Sign in to follow this  
galzohar

PvP: Random Assault - concept discussion

This is an idea I've been working on for a while both in the editor/scripts and in the design area, and I'm now at the point where I'd like to see opinions from others as to what they think this mission should and shouldn't have.

Basic features:

- No respawns.

- Short games (max 10 minutes, trying to shoot for 4-6), to keep it playable with no respawns.

- Random location of objective and random location of attack team, but within a reasonable distance.

- Objective is to destroy 6 antennas that are arranged in a way that will allow their destruciton by using 2 satchel charges. The reason for antennas is that they're practically impossible to hit from long range.

- Inaccurate intelligence - you will never know exactly where the objective is, but only get its general area (probably ~100m radius).

Features I'm considering to include:

- Various versions of this map for tank fights, IFV fights, and combined forces. Currently only infantry.

- Options as to whether classes are enforced or are free for all (currently you have a class assigned but can pick different gear in the briefing screen if you'd like, only limitation being not having heavy AT weapons due to their unrealistic implementation in the game (no weight factor)). Hopefully this will also mean you need to be a crewman to operate an armored vehicle.

- Making a script that will force you to pick weapons appropriate for your side. Currently it is impossible to prevent USMC from taking RU weapons and vice-versa, so the idea is to have a script that will run over all USMC carrying RU gear and swap it with the matching USMC gear, and vice-versa. Not sure if I can pull that kind of script off, though.

- For infantry - option for light transport or on foot (and if light transport - trucks, unarmed humvees, or armed humvees - and if armed humvees, then if to include mark-19s or not).

Thoughts? What would you like to see in this mission?

10 minutes to attack 6 targets requiring 12 satchels with no respawn? I like all the individual components, including short engagements, but I don't see how that would work all together.

- Making a script that will force you to pick weapons appropriate for your side. Currently it is impossible to prevent USMC from taking RU weapons and vice-versa, so the idea is to have a script that will run over all USMC carrying RU gear and swap it with the matching USMC gear, and vice-versa. Not sure if I can pull that kind of script off, though.

Ummm why do you need this?

Script ammo crates at the start of the mission which are either RU or US specific and specify their actual contents to control the weapons.

No reason that they cannot pick up weapons from dead people during the mission if they want opposing forces equipment :confused:

10 minutes to attack 6 targets requiring 12 satchels with no respawn? I like all the individual components, including short engagements, but I don't see how that would work all together.

I do think he means that 2 satchel charges, placed correctly, will blow up all the targets at once.

I like the concept though I'm not certain about the recommended lenght of a game, but no doubt playing this kind of map is required to judge this.

No doubt I'll try this out once the time comes.

As for the transportation vehicles I dont think that the Humvee with Mark-19 should be available due to the ability to nuke the defenders to hell, might just be me thinking this way, but the Mark-19 is according to me way to good for this sort of gameplay. Where as the Humvee with M2 or M240 (Cant remember if that's the correct names) is more of support unit, able to get covering fire and making the enemies keep their head down. But again, this is my way of thinking.

Edited by PsychD

I do think he means that 2 satchel charges, placed correctly, will blow up all the targets at once.

Yes, that's what I meant. There is practically only 1 objective, it's just made out of multiple objects that need to be destroyed so you can't just get a lucky M136 hit and win.

As for mark-19s, that's exactly why I dunno if to include them or not. Having it can get unbalanced, but not having it can get unrealistic (16+ armed hummvees and not a single one with a mark-19...). Maybe for the infantry version I'll just stick with mostly trucks to stress that it's just a transport tool.

The reason I'm trying to avoid ammo boxes is because you're supposed to be stressed for time, and making the mission harder/easier based on how long it takes you to equip yourself in the ammo box is not something I'd like to have. The idea is to have a script that will only replace improper weapons at the start, not something that keeps running through the mission, so whatever you pick up on the way should works as usual.

Regarding the time limit, remember that on most gametypes you usually die once about every 60 seconds, and on those that you don't you can get bored pretty quickly. If anything, I'm afraid that 5-10 minutes might end up being too short, but then again this kind of mission duration seemed to work well for america's army.

As for mark-19s, that's exactly why I dunno if to include them or not. Having it can get unbalanced, but not having it can get unrealistic (16+ armed hummvees and not a single one with a mark-19...).

Well I could think of worse flaws in the realism than missing out on the Mark-19, even though I love realism, I would be willing let go of the Mark-19 for gameplay reasons even though if it means 16+ armed humvees with machineguns only.

And if it become a bigger dilemma you could make a version with the Mark-19 and one without ;)

Version 1.011:

- Completely remade.

- Using F2 mission framework.

- Assault direction is now random.

- Approximate objective area and attacker direction marked on the map, different for attackers and defenders.

- Using a rather proper platoon structure.

Problems:

- There are some problems with choosing weapons in the briefing, including the fact that the scripts overwrite whatever loadout you see/choose at the briefing. This is a known problem with the F2 scripts. I have decided for now to keep the classes enforced, but I did properly gear the platoon up for the task so it might actually be better that way.

- Need to actually have people test it! Hard to find bugs when playing with yourself on your home computer... Although practically all the scripts that I wrote run on mission startup, and I hadn't noticed any bugs with those.

Download:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ahhefce/n/random_assault_v1011_Chernarus_pbo

EDIT: This actually should've been posted in the other thread for the mission... Since I can't edit the title of this one I'm going to have to double post since this isn't really "concept discussion".

Edited by galzohar

Me and the guys I play with will be more than happy to test it.

We shall return with a little feedback asap.

Sounds pretty good galzohar!

Hope to give it a try tonight.

For random mission area placement, you may want to check out this function of

my vehicle DM: findRandomLocation.sqf (needs to be logged in)