Sign in to follow this  
haberman13

I finally had an amazing time with ARMA 2

Be sure to check out SimHQ coop mission pack, fun missions for a smaller group...

How did anyone think that those missions would be fun?

Someone thought it would be fun to have massive scale combat using the entire map and arsenal, combined with persistent servers, so before you blame the missions you should blame the players for playing Arma like BF2..

Its not the mission makers fault that the players dont understand coop and use DM "tactics".

since when has waiting been good?

Since the early days of coop, in Operation Flashpoint.

When there was no JIP and respawn was considered a death match thing people either played properly or left.

advance and secure. if you have ever played Joint Operations, its the exact same game type from that game. Basically you start off at your X-ray (Uncapable) Respawn base. There are usually 6 flags, Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo & Foxtrot, each team starts off with 3 flags, now the point is to take the other teams bases, and who ever has the most bases at the end of the game is the winner. Now you can only take the current flag thats closest to your enemies, I.E. Your flag is Charlie, and the Enemies flag is Delta. add all the vechiles in arma 2 as well as most if not all the weapons, (depending on which version of the AAS map your playing), and you have yourself one hell of a game. Something which Co-op couldnt even begin to live up to :D If you are from the USA and you play at night i would advise in checking BMF server out, we usually have a hell of a time on there :D

Edited by Shinobi575

I don't like Evo so much, but I for one actually enjoy a good session in a Dom server. I know there's people who hate it with a passion, but when I find a server with a good teamspeak going, and the players are actually coordinating an attack on the AO, it's a great time. Same with all the side missions. Even better when it's a heavily modified Dom mission. However again, it's up to those playing it that can either make it a great 6 or more hours of heavy fighting, or take the fun out of it entirely with complete disarray and retardation.

Thats why I say you need to join a good clan. If you are doing coops with your clan and are still dieing then your CO's are doing something wrong or you just aren't very good at this game. I think the reason people die so much in coop is because they are trying to play this game like you would play BF2 or Call of Duty. You can't just run in like Rambo and expect to take out half a platoon by yourself. You have to rely on your team mates to do their job. If you are infantry then you have to wait for armor and air support to clear out enemy army and gun emplacements before moving in to take out enemy infantry. Even then you have to move as a team and use cover and flanking manuevers effectively.

As long as I'm playing with my clan and we are working together as a unit and everyone is doing their job we as a unit suffer few casualties. If I die more than once during the taking of one city then either I or my CO's aren't doing their jobs.

Tell that to the AI.

This happened to me today:

1. Shot an AI guy while prone in the woods, took 8 shots to kill. Was using G36 at a range of about 300-500m, probibly shorter.

2. The AI near this unit was basically totally oblivious. Occasionally a few of them "auto locked" in to my location (aka prone+aimed directly at me) but they never fired. All were pretty much just standing/laying around, and moving about 10m at random then stopping. Basically being dumb.

3. I get shot, by a guy 300-500m away, behind the treeline on the other side of town (I was up on a hill and these tree's were concealing the entire town, the only visible spots were at the tree bases and the town edge that I attacked). All shots without fail land within a meter of me. AI continues to stand still and act dumb reguardless. I get hit a few times from this psychic AI in the town that was 100% obscured by the treeline, while the AI that WOULD theoretically be able to see me continue to just kind of stare in the middle of an open field.

Your argument becomes valid when I find the AI is capable of a little more than psychic ghost shooting and standing around.

If I were to of gotten flanked by a couple of AI from the town in search of me, before opening fire, I would have been impressed. If the AI that COULD have the ability to realistically see me, managed to shoot back at me in surpressive fire at where the gunshots were coming from, I would have been impressed.

In this case (and all others I've experienced) neither happened. And it always seems to play out like this. Give me AI that isn't just a bunch of psychic rocks that bleed then I'll agree with you.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Indeed. It's a shame that 80% of the servers are running those.

