Sign in to follow this  
ybbor

Any news from b.i.???

Fingers crossed [...] we get lynched again ;)

I bet 50 EU - who's with me? :deal:

To be serious, I'm happy to hear some news!

Any news from b.i.???

Place yourself in a BI dev shoes. You are making a game, then come the big bosses, they want money and they want it now. You release an unfinished product full of bugs and missing features, everybody panic and make bad critics. Now your job is to finish the game by making patches. You'd want to come here and face the angry customers to post your work's news? I wouldn't.

Edited by Dreossk

@Placebo... Can we expect at the same time linux/win dedicated server?

Oh my god I need news! I have nothing better to do. ;)

Good news Placebo, thanks for the info.

Thanks very much for the update. Just as long as everyone realises there's a good chance it won't fix 100% of issues and it's almost certain that there will be at least one problem everyone considers to be of high importance that won't be dealt with. Such is the way of supporting any product, it's impossible to please everyone all the time.

The best plan is hope for a miracle, expect a kick in the teeth... Somewhere between the two is a good indication of what will actually happen.

Also:

I suggest we initiate a worldwide petition to introduce some sort of "warranty of completeness" for software, protecting the customer from unfinished products. if we had such, no dev would dare to release a game before it has been cleaned of severe and reproducible bugs.

That's Microsoft screwed for a start!

Place yourself in a BI dev shoes. You are making a game, then come the big bosses, they want money and they want it now. You release an unfinished product full of bugs and missing features, everybody panic and make bad critics. Now your job is to finish the game by making patches. You'd want to come here and face the angry customers to post your work's news? I wouldn't.

I would out of respect for the people who payed for the game. There have been developpers in the past who have released official press statements to apologize for the product they have put on the market (see e.g. Area 51). There is no shame in that, and it would earn the respect of the community much more than not reacting at all.

About the patch: some optimisations? What the hell? If the game has a big problem it's the performance. The troubleshooting forum is almost all about performance issues. It should be the number 1 priority.

The state this game is in, it should never have been released. Everybody with a sane mind understands that. No excuses about the complexity of the game are valid. You either make a complex game and release it when it's ready (the catch phrase of our moderator about the patch 'when it's done' should have been the catch phrase for the final product) or you make a less complex game if you can't succeed to make it work.

I suggest we initiate a worldwide petition to introduce some sort of "warranty of completeness" for software, protecting the customer from unfinished products. if we had such, no dev would dare to release a game. note full stop

Fixed that last sentence for you.

I suggest we initiate a worldwide petition to introduce some sort of "warranty of completeness" for software, protecting the customer from unfinished products. if we had such, no dev would dare to release a game before it has been cleaned of severe and reproducible bugs.

There is no easy way to classify software as "complete" or "finished". Essentially no software is ever truely finished, because there's always room for improvement, new features, etc... Such a petition would only harm the customers even further since you'd either get 100% complete software or none at all, and there's no such thing as 100% complete software. Most is somewhere around 80%...

AI fixes, campaign fixes, bug fixes, MP "receiving" fix, MP/Coop campaign improvements, some optimisations, usual stuff :)

Thank you for some info

Should note that a high up employee of Microsoft came out stating that Vista was "broken"... as such, that Employee is no longer "high up"

Fingers crossed it'll be less than a week away, less than a few days away

awesome, we can wait a week.

Fingers crossed it'll be less than a week away, less than a few days away, but you know how sometimes unexpected things crop up so right now we can't say "oh it will absolutely be within 2 days" or something like that, as if it slips we get lynched again ;)

Thanks for your reply Placebo, those few words mean a hell of a lot to quite a few of us on here.

I dont know if everyone realises this but amazingly, the longer they can work on the patch the more they can fix, ESPECIALLY for performance enhancements. Give them a break.

I swear some people think that there is just some magical line of code they got wrong and when they change it we will all get 60fps every where in game..:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update anyway Placebo.

That's great news Placebo :yay: Means a lot to me, you gave us some info.

I swear some people think that there is just some magical line of code they got wrong and when they change it we will all get 60fps every where in game..:rolleyes:

What lets you believe it isn't that way? There are so many lines of code. E.g. swap one "true" with a "false" a you'll get errors directly from hell ;)

I'm fine waiting cause if they released it prematurely we'd have 18,000 "where's patch 1.4!?!?!" threads.

I suspect we will have those anyway. :p

I wonder if it will be a full or beta?

It will become full as long as no problems are found while it's beta. You see, they're just words really.

It will become full as long as no problems are found while it's beta. You see, they're just words really.

Actually, I personally don't care if it's alpha, beta or zebra.

I was wondering for those with the Steam dnld.

Is it true, Steam doesn't allow beta's?

Steam doesn't allow beta's?

It does, but you have to actively participate in betas (it won't automatically patch to beta).

Fingers crossed it'll be less than a week away, less than a few days away, but you know how sometimes unexpected things crop up so right now we can't say "oh it will absolutely be within 2 days" or something like that, as if it slips we get lynched again ;)
AI fixes, campaign fixes, bug fixes, MP "receiving" fix, MP/Coop campaign improvements, some optimisations, usual stuff :)

Thank you very much, GREAT info :cool:

I would out of respect for the people who payed for the game. There have been developpers in the past who have released official press statements to apologize for the product they have put on the market (see e.g. Area 51). There is no shame in that, and it would earn the respect of the community much more than not reacting at all.

About the patch: some optimisations? What the hell? If the game has a big problem it's the performance. The troubleshooting forum is almost all about performance issues. It should be the number 1 priority.

The state this game is in, it should never have been released. Everybody with a sane mind understands that. No excuses about the complexity of the game are valid. You either make a complex game and release it when it's ready (the catch phrase of our moderator about the patch 'when it's done' should have been the catch phrase for the final product) or you make a less complex game if you can't succeed to make it work.

It is not that horrible, there are issues and hopefully will get fixed. My priority#1 is AI and performance.

I dont know if everyone realises this but amazingly, the longer they can work on the patch the more they can fix, ESPECIALLY for performance enhancements. Give them a break.

Well that is actually the point to discuss about. For sure, you can't blame the developers. It's not their decision, when a product is released. The management decides that. And the management should notice that - again - they released a game far to early. It even puts more work on the developer's shoulders. First they have to build a product that's close to finished, but spending time on fixings bugs only to a certain level. It takes more time, to fix bugs only to a certain level twice, than fixing them at once. And after it's been released they have to double their efforts, to get it running properly ASAP, because the customers are yelling at the poor developers (and poor moderators).

On the other hand, you can't just let the developers decide when a game is finished. There is always something to improve, and since devs tend to want to deliver a perfect product, the release would have to be postponed for another year or two... I see, there are different view angles, but who ever is in charge should be able to find a balance between 'we need the money' and 'it's not finished yet'. If patch 1.03 does fix the problems for most customers, that patch level should have been the one, to initially release.

I have learned my lesson. I will not buy any BIS titles again, before they are patched to a playable level. This will save me money, since this is going to take months and the product is much cheaper by than. But who wants to buy old titles, so I might as well never buy a BIS product again. I guess there are quite some people, who will do the same and BIS has to find out themselves, what's going to cost them more money. Postponing the game for a certain period, or loose money, because the products are not selling very well anymore.

Please excuse my poor English. I hope, at least do understand, what I'm trying to say.

Joe