Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

A way to remove profanity II

I was rather appalled by the replies that Kawilder got when asking if it's possible to remove profanity in ArmA2 (Original thread.). As the thread was closed because a suggestion could not be inferred, I'll post a direct suggestion:

Can a future version of ArmA have the ability to turn off all unnecessary voice samples? They don't add anything to the game IMO and it's only an extension of being able to tweak the graphics, blood etc to taste.

It doesn't make me feel big or tough to play a game with profanity, in fact it rather annoys me. However, as a lot of other people seem to think that it's rather a good idea, maybe there could be some amount of choice in the matter. I know the game has blood, death & injury, but you know, it's my choice about how I play & what I experience. I'd like the opportunity to lose the swearing please. I enjoy the tactical nature of the game I've done the armed forces thing, it was fun, but I'd like the game at least able to shut it off thanks :)

Please, lets keep the discussion, if not the language, at adult levels please :)

Edited by DMarkwick

I agree there should be an option to turn it off,a lot of us here were in the forces and swearing was very common amongst soldiers,but surely an option to turn off in a game would be good.

I don't mind if they make it selectable so that guys that like it can leave it on, but if they just remove it totally i would be angry.

IMO cursing & gore has always been part of the war throughout the history. If you can shoot and kill people in game so you must be ready to listen curse words and see blood & guts. No ?

This game tries to achieve ultimate military simulator title so i think BIS have done a good job increasing the immersion with those little details.

Edited by Potatomasher

Can a future version of ArmA have the ability to turn off all unnecessary voice samples? They don't add anything to the game IMO and it's only an extension of being able to tweak the graphics, blood etc to taste.

Personally i would like to see an option where words like 'fuck(ing)' and 'goddamn(ed)' are randomly mixed into sentences.

Im not even joking, i love it and in stressful situations i tend to change every word into 'fuck' or something similar. Honestly, i would see myself saying 'Fuck: fuck that fucking fucker!' instead of '4: engage that man'.

Edited by NeMeSiS

Personally i would like to see an option where words like 'fuck(ing)' and 'goddamn(ed)' are randomly mixed into sentences.

Im not even joking, i love it and in stressful situations i tend to change every word into 'fuck' or something similar. Honestly, i would see myself saying 'Fuck: fuck that fucking fucker!' instead of '4: engage that man'.

Agree.

I often say 'fuck' out loud when in trouble, in-game that be ;)

Please no kind of random speech - imagine you have to be stealthy and suddenly someone of your team starts shouting and cursing. I'm for an "shut up and keep silent" order. There are times when you simply like to stop this AI chatterbox.

Turn off radio?

Doesn't that also remove the useful part of ingame voices though? I'm suggesting the optional removal of unnecessary and superfluous voice samples.

(Anyone like that I used superfluous right after unnecessary, a nice example of irony? ;))

Edited by DMarkwick

I am reminded of a quote from a certain Walter E Kurtz:

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!"

I am reminded of a quote from a certain Walter E Kurtz:

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!"

That's why they fly in disciplined formations. They should be obscene and not herd.

*groan*

I know :)

i'd also like to see this, i was going to ask or post this suggesting i knew the "forum" crowd would jump all over it crying censorship.

Do we have access to the sound files? i was thinking of just going through and replacing all the offending sound files some 1s silent files.

I just don't get how someone can be more offended by a little virtual f-word than a bullet through a little virtual head

Is it surprising that a discussion on obscene language inevitably attracts such juvenile responses? I mean, what the heck!

Yes yes yes we all understand the absurdity of tolerating violence but not language. But in terms of videogames, there is almost nothing on Arma that would warrant a rating higher than T besides the profanity. The blood is more innocuous than Age of Empires.

Given what kids usually play on their X-Boxes, Arma minus profanity is very much like Hasbro's Candy Land as far as the ESRB is concerned.

Meh, i'm not much for cussin but It doesn't bother either as it's pretty infrequent and honestly, it's the bullets that seem to bother 'outside observers' far more and keeps my finger close to the volume control. Although I'll sign a petition if we could get Samuel L Jackson to do ALL of the cussin, "There's too many muthaf**kin (insert enemy faction here) on this muthaflippen plane!!!"

I just don't get how someone can be more offended by a little virtual f-word than a bullet through a little virtual head

No-one has said they're offended. Speaking personally, I simply wish it wasn't there. It doesn't serve any useful purpose, and as such should have the option of being disabled. Or perhaps have an install option to install alternative samples maybe. For me, the alternative samples solution would be almost as bad, because it would still be a superfluous audio annoyance. Immersion is one thing but when you're creeping about stealthily it doesn't sound immersive to me :)

As I said, I play ArmA2 for it's tactical properties, and I would wish for unnecessary embelishments to be optional.

Now, it's true that I campaigned for blood effects in ArmA, but that was a tactical addon, as it allowed you to inspect the blood upon coming across a body and work out the direction of attack. That has a use, but I don't really see how some soldier saying "fuck" a lot has a use. As such, and seeing as it takes up processing power and audio channels, why not lose it if you wish?

Profanity adds to the atmosphere imo.

Maybe a modder could do something about it, but there's no point in wasting the dev's time on this. :)

murder is ok but profanity isnt?

Murder? Maybe the way you play it, but not me :)

murder is ok but profanity isnt?

Except... The killing isn't real whereas the swearing is...

Where is an agree button when you need one?

This would be awesome and realistic. If you are getting shot at and or watching your friend's guts fall out in front of you, you are not going to use perfect English like me right now. "Why don't we have a good cup of tea whilst we disembowel our enemies that are trying to do the same to us", or "Fuckin hell! That bastard just killed 2, fuckin' shoot that fuck." which sounds better?. You're sure as shit not going to be speaking the Queen's English.You would be screaming like this guy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQCaGlqLFY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQCaGlqLFY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Though, this would only be cool in the heat of battle and would be quite pointless while standing around on base or stalking in the woods. There should be a "meter" that determines how much this is done based on what's happening. (More action - more swearing.)

I find this thread hilarious. People have a right to be offended by whatever they like to be absolutely honest and if you want to turn the swearing off you have the option of turning the sound down and/or learning to mod the game (using its own built in features) to remove the swearing all together. Stop complaining about the lack of the no swearing feature and make one yourself, BI have provided the tools.

This or you could just realise that in a "realistic" simulator your squad mates will probably swear when someone gets shot... I don't think I've ever met anyone who would be likely to say "oh heck, that nasty man shot Bob" instead of the version in game at the moment.

Once again, you have the right to set the game up any way you like so why don't you actually do it instead of creating threads asking someone else to?

Once again, you have the right to set the game up any way you like so why don't you actually do it instead of creating threads asking someone else to?

Um. Do you also find it hilarious for someone to ridicule a "suggestion" thread in a forum entirely dedicated to "suggestions"?

Again, because I apparently have to repeat the same thing over & over, it's not for offense. It's for preference.

I can understand people not wanting the profanity in game, but I'd hate to see dev time wasted on this...

At least not for 5 or 6 patches. Or until the game and its features work for everyone.