I too like coop games, but not like that. Where the hell are regular old fashion coop missions (OFP) without consolish goddamned respawns. If your dead, you are DEAD. No biggie, just start again. I have always considered respawns as a cheat in every game. If i complete some mission using respawn in my mind i know i really haven't completed it properly. It haunts me afterwards.

I loved big missions where you walk long distances in woods with your squad occasionally encountering enemy patrols and finally after 1 hour you get to the target area and half of your squad was left dead behind. But when you completed the mission with only couple of guys left to celebrate it felt so good. I remember i died many times right in the first fireifight in big coop mission, but i didn't get bored of the waiting. I find it interesting to observe friends playing style and maybe learned something.

I was stunned when i first saw that stupid flag pole in some evo mission that you can use to teleport yourself to target area. Jesus...

In fact i have had more fun playing regular DM than Evo or domination. :butbut:

To be honest nowadays i just stick with good SP missions. No flagpoles, respawns and other shit that doesn't belong to realistic military simulator.

That's totally possible, if you play with a group of friends. Personally I'd want nothing like that at all if I'm joining a multiplayer game.

That stuff is cool, to have a group of 10-20 guys on a locked server going to complete an objective a little bit more complex than "kill everyone". I'd love that too, but when I join a big mulitplayer game with 30+ people, on a map that's 225km^2.... hell no. That is NOT the kind of enviornment for no-respawn 3 hour long matches. I don't know about you but I've got things I gotta do and if I join a match, start a game up, with 40 other people, am forced to drive+walk halfway across the entire map, manage to get killed, and have to wait a few hours before everyone is dead... no thanks. I'd rather spend my time in a respawn server.

I'm always of the opinion that there is no place for a no-respawn game in mulitplayer if the area of conflict is very large and/or the teams are very massive in size (unless the objective isn't some huge mass-killing thing where you have to spend 20 minutes finding the last AI to win). Doing stuff like a squad of 12 guys, no respawn, or maybe a platoon would be cool. All focused on a goal to reach/accomplish.

Actually that's part of my problem with Dom/Evo as a whole. There are no objectives except kill everyone. The only ones that have objectives that are not this are the side-missions, which are often ignored. If the large-scale co-op missions involved more than just killing everyone in an area and spending 20 minutes finding that last AI hiding out, and actually had REAL objectives to complete, I'd like it a lot more. It's basically deathmatch right now. Oh and disable all aircraft except transport heli's so the objective isn't piss easy to complete via blowing it up.

You know, I think if I ever learn the editor I'll try and do a mission like that.

Edited by KorJax

thx for your explanation Shinobi. my best ArmA experience was Berzerk, Evo and one cool CTF map, but i dont remember it's name. generally, i think human vs human modes are the most enjoyable. about the AAS - i gonna check this out :)

Domination and Evo are fantastic missions. Look at what the developers of those missions did for arma by showing what you can do with the editor. These games suffer from 2 things as far as I can see. They are too generic - "kill this town with all this infantry and armour in it" doesn't really give much depth. The other thing is the player base - are you playing on an open server? Closed communities like shack tac (by closed I mean you cannot just jump on their server without invitation) are far more organised and don't suffer from asshats.

We are playing a game that can hold hundreds of players and yet it is the players that spite the game. Mic's these days are $5 but so many people are scared to use them! Why? Do they think we give a shit about them? Do they think themselves that important that we care what they sound like - as long as they don't talk like an idiot we want them on the mic.

Player quality varies massively as well. Most people don't want to have any responsibility becasue they think if they fuck up in a "game", they'll be outcasts for life. Jeez we play 1000 missions a year and we're gonna give a shit if somebody tried and then fails on one of them?!- again they aint that important to worry about.

What the games need and always have done is players that are team players, can speak over a mic and are willing to lead once in a while. The run and gun "i gotta kill shit or my head will explode" mob are a detriment to this game. Imagine a 50 v 50 mission that was actually organised with FTL, PTL etc. Highly unlikely to ever happen so my advice is to join a community that plays a way that you like and your quality of games will go up, imo.