soul_assassin

ArmA2 Modding Toolbox for 3ds max V1.1

oxygen is free and quite good, but i wonder how many 3ds max addons are made on legal soft

this is of course other issue, but addonmakers who work on legal soft are sometimes criticized for "lower polycount" or something like that

it is offtopic issue, but for example i've done all in Oxygen only, sometimes few times used 3ds freeware parts, so when it comes to smooth parts models it is hard to competee with 3ds models

but it were my 2 cents when it comes to 3ds usage issue

shame that Oxygen has no some needed options like: cut one shape by other shape , phase edge, render to texture

someone who makes in 3ds have UV mapping in 1 second (render to texture option) while person who uses legal oxygen spent whole day

but ending offtopic about 3ds max, which cost 5 000 euro as i remember

This is really irrelevant. As Dwarden said, there are plenty of free software that you can use which is miles better than O2. But believe it or not most people who take modding seriously here also work as 3D artists for money, such as myself and have legal copies of max. They deserve to use this tool.

I like it very much...but when i try to do the ambient shadow map...i get this error: error creating bitmap

please send a PM or a mail to flamebale93@hotmail.com if you know a solution

thanks

UPDATE:: nvm i found it...i need to set the image size to 512 instead if 1024.

Stupid me

Edited by sarge4267

A note on making _AS maps straight in max to work straight in your materials: first u have to make sure it 512^2 and secondly after you save it you have to delete the alpha channel as max saves RGBA and it should be RGB.

Very good mate. Looking through the vids and its a great bit of work you done.

*mental note* turn down speakers after watching vids**

is it possible to edit arma 2 models using somethingother than 3ds max?

Official BIS Oxygen 2 Modeling tool, maybe? :rolleyes:

yeah i get an error in that. and it doesn't really model does it? it just displays animations and other things. i mean actually moving the vertices around.

the official modeling software for A2 is provided by BIS, and it is called Oxygen2

and it doesn't really model does it?

not by itself, but yes, it is indeed a modeling software.

Other modeling software

this particular tool set has been designed specifically to replace, to a degree, the needed use of O2

is there a program that can extract the p3d files from the pbo files? i tried with one of the arma tools but the p3d file gives an error when i try to open it.

p3d files exist in two formats ODOL and MLOD. ODOL models (the ones that come with the game) are binarized and cannot be opened by any publicly availiable tool. MLOD models are unbinarized and can be edited.

is it possible to edit arma 2 models using somethingother than 3ds max?

There are lots of 3D modeling software tools to use out there, But most of them will be hard or impossible to import into the arma engine or O2. 3D Studio Max is the only tool that is extremely flexible when going to different editors. Maya might be another one but I dont have to money for Maya. only max:(

I also could be wrong most modeling software will Export OBJ and I think O2 will take that. You might have some problems with the model when done importing.

There are lots of 3D modeling software tools to use out there, But most of them will be hard or impossible to import into the arma engine or O2. 3D Studio Max is the only tool that is extremely flexible when going to different editors. Maya might be another one but I dont have to money for Maya. only max:(

I also could be wrong most modeling software will Export OBJ and I think O2 will take that. You might have some problems with the model when done importing.

You are a bit wrong here. All modeling software (or 99% of those) can export files as OBJ or 3DS, the 2 types of files O2 accepts.

see with the axis points in the mem lods, i dont want to rotate them but instead extended them, im making a sniper periscope and aiming to have the animation of the user to select the scope and as he brings it into play extend the model before moving to the eye

define the axis as you would in the Mem Lod module but in model.cfg define it as translation.

ok im a nood pls can u show me what u mean in the model config pls when defining it as translation:) thanks in advance

Any change it can be ported to a Python file?

Therefore it can be used within Blender 3D.

A very powerfull 3d application.

How i install the plugin? I can´t found the Arma Toolbox in the customize menü