Sign in to follow this  
Muzza

Multiplayer rant/suggestions

Is there absolutely nothing to play online except these 'one side' and 'marines 0.8' style missions?

A new player is spawned into an airfield full of hot hardware and is immediately dissapointed when he finds out he cant use any of it, because that is for high ranking players only.

Then yo eventually work out that the objective hasnt got anything to do with an airfield atall, but a town that is typically >5km away.

In a weeks playing only a very few times has there been an easy way of getting to where the action is. Where there has been a regular chopper service, and i admit being inserted as a large group of players then battling it out is very exhilerating.

The rest of the time the choppers have been busy carrying dead hardware back to base (what an utter waste of time and resources) that could easily just respawn; and in the more-often-than-not absence of an MHQ you can be left waiting 10 mintes for a means of transport to arrive.

Why do people play these missions constantly?

If people want to play a mission where they can take one objective, then another, then another, couldnt we cut out the middle man?

Could there not be a briefing HUD where you can choose gear, and choose a position outside of a sensible radius of the town where you can deploy, simultaniously?

It would save the sheer level of clumyness that inevitably arises when players have to traverse half of the map, all arriving at different times, with the slowest hardware and the poor bastards who end up having to walk because their parachutes have run out then arriving last when most of the objectves have been done anyway?

When the town is taken everybody has the option of getting back into the HUD and rearming, with say a 60 second timeout before everybody spawns around the next objective?

Why not turn a level of precision and feelgood teamwork that so rarely arises in these missions where valuable time is wasted all too often into something that automiatically happens on every objective.

So that when you join a server of 30 players, you are actually attacking the town with 30 players.

Short answer: yes there is, you just haven't tried it.

You wont get an answer to any of your ranting here other than one of the following responses.

1. This game is not for you, go play (insert generic fps game here, add some witty comment to make sure everyone knows what you think of generic FPS, try to baffle the op with talk of quadruple back flip z axis counter measure tactics, then smile at how superior you are)

2. Learn the editor inside out, then make your own mission to play how you want to.

3. An angry response, something along the lines of the good old days, Simulation not an FPS, its how we want to play etc etc etc.

4. Join a clan.

5. There are lots of servers out there that play just the game you are after, but you need to look for them, we cant possibly tell you where they are or what they are called.

6. Did I mention you should learn the editor ?

7. Your a troll

there's probably others i've missed off but dont worry none of them will assist you.

Hi all

Muzza I suggest you play Berzerk to begin with. There is usualy one or two in the TOP 5 numbers of players servers so just filter view by number of players or you can filter on Berzerk. It is a fairly easy game play mode to get into and will be a little familiar to you if you have played BF. There is a Wiki manual for the basics here.

http://http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Basic_Guide_to_Berzerk%21

There is also usualy 3 CTF servers running at any time among the 30 player servers. Again this will be a game mode familiar to you if you have only played COD. Just filter on game type.

For the more complex servers you need to maybe read the manuals or just tag along with some one who knows what they are doing. There is a sticky thread top of this forum which contains links to the manuals of some game forms.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79628

If you realy want to learn and are interested in teamwork I also suggest you join a clan. You can find links to ArmA II clans in this linke here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

At the top of that section there is also a sticked directory of ArmA II can servers.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hey stalker, ya missed one:

8. Someone mindlessly listing up preassumed answers for your enjoyment.

:D

But you do have a point, and the reason why you have a point is that the questions have been asked before. A lot of times. SO either the poster has not read any other posts before making his own (which is bad form) or he has but thats beside the point because he venting his anger here (which is bad form). People usually have the same answer to everything on this forum because every bloody thread is about the same bloody topic (which would indicate that we have a serious problem, I'll give ya that).

But seriously seriously, there are some good servers out there, and more will come (some are out getting new hardware right now, for instance). May I suggest Tactical Gamer or GOL, as I always do? Or if you're more into PVP, I hear that Charlie Tango (is that right?) is a good server for that.

that was my point Hund, the biggest problem is that its self perpetuating, the more questions that get answered with the same response type listed above, the more threads will be generated simply because they flood the search facility with threads that don't provide the information that is required, the result is a new post.........

Perhaps its a mod thing, maybe they need merging or perhaps if people know the answer then give it, failing that if they cant be arsed just post a link or don't post at all.

Its lightly moot now in this thread as Walker has answered it admirably.

Edited by {SAS}Stalker

Op does know he can walk up to flagpole near the ammo crate where he spawns and select 'teleport' or choose 'parajump location' ?

As for choppers having to go and retreive wrecks, what would you rather have? plane spawning as soon as it crashes so you can jump straight back into it and not bother integrating with your team?

It doesn't take long to earn the ability to fly attack chopper/plane on a server. And everyone has to do it each time they join a server.

Hi all

Muzza I suggