soul_assassin

ArmA2 Modding Toolbox for 3ds max V1.1

Well, the point is folder locations and names have changed. ie. there is no longer a UI folder etc. Providing instructions for 2013 would greatly reduce the number of unneeded posts here.

Well, the point is folder locations and names have changed. ie. there is no longer a UI folder etc. Providing instructions for 2013 would greatly reduce the number of unneeded posts here.

very well:

2013 install:

To install the toolbox follow the steps:

1) Unpack the folder ArmAToolBox into the $maxroot$\Scripts\ folder.

2) Unpack all the icons: arma2toolIcon_##i.bmp and arma2toolIcon_##a.bmp into both $maxroot$\UI_In\Icons\ and $maxroot$\UI_In\IconsDark folders.

3) Unpack loadArmAToolBox.mcr into $maxroot$\Macroscripts\ folder.

Steps 4 to 10 are exactly the same.

Thank you very much, PuFu. I'm sure that will help many people.

Edit: Tested it out on a fresh install of 3DS Max 2013. Worked like a charm.

Edited by Rudedog
Update

im brand new to moddeling but i have this working, barely understand things though even after reading the documentation. is there a tutorial anywhere that starts a model from scratch in 3ds and takes you all the way to the ingame model? if not, is there anybody that would be willing to help an ambitious fella via skype or ts on his first model? :) i offer free cookies :P

anyways, i have 3dsmax 2012 and it worked the first time after following install instructions, so it seems like a good tool

im brand new to moddeling but i have this working, barely understand things though even after reading the documentation. is there a tutorial anywhere that starts a model from scratch in 3ds and takes you all the way to the ingame model? if not, is there anybody that would be willing to help an ambitious fella via skype or ts on his first model? :) i offer free cookies :P

anyways, i have 3dsmax 2012 and it worked the first time after following install instructions, so it seems like a good tool

Sorry dude, the tool is really intended for people who know what they are doing, just to save them time. Making a addon is a massive undertaking and usually takes experienced folk months to complete. First familiarize yourself with just using max. There are tons of free tuts online. I'm afraid you will not find anyone who can just teach you one on one. And even if you are really serious about it, expect it to be years before you get the hang of it. Sorry for the somber answer but trust me When I say "in before PuFu murders you" :) inside joke

even just for making buildings? all i need is static buildings for what im trying to do

1. There are literary hundred of thousands of tutorials regarding game oriented modelling around the web. Being new to both modelling (and max in your case) and A2 is hardly gonna help with what you have in mind, but it depends on your time and perseverance

2. BIS has released all the content from A1, including buildings. Have a look over them, and see what is needed to have a model work withing the game.

3. No one will be able to hold your hand like you'd like. It is not because no one wants it, but because of time constrains and so forth. Cookies are not gonna help here, especially virtual ones.

4. This is NOT the thread for asking someone to help you out though. This thread is about a very useful tool create by Soul Assassin in his own time in order to shorten the time needed for max users to get content within O2. I'd like to keep it that way. Besides, the videos in his documentation are very well made for the average artist that is already familiar with basic notions about modelling.

even just for making buildings? all i need is static buildings for what im trying to do

Buildings or no buildings....Have a look over this tutorial http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Mondkalb's_Addon_Tutorial

The rule of thumb in is editing section is simple: You post the specific issue you're having here, after you've tried to deal with it on your own, and you receive a specific answer to your problem. Why is that. Because that way you show you're actually interested in what you are trying to do, and you have tried to move things by yourself, but you end up with some dead ends. You haven't even started properly, yet you ask for someone to do everything for you.

Maybe with A3, someone will take their time to create a more comprehensive tutorial. from start to end, covering most of the models one would bump his head against (building, prop, character, vehicle, weapon). Till then, good luck

@SA: ;)

yeah heard this before, wouldve been nice to run into somebody willing to help. im not saying im wanting somebody to do all the work for me, all i wanted was somebody that can walk me through my first one and from there out i would do all the work myself. the link you posted seems to have more info that im looking for, thanks for that. anyways, hopefully one day ill understand how to fully use this tool...

yeah heard this before, wouldve been nice to run into somebody willing to help. im not saying im wanting somebody to do all the work for me, all i wanted was somebody that can walk me through my first one and from there out i would do all the work myself. the link you posted seems to have more info that im looking for, thanks for that. anyways, hopefully one day ill understand how to fully use this tool...

you've misread my post. there are plenty of people out here willing to help. You just need to ask the questions.

there is however (not from what i know anyways) someone willing to hold your hand through the entire process.

regarding the tool: what part you don't understand/ know how to use? be specific please

well, honestly i tried to much to backtrack and explain all that i did, but trust me i tried quite a bit. i think my problem is that i really dont understand fully what everything does and how it connects. i actually got a building model from 3ds to o2 but didnt know what to do from then either. i followed a few tuts, pbo'd it and tried to load it up but couldnt even find it in the editor. im asking a couple of people personally if they would be whiling to help, not hold my hand, but just help here and there. honestly your post seemed like i offended you with my lack of knowledge :P sorry about that. i just need to do more homework i guess...

well, honestly i tried to much to backtrack and explain all that i did, but trust me i tried quite a bit. i think my problem is that i really dont understand fully what everything does and how it connects. i actually got a building model from 3ds to o2 but didnt know what to do from then either. i followed a few tuts, pbo'd it and tried to load it up but couldnt even find it in the editor. im asking a couple of people personally if they would be whiling to help, not hold my hand, but just help here and there. honestly your post seemed like i offended you with my lack of knowledge :P sorry about that. i just need to do more homework i guess...

No, i far from from offended. The problem is that none of your post were asking questions so you can get help, you have been only asking for help without specifying what is that you fail to do:

• what does the .rpt say?
  • what tutorials have you been following?
  • can you post your .cpp file?
  • have you defined the basic LODs?
  • have you looked over the existing A1 building samples so you have an idea about what needs to be done?

You are saying you have problems with this tool, but from what you have written above it seems you have problems with setting it up in O2, as well as writting its configs.

Again, if you want help, please create a proper thread in http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?97-ARMA-2-amp-OA-MODELLING-(O2), because it seems your issues are NOT related to this tool, and thus there is no need to clog this thread some more.

Toubles with 64 bit windows 7 , 2013 3ds max. when i try to make lods default is o and there is memory lods , but when i try to make more lods it gives me an error runtime error ; Cant Load Button Images : bitmap; C;\Program files\autodesk\3dsmax2010\scripts\ArmaToolBox\armatoolbox2.bmp Puzzled Any Thoughts Please!

Toubles with 64 bit windows 7 , 2013 3ds max. when i try to make lods default is o and there is memory lods , but when i try to make more lods it gives me an error runtime error ; Cant Load Button Images : bitmap; C;\Program files\autodesk\3dsmax2010\scripts\ArmaToolBox\armatoolbox2.bmp Puzzled Any Thoughts Please!

just create this folder and put the bmp into it for a quick fix. I dont know exactly where in the problem lies, have not tried it with 2013.

I've been trying out this fantastic toolbox for 3dsmax for a few days and i'm very happy with it :)

Got one small problem tho,.. All the faces of my polys in 3dsmax is inverted when model is opened in O2. It's not a big problem, just flip all faces before export but rather annoying.

Anyone encountered this before?

3dsmax 2013 x64

-Tk

I don't know if it will be required, but will there be an updated version for ArmA3?

nope, not required as ar as i can see. major update will come at some point once i get it done

nope, not required as ar as i can see. major update will come at some point once i get it done

Roger that.... thanks for this awesome tool.

just create this folder and put the bmp into it for a quick fix. I dont know exactly where in the problem lies, have not tried it with 2013.

Had that problem too.

Solution is rather simple. Perhaps Soul_Assassin is able to change that for the next update

1. Open 3ds Max 2013
  2. Got to "MAXScript -> MAXScript Editor"
  3. Open the File "[your3dsmaxinstallationfolder]\scripts\ArmAToolBox\modules\031lods.ms"
  4. Search for the lines 163 and 164
  5. Replace the two lines with the following ones (the most important part is the path, it is self-explaining i think):

button dupeLODa "A" pos:[248,32] width:24 height:24 images:#(((getDir #scripts) + "\\ArmAToolBox\\armaToolBox2.bmp"), undefined, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8) toolTip:"Confirm."

button exitDupeLOD "D" pos:[280,32] width:24 height:24 images:#(((getDir #scripts) + "\\ArmAToolBox\\armaToolBox2.bmp"), undefined, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9) toolTip:"Cancel."

But I am not able to export a working .p3d file. Getting an error if I want to load it to O2...

Hi,

i run 3ds max 9 (not 2009) 32 bit.

Everytime i want to export a model to oxygen as a *.p3d file i get the following error: --Runtime error: EPoly operation on non-Editable Mesh: Editable Mesh.

If I try to port it via the 3ds export file most of the objects of that model are not at the right position.

If I use the *.onj variant i get this error in oxygen. Import failed: Parse error in obj file "filename.obj" - General read error (maybe float values are invalid) at line xxxxxx

Thanks in advance. Maybe its the export options, but tbh. I dont know which ones are correct.

Maybe its also the 3D Studio Max version i use.

OK I upgrade to 3D max 2013, no more problems.

Edited by liukang168

I tried to do as much research as possible and followed Alex Vorobiev's video tutorials closely to ensure that I had all bases covered before posting here.

I've run into an error upon exporting from max that I can't seem to resolve; I'm sure it's something silly that I overlooked such as a path I didn't specify.

I'd appreciate any help or advice on figuring out what the problem is.

(--Unknown Property: "filename" in undefined.)

armaToolError.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cifh14dq4k7sy2/armaToolError.jpg

Any thoughts?

*Edit* Turns out it wouldn't export because all the required maps weren't given a path. I resolved this issue by creating an AS and DT map and pathing them appropriately.

Edited by Sequisha
Added image

Hello guys I just started modelling to add some vehicles to arma, the problem that I have is the following:

I started using the tools by SoulAssasin with great success, but when Im done working in the model I save and close 3ds max 2013, and the next time I open it it shows a problem with the sketch properties, and when i try to run the tool it shows a compile problem

Thanks in advance

I got problem of export to p3d file, it always came out with message like “Unknown property: “effectFile†in filename: Standardâ€

I’ve build a very basic dice for test, it only got model itself and texture, but this problem still exist. Does anyone know which might have cause this? Thank for the help.

eJCu@.jpg

If the image is too small, just right click and open the image(http://ppt.cc/eJCu) with new page.

Edited by kuokenken