Sign in to follow this  
ybbor

Any news from b.i.???

1.03 will come in few days

That's good news! Placebo was right...

but we want to change way how we make patches. If it will be possible we will start beta releasses every new build. I think this will be announced soon, when we will be able to organise it.

That's a good idea. I'ld be happy to help with testing betas.

That's a good idea. I'ld be happy to help with testing betas.

With BIS, betas are released to everyone before they release a patch called final(cough, arma1 latest released patch is still beta...for as long as i can remember). So i am sure you will get you testing.

there, you have some news.

I'm happy with that. Don't spoil it by asking for more details, we have had a response and it will only be days away :)

Fingers crossed it'll be less than a week away, less than a few days away, but you know how sometimes unexpected things crop up so right now we can't say "oh it will absolutely be within 2 days" or something like that, as if it slips we get lynched again ;)
You're very welcome, glad to be able to help :)
AI fixes, campaign fixes, bug fixes, MP "receiving" fix, MP/Coop campaign improvements, some optimisations, usual stuff :)
Exactly.
The patch will be released as soon as it is ready and will include a fix or two .... well maybe 3, possibly 4, then again it might be more.

All you need to know is ... a patch is being worked on and will be released when it is ready, it won't be released if it isn't ready, sounds reasonable to me.

Planck

1.03 will come in few days, but we want to change way how we make patches. If it will be possible we will start beta releasses every new build. I think this will be announced soon, when we will be able to organise it.

...and there we have the locked sticky re: 1.03 details.

The latest patch for arma 1 (1.14) is a full patch, but I know what you mean and I think that's what they mean by beta patches, the same way they did 1.14.

For those who weren't around for it, patch 1.14 for Arma was released as a series of beta patches that everyone could download and test out then bug report. Each patch was uninstallable so you could fully removing it before putting the next beta patch on. This went on until they had perfected the patch and released the final 1.14 patch. It was the last ever patch for Arma 1 and I don't think I encountered another bug after that patch.

1.03 will come in few days, but we want to change way how we make patches. If it will be possible we will start beta releasses every new build. I think this will be announced soon, when we will be able to organise it.

Thanks for the info. :)

Many thanks ohara.

I hope you can appreciate our feelings and frustrations. We adore this game and we understand that getting it even to this stage was a monumental effort, but there's clearly a long way to go.

I really think we deserve something more substantial than "it's ready when it's ready".

There is a developers blog, that'd be the perfect vehicle for better comms between BI and it's customers.

get real placebo ???????????

RGC002-willis.jpg

?

Thanks for the updated info!

To me it sounds like Ohara is saying they will be releasing unofficial "beta" patches before releasing official patches to the public.

So for example, we are now waiting on 1.03 and when it comes it will be a tested and official patch available and mirrored everywhere.

But with 1.04 it could be that we get something called "1.04_beta1" which will be available on the forums here and maybe only on BIS website. The hardcore fans will download it (and most likely everyone else!) and report any bugs and improvements needed.

These will be fixed or taken into consideration and applied to an official 1.04 patch.

Thats what I think they mean, but I could be wrong.

Yapa

The latest patch for arma 1 (1.14) is a full patch, but I know what you mean and I think that's what they mean by beta patches, the same way they did 1.14.

Sorry to break it like that to you, but the latest ArmA patch is 1.16 (and has been for about 4 months now).

Thats what I think they mean, but I could be wrong.

Yapa

Yes, you are, if BIS sticks with their way of releasing patches:

1. don't let the beta name fool you. It's still a patch, it's official, and some have quite a long changelog. It's called like that so that ppl cannot say: "hey, but the patch screw some things, or didn't fix em all". It's a safety feature for them.

2. Those patches are gonna be made available for everyone. There is no such thing as "hardcore fans only". Be sure to see a lot of mirrors. You will see servers updated etc. (i know i used to play ArmA with 1.16 beta for sooo long, and never considered it a "beta patch" since it fixed most of the bugs to that point).

3. It should be installed in a different directory, which would allow you to play with 1.03beta or with 1.02 if you like (especially since Steam has a problem with the so called beta patches etc, and some Server providers).

4. Every patch, has its own thread: bugs, improvements etc can be listed there. There are 3 threads right now for 1.02.

Edited by PuFu

Sorry to break it like that to you, but the latest ArmA patch is 1.16 (and has been for about 4 months now)

Sorry, you're absolutely right. I stopped looking at the Arma 1 forums a long time ago so I didn't realise they went past 1.14. Armedassault.com and ausgamers.com only went to 1.14 so I never bothered looking if anything had changed, but thanks for pointing that out, gonna reinstall Arma 1 now and give the new patches a go :)

There is a slight issue of releasing 'each build' type beta patches, it means that server admins will most likely not patch the server until it is finalised so the community will be split but I would assume that as per ArmA 1 you would be able to run both non-patched and beta-patched on the same machine (mod folder).

Still any improvment over the current patch method would be welcomed.

Somekind of semi official auto updater would be nice. A small software that would query a xml file from a bohemia server (inside this xml file would be mirror urls for patches from sites that want to host the patches, that solution would not need bohemia to pay the big traffic that would be needed to release the patches to all customers worldwide). This auto updater would be started before every gamestart and would download the small patches. With such an auto updater there could be small patches released within small time ranges and no one would need to check the sites for patches daily, servers would update them self also, etc. Just an idea, not very hard and time intensive to realize.

So bohemia would need only to manage the mirror sites in their xml file and deliver the patches to the mirror sites.

If I hate something are these beta patches... c'mon if you release a patch its a patch, when you tweak something its a new version/build. Word beta means that a lot of players linger to even try it out as they think the won't be able to join the majority of the servers not to mention how many headaches cause this \beta when organizing squadnights and you have to explain all this stuff to noobies.

A1 even has a latest beta patch for months now and we still didn't recieve a full one :/

I think there is nothing bad in asking about the development status of the patch.

I know the patch will be released when ready (this is evident) but on the other hand it would be interesting for us to know something more.

When I go to have my car repared because is not working correctly I have to right to call and ask when it will be ready and how they are proceding with the work even if I know thet I will get "WHEN IS DONE"

I think a new thread about car examples should be made. I have made some good car examples myself and have seen quite a few in the forums now :D

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

AI fixes, campaign fixes, bug fixes, MP "receiving" fix, MP/Coop campaign improvements, some optimisations, usual stuff :)

Dude are you serious? What about the poor preformance issues? This game runs like a tortoise with arthritis. Are we going to see an increase in fps in this patch?

the word "optimisation" .. look it up :)

There is going to be one problem with this... I bought the Steam version and as stated by BIS before release, they will not be putting beta patchs on the steam version.. oh well, have to pull out me old German version.

Dude are you serious? What about the poor preformance issues? This game runs like a tortoise with arthritis. Are we going to see an increase in fps in this patch?

Well, do you rather get a patch now, fixing lots of stuff but no major performance fixes, or wait a month or three for any patch at all, just because you don't want a patch not fixing performance?

the word "optimisation" .. look it up :)

There is going to be one problem with this... I bought the Steam version and as stated by BIS before release, they will not be putting beta patchs on the steam version.. oh well, have to pull out me old German version.

Did they say the patches themselves won't work on the Steam version, or just that they'll not distribute them via Steam? Never seemed to give much fuss in ArmA1. I can understand there being no distribution being it's a beta patch, but I don't see why a beta patch wouldn't work since it's a separate folder like a mod to a certain extent.

Well, if it is like Arma 1 and works as a mod folder then I don't see why it wouldn't work. That said, if it's a normal patch then it won't work as the patches are written different for Steam version (actually, even the mod patch may not work due to it, but not sure)

The reason they wont release beta patches on Steam is because the Steam system forces you to update your game when you load it... and since its a "beta" patch they do not want everyone to have it.

Yes this "beta" patch might be like a real patch, but its still a "beta".

This is why I waited 2 weeks and purchased the 505 DVD version... I love steam and have over 30 games in it, but there are some games which I just wont purchase on Steam.... Stalker series and ARMA series are such games as they DO require patches.

Yapa

Yes of course. Don't you understand, I have paid the full prize WEEKS ago, not being able to play until now. By now, you can get a copy for half the price! And agiain I am a customier, I at least want information on when it's going to be fixed. There is still no official note on that. Placebo just believes, it's finished soon. BIS should keep his moderators informed and those should keep us informed. It's that simple. I'm a customer, no solicitant.

Well the old days of the 'customer is always right' are gone.... you'll struggle to get better support from another company, the game is hugely complex blah blah blah etc etc etc but its all true... if EA had made this game you would have cut your wrists by now cause 1.02 would be ALL you'd get and if you'd asked for more you'd be told to fuck off....

2nd... ITS CALLED BUYER BEWARE.... didn't you read reviews or forums? you knew or should know what BI's initial releases are like, so get over it and wait.

Did they say the patches themselves won't work on the Steam version, or just that they'll not distribute them via Steam?

The first one, patches will come through, you just cant install any because Steam updates automatically, just wait for them. Though theoretically, you could set it to never update and install the patches manually, maybe? I don't really know about that.:j: