Sign in to follow this  
MossyOakHunter18

Hello, I am new to Arma 2 and...

I seriously need help. I recently bought Arma 2 and I'm having trouble figuring out how to play the game like driving the jets (espically with VTOL). Also, I bought a new Logictech Extreme 3d Pro, and I can't program it to play with the jets in Arma 2. So please help me out, I will greatly appreciate it. My aim is nissanrebel08 as well as my yahoo.

I can't use the VTOL either, can't get it to move vertically.

engage auto-hover

engage auto-hover

Auto hover is turned on when I click the middle mouse button.

Then hold down "Q" and she lifts off the ground.... kinda like a fat stripper... on a pole.

You need to grab the manual and check all the keys and learn them and keep the manual beside you, after that you need to learn how the crafts responds and moves.. I too find it tricky but have not had a lot of time over to practice.

You realise that the menu says "AutoHover On", it means it will engage AutoHover when you click it, right?

Think of it as being "Turn AutoHover On", instead.

Aircraft are a bit difficult to use. I find that after a couple flights with them (both the helicopters and jets) you'll start getting used to moving them around.

I did figured how to get the veritcal (autohover) but can't figure out how to turn it off (I turned autohover off but i'm still vertical???). Still working on the joystick programming.

I did figured how to get the veritcal (autohover) but can't figure out how to turn it off (I turned autohover off but i'm still vertical???). Still working on the joystick programming.

All I did was change the joystick movements to the keys in the options menu. It works fine.

ah, i did not see the aircraft controls. I found it and now I'm still having a hard time because the joystick refuses to do what I'm telling it to do.

Flying is really not hard at all if you re- map your keyboard to a game your more familiar with i.e.. BF2. I played Bf2 alot and flying in that game I mastered. Arma 2 is much different initially, but when I re- mapped the keys to be like Bf2 it made flying a breeze. Arma 2 actually has better free look and you can look around your aircraft while you fly unlike BF2. The only thing Bf2 had that arma 2 doesn't was the fly by . If its in the game i haven't found it yet. Anyway, try remapping your controls to a game that you already know like BF2 or some other game . Also, I see that some people use the joystick to fly. Its not necessary and what do you do when you get on the ground? Run around with your joystick in your hand??? Hope this helps.

Edited by Bobby2

Autohover works like this for the F35:

1. Turn it on via action menu (scroll wheel).

2. Hold down Q until the F35 rises off the ground. Raise landing gear.

3. Turn off Autohover the same way and continue holding Q.

4. The F35 will start moving forward, slowly at first but gaining speed.

5. When you reach about 150 the F35 will automatically switch from VTOL to normal flight (you can see it happen in 3rd person).

For the AV8 (Harrier):

1. Make sure you have a decent amount of space in front of you.

2. Engage Autohover.

3. Hold down Q. The Harrier will start moving forward as if it's taking off normally.

4. After a short distance the Harrier will lift off the ground.

5. Raise landing gear :)

I think this is known as STOL (short take-off and landing) but I've also heard the way it works in ArmA 2 isn't realistic.