soul_assassin

ArmA2 Modding Toolbox for 3ds max V1.1

this is deprecated - no longer supported. If you ask me, there is really little to no need for a plugin anymore....

According to the wiki there's an export macroscript for max included in the A3 character examples archive. Have you tried that? There's quite a few experienced Max users on these boards. If they're getting stuff done, which they are, then it's possible to work without the toolbox. I don't know of any in depth instructional material that covers it though.

Presumably the results will have to be finalised in OB.

It may be something you'll have to put some study into. Even the addon for Blender expects a certain level of competence with the program before you can get something decent out of it. 

That's just it man, I have been searching for quite some time. How are they getting stuff done? Arma is so convoluted and confusing as it is so why all the extra steps? This toolbox seems like it made everything so much easier so what possibly came out that was easier that made everyone stop using it? :S

I don't think that anything came out to make it easier than using the toolbox. It's just the toolbox is no longer being updated. I assume Max users have just adapted to use the available tools. Possibly it didn't provide any major advantages over FBX or the bundled script?

With luck you'll get a response from an advanced user. I'd like to help more, but my experience with modern versions of Max is limited. I just thought a reply would keep the ball rolling.

If you don't end up getting a reply here, and you've tried a few methods, then consider starting a new thread. But list the things you've done so far. What worked. What didn't work. At the very least it shows people you're interested, and willing to get into it. Just don't expect easy answers or prompt replies. The modders here are not professional tech support. Good hunting. :smile_o:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, コーリー ちょうネクタイ レイ said:

Then what is the solution? Don't  want to use blender at all. Just 3DS max please.

I personally use the bitxt exporter over other options available for import in o2, mainly because fbx imported is bugged if you have more than a single UV set, OBJ imports shit inverted, and .3ds is a file that doesn't actually support animations.

I export each individual lod separately.

You will find the .mcr script under \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Samples\Addons\Test_Character_01\VM_s-P3D_Export.mcr

1 hour ago, コーリー ちょうネクタイ レイ said:

That's just it man, I have been searching for quite some time. How are they getting stuff done? Arma is so convoluted and confusing as it is so why all the extra steps? This toolbox seems like it made everything so much easier so what possibly came out that was easier that made everyone stop using it? :S

As i said, the author of the toolbox stopped his work on it.

You either try using it as it is with no additional support (which should work, but it isn't actually a 100% finished product), but do expect issues with it since it was developed for A2 and older max versions. 

Or use .fbx or the bitxt exporter

Well then! Dude! Life saver, thank you so much. The plugin was working and I was following all of his tutorials, but when it came to export it gave me an error so I opted out to blender, spent the time to learn that, pretty easy! Except... now bitxt exporter muahaha. :D Thank you again.

Now how does everyone manage all the CFGs and RVMATS? It seems quite excessive for the amount of models I have currently and plan to add in the future.

10 minutes ago, コーリー ちょうネクタイ レイ said:

Now how does everyone manage all the CFGs and RVMATS? It seems quite excessive for the amount of models I have currently and plan to add in the future.

rvmats are actually pretty easy to set once you understand how these work: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Super_shader

model.cfg is a bit more complicated to grasp, but having a look over existing ones might make things easier: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Model_Config

if anything, A3 modding is not really noob friendly, but the information is available. I also do recommend you join A3 discord channels

4 minutes ago, PuFu said:

rvmats are actually pretty easy to set once you understand how these work: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Super_shader

model.cfg is a bit more complicated to grasp, but having a look over existing ones might make things easier: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Model_Config

These are all super overwhelming, but I'm really feeling it now! Thanks for all your help PuFu. Now it's a matter of finding that supershader.fx file to load into my 3ds max! 

4 minutes ago, コーリー ちょうネクタイ レイ said:

These are all super overwhelming, but I'm really feeling it now! Thanks for all your help PuFu. Now it's a matter of finding that supershader.fx file to load into my 3ds max! 

there is no such thing as supershader.fx (made public) so don't even bother searching

Yeah I saw a thread of you requesting for it to be released lol.

Well I get it now, it is actually a .fx file you make! I'm just going to load that up with all the different parameters and put it somewhere I can copy around. Speaking of which, is there a "master" pastebin for these files?

I use 3D Max and export my models as 3DS to "Builder" ... then there I finish adjusting the parameters. If you want to work with Max, little can be done.