Sign in to follow this  
ybbor

Any news from b.i.???

The first one, patches will come through, you just cant install any because Steam updates automatically, just wait for them. Though theoretically, you could set it to never update and install the patches manually, maybe? I don't really know about that.:j:

I'm aware of the normal patches, I was refering to the beta patches in particular, I should of specified in the post, my bad.

Even if you set the game to never update on Steam, once you start the game it will automatically update... I've had this happen in 3 games including Stalker Clear Sky.

I specifically told Steam NOT to update Stalker CS and it updated as soon as I wanted to play the game...

Yapa

yeah, it's annoying. But what we're talking about is the beta patches. In Arma 1 they worked as mods. This allowed you to be able to play the beta patch and the non-beta patch without having to uninstall anything. I figure that if it acts the same with Arma 2 then I don't see why you couldn't use the beta patches on Steam.

I'm glad to hear patch 1.03 will be released soon. It's been almost a month since I've last launched the game. A big disapointment for me, after buying a whole new computer. I hope I will return to the game soon, for good.

Does anyone know what the new version of Trees will be that Ohara is working on?

He says this in his profile and its dated 15/07/09 so pretty recent! I wonder if this new version of "trees" will give us performance improvements and other features?

Yapa

Yapab: Perhaps so, we'll just have to wait and see, unless Ohara chimes in on the subject.

Excuse me - releasing beta build patches??

I get the slight idea that the steam users will be very pissed if steam downloads that beta crap over their installation. Even me gets a very bad feeling about messing up my game with a beta patch (no, dont say I dont have to install it - just assume that some servers will need it for my argument, ok?)!

Anybody else got the feeling to be promoted to a guinea pig?

BIS, get your job done - fix the construction site including the bugged dedicated servers - and stop abusing us for your lacking, horrible software quality assurance! We paid for a product - deliever it!

I hate almost every poster in this thread.

I get the slight idea that the steam users will be very pissed if steam downloads that beta crap over their installation. Even me gets a very bad feeling about messing up my game with a beta patch (no, dont say I dont have to install it - just assume that some servers will need it for my argument, ok?)!

lots of bla bla

thats not how betas work, it comes in its own folder and then you can choose it or the official.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

me too? ahh so sad...

BIS, get your job done - fix the construction site including the bugged dedicated servers - and stop abusing us for your lacking, horrible software quality assurance! We paid for a product - deliever it!

Please stop trying to incite the mob with unrealistic expectations. It's happening, betas are needed to get it done well and fast. Don't need to be an arse about it.

Amen - big hate out to all those whiners

Big loving to those who bring us PROPER information.

I don't know what came over me but after spending ages getting it to work on XP pro (32bit) I have decided to wipe my system and install Windows 7 RC (64bit)

just installed Arma II, probably not get to try it untill at least tomorrow.

I must like punishing myself :D

everything else is bloody nice though! (bear in mind I haven't been a Vista user, just gone straight from XP so there's lots of stuff to get my head round yet... surprisingly fast OS isn't it!)

As always with BETA patches you have the choice to run the game with it or not. Make another shortcut and delete the modline -beta

This was with Arma1, if its not the case with Arma2 I'm sorry.

everything else is bloody nice though! (bear in mind I haven't been a Vista user, just gone straight from XP so there's lots of stuff to get my head round yet... surprisingly fast OS isn't it!)

I did the same jump (XP to Win7) and am very glad I did. Lightning fast indeed, and no problems to report whatsoever. I'm very glad I skipped Vista, it's in the same category as Win ME to me, which is another Win flavour I totally skipped over and was better off for having done so.

Did you get the RTM or an RC?

I did the same jump (XP to Win7) and am very glad I did. Lightning fast indeed, and no problems to report whatsoever. I'm very glad I skipped Vista, it's in the same category as Win ME to me, which is another Win flavour I totally skipped over and was better off for having done so.

Did you get the RTM or an RC?

Is the RTM any good?

There's no official RTM yet, that said there is one leaked from China MS but since it's not official you've gotta be careful to check the MD5 hashsum. I'm not sure what the changes are as they haven't released a change list but I'm guessing it's minor bug fixes.

There's a couple of issues with 7100, but they're not major. The only one that really bothered me is that Bionic Commando doesn't work under 7100, haven't tested it under 7600 though, but that's most likely to do with the way the game loader/security feature is written (tried compatibility/run as admin, doesn't work)

The only other major issue is that I can't install Arma 1 under Windows 7. Well I can install it but after I can't patch it (get the CRC mismatch), although, that could be my aging DvD drive.

I am no doubt aware of that. But I'm not talking about some distorted textures that 2% of the users will see every 57h of playtime. I'm talking about severe code insufficiencies that affect a majority of the customers every time they run the software. Code insufficiencies that the devs not doubt must have been aware of before the game's release, unless they never actually ran the game outside stepwise debug mode.

However, the gaming industry's marketing policy has more and more become "just release it, those idiots will buy it anyway...". This, in fact, would hardly work with any other kind of products.

Call it unfortunately or not, the customer takes a major responsibility in this process as soon as he - naively expecting to get a working piece of software - buys the game right on release. If people, and this will certainly never happen, learnt their lessons from a large number of utterly unfinished releases over the past years, waited for the game to be tested by a number of mags & gaming sites and then decided whether to buy it or wait half a year before it has become patched to a certain degree of useability, devs and publishers alike were forced to think twice before they tag it gold status.

would you buy a book with 5% of the text pages unreadably blurred? would you get a DVD player where the play button is jammed every 10th actuation? ....

I joined these forums because I simply had to agree with roots.

I have them all....OFP right through to Arma2. Been "learning" for about 7 years now. I personally keep waiting and waiting for a finished product. It was a year and a half after I bought Armed Assault that I could even consider running it properly. New machine....new graphics card(s)....they didn't help. It was just plain broken. It cost a me a lot to find that out (it's still costing me).

It was also up to me to keep tracking the progress for a year and a half after I bought the game before I could get a patch that....kind of....sorted things out!

In fact I've been tracking progress for the whole 7 years! Always hoping.

You then release another game ...Arma 2....while there is still a final beta patch for Arma 1....which by the way means it is still unfinished! Are you guys nuts!! That's just plain ridiculous! No two ways about it.

Someone needs to sue the one of the suppliers and win the lawsuit. Which in this particular case would be quite easy I imagine (we actually own the evidence). Only then will there be any quality control.

Looking at the history of BIS.....and the history of the game.....if you do a projection based on the last three releases and seven years... It doesn't look good for the future. It's pretty easy to see that.

It's sad because I over the years I have come to love scripting.....but keep feeling like it's just a waste of time. Too many obstacles.

Time to give up now I think and wait for that "other" game in October.

I'm calling in arty on my position so.....

"Over and out"

"It's been a lovely f%$king war!"

I've just added up how much I've spent on BIS games.

Operation Flashpoint, Red Hammer, Resistance, Arma1, Queens Gambit & Arma2.

It came to about $600.00.

If I'd spent that money on any other faulty product I would have had it changed / returned.

Now like I've said - the fact that I keep buying these titles is a testament to the fact that I can see promise there. The problem is it's yet to prove this to me.

I have to say I agree with these people complaining about unfinished, buggy titles. How many "full" releases do we need to go through with this lot before we get a playable game out of the box? Operation Flashpoint is almost 10 years old yet I still see the same bugs playing that as I do Arma2.

I'm not holding my breath, but I really hope Codemasters do a good job of Dragon Rising. I'm fed up to the back teeth with the substandard tripe I've bought from BIS all these years.

hmmm.

I know what you guys are saying about "unfinished" game and all.

That said, I have been playing this game since OFP was released. I KNOW what to expect. I KNOW the shortcomings. Im not a programmer, but I can appreciate that there must be a hell of alot going on to make this game do what it does. I keep on signing on everytime they come out with a new one, fully knowing what im buying, and that there WILL BE patches coming.

This is still the best coop, military sim you can buy right now, and ever. When dragon rising comes out, I will buy it, just cause it has the OFP name on it. if its better than arma than that will be competition, which is always good for the consumer.

When I bought OFP on the release day, I didnt know what I was getting into..Everytime I bought AFTER OFP, I KNEW what I was getting into, and so did anyone who bought it that played a previous version. If you just bought this game and never played the others, I can understand the frustration. Either walk out now and go play call of duty, or suck it up, and hang out..it will be rewarding.

Im NOT a fanboy here, I just love this game. There are things that bother me too. I have a damn good rig, and I dont get the performance I was expecting. But I still choose to play. I DO think a "good gesture" on behalf of the devs, would be to release a sweet expansion, with tons of awesome addons, all for free!! ;)

Dont hurt to try does it? lol

Keep up the good work guys. I still love these games, and patiently (EAGER AS HELL) awaiting the next patch...

:S Hate is a strong word, you can hate me if you like :)... but I try to love everyone even though I can be an absolute bitch... just ask the moderators :D

Hopefully the patch is good so most people can start playing again.

A game of this size and attention to real-life detail will not be abandoned by those who created it. It will take time for things to get ironed out. When I first ran the demo version of ARMA II, it was a slideshow. I quit playing for a couple days, but figured I might try to screw around with some settings. The game is very scalable and if you invest some time for experimenting with settings, it works pretty well.

I'm sure the future patches will fix a lot of the problems many are having. Patience...

I'm sure the future patches will fix a lot of the problems many are having. Patience...

Yeees...maybe year,or three ? And this is optimistic opinion.