make a big difference was to go right up to the smoke and stand inside the cloud in which case I lost 10-15 fps but when all you can see is smoke, it hardly matters what your fps is does it ? :-)

*Edit* Anth - I'm not sure I agree that crouching in OFP was that much more accurate. I never used to bother by the end - always shot from standing with equal accuracy.

Edited by sbsmac

That video shows exactly why it feels different. Higher running speed than the already-too-high run speed of Arma 2, and able to shoot quite accurately while running at that insane speed too! You can clearly see people moving in order to be harder to hit like they do in COD4/BF2/CS, which is totally unrealistic. Plus even in that video I hadn't seen any flag captures (though I did skip parts of it).

In a realistic game it's much harder to fine-tune a CTF map than it is to fine-tune it in, say, Unreal Tournament. The spawn points and flag positions need much much more careful consideration in order for CTF to have any chance of working. Hadn't played much CTF in Arma 2, but the one I did play had it take about 3 seconds to get from the spawn point to your team's flag or a place that overwatches the flag approach, making it pretty impossible to capture and turning it into a TDM.

Like i many other gametypes, spawn points need to be quite a bit further away from the action zone, but not so far that your "move forward" finger starts hurting like in some other gametypes (and some gametypes have both)...

OFP had corner camping. Much worse/unfair than lean.

My goal is not to recreate CQB of the style shown in the video.

Definitely some tweaks will help gameplay.

Like better crosshair, given help to (pre) aim during run or sprint.

Less / no getting tired (cause excessive weapon sway).

Faster animation transition. Suppressive fire during run would be good too.

corner camping is diffrent in many ways to lean camping. I agree corner camping was a big issue in ofp but a player can be counter camped. In arma 1/2 the lean option gives the player far more options ie. it gives them 3rd option view in a way

just my 2 cent.

another vid i found of this. is here going the cod 4 style ahem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3oB_283cq8

Edited by ganjaish

I don't understand the big fuss about lean camping. The lean in Arma is actually implemented pretty horribly - the soldier tilts his weapon (which is something you shouldn't ever be doing if you want to hit anything, similar issue can be seen in GRAW 1/2). On top of the inaccuracy this causes (which is probably not even modeled), you end up firing into the wall most of the time anyway, and to avoid firing into the wall you have to move so far out of cover that you might as well not lean at all. At least I don't see much point in leaning with the current implementation other than peeking around corners without shooting which is not very useful either.

Your right its not the actual corner camping that is the problem for me its how slow my animations are breathing, aiming are to counter act the corner campers.

How I would love to see arma like that ofp video, im praying ofp2 will be like this and will leave this game behind.

*BTW mac the only people I seen on ofp that were any good at standing and shooting was some of the RS guys everyone else used to crouch and corner camp.

Nice vid ganjaish.

It shows pretty well that a2 inf combat has potential.

Just some issues need to be tweaked or fixed.

With wrong behavior and movement, you will die.

One key aspect people easily forget. Visuals are far more complex now.

Lot harder to see enemies - both in motion and not moving.

One key aspect people easily forget. Visuals are far more complex now.

Lot harder to see enemies - both in motion and not moving.

Ha - and I thought it was just old age and deteriorating eyesight ;-) Agreed though, all the visual 'clutter' means that standing still is actually a pretty good disguise. The colour palette on the uniforms seems to make the camouflage a lot more effective than it used to be.

Hey guys seeing alot of old familar names here, i've just been browsing the forum a little, i haven't got the game yet haven't played many FPS's since OFP came to a end. Was thinking about purchasing Arma 2 but from the sounds of it the multiplayer isn't as good as what ofp was. Whats going on with the community regarding leagues and is there many PvP clans up and running? sorry to change the subject a little!

than the already-too-high run speed of Arma 2,

you must be joking.

Someone has already measured sprinting to be ~25km/h (which is fast even for bicycle), jogging ~19 km/h and walking 6 km/h. The only reasonable speed here with full gear is 6km/h (actually when not walking for miles I'd expect to walk faster than 6km/h, but for walking long treks 6km/h is considered standard with full gear).

Running 2000m at 8.5 minutes (which is what I did with normal sports clothing (no gear) at the end of training, and yes, I know I'm not a great runner) gives ~14km/h. To ace a high school fitness exam here you need to run it at ~6min (which usually only extremely fit guys pull off), which is 20 km/h (pretty damn fast!), again with no gear. So is the Arma 2 soldier extremely fast? No, but he's definitely jogging faster than he should be.

Hey guys seeing alot of old familar names here, i've just been browsing the forum a little, i haven't got the game yet haven't played many FPS's since OFP came to a end. Was thinking about purchasing Arma 2 but from the sounds of it the multiplayer isn't as good as what ofp was. Whats going on with the community regarding leagues and is there many PvP clans up and running? sorry to change the subject a little!

hello morley long time, on leagues still in the early stage but im shure they will come. and on pvp clans the same old ones still around dst sbs dk i even saw usi are comming back in to it. on gameplay its slowed down alot but arma 2 is defo more enjoyable that arma 1. hope too cu playing again soon

Someone has already measured sprinting to be ~25km/h (which is fast even for bicycle), jogging ~19 km/h and walking 6 km/h. The only reasonable speed here with full gear is 6km/h (actually when not walking for miles I'd expect to walk faster than 6km/h, but for walking long treks 6km/h is considered standard with full gear).

Running 2000m at 8.5 minutes (which is what I did with normal sports clothing (no gear) at the end of training, and yes, I know I'm not a great runner) gives ~14km/h. To ace a high school fitness exam here you need to run it at ~6min (which usually only extremely fit guys pull off), which is 20 km/h (pretty damn fast!), again with no gear. So is the Arma 2 soldier extremely fast? No, but he's definitely jogging faster than he should be.

I dont care a bit this a game, not real life.

The problem with arma was that the anim at aiming was so slow and clunky the game failed at all levels.

This games need and increase ins peed, i dont care only if its for sprinting, but running needs to be toned up.

Then why are you playing a game that stresses realism more than any other game in the market? If you want gameplay at the cost of realism, there are many games that supply that. Not that I care if you want to play a modified Arma 2 version that makes it unrealistic, I just don't understand why you would want to do that when there are other games that do that much better.

Then why are you playing a game that stresses realism more than any other game in the market? If you want gameplay at the cost of realism, there are many games that supply that. Not that I care if you want to play a modified Arma 2 version that makes it unrealistic, I just don't understand why you would want to do that when there are other games that do that much better.

Like what game? tell me please which game is like flashpoint?

Do you also want your soldier to get tired and sleep in real time and if you dont then he just stops moving until he is rested in real time. That would be really fun wouldent it? I mean just because its real does not mean it has to be changed to be exactly the same what im stressing is realism is not always that fun!

Anth;1395098']Like what game? tell me please which game is like flashpoint?

Operation Flashpoint.

Anth;1395098']

Do you also want your soldier to get tired and sleep in real time and if you dont then he just stops moving until he is rested in real time. That would be really fun wouldent it? I mean just because its real does not mean it has to be changed to be exactly the same what im stressing is realism is not always that fun!

There are good and bad ways to make a realistic game. A lot of parts of a soldiers life and pre/after action are obviously boring and don't need to be simulated' date=' but removing [b']critical aspects of actual combat[/b] in a game that tries to be realistic is extremely counter-productive. Asking for running at a realistic speed is not anything like asking for your soldier to require 8 hours of sleep a day.

Operation Flashpoint.

There are good and bad ways to make a realistic game. A lot of parts of a soldiers life and pre/after action are obviously boring and don't need to be simulated, but removing critical aspects of actual combat in a game that tries to be realistic is extremely counter-productive. Asking for running at a realistic speed is not anything like asking for your soldier to require 8 hours of sleep a day.

not shure what this has to do with ctf feeels diif????

You know, CoD4 moves pretty fast, pretty sure MW2 will as well.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

not shure what this has to do with ctf feeels diif????

Making the game more realistic made it less fun for unrealistic gametypes, I'm not 'sure' how you can miss that...?

You know, CoD4 moves pretty fast, pretty sure MW2 will as well.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Making the game more realistic made it less fun for unrealistic gametypes, I'm not 'sure' how you can miss that...?

u stonned?

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

http://www.sbs-clan.co.uk/news.php

Man, you don;t) kn0W W4at Ya Talking About!

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

seriously, is there any stoner server? Please count me in for their death squad cuz i ma ping that server man!

Hey guys, got another idea, now remember its just that, an idea. something to possibly consider.

What if the ammo crates only contained iron sight weapons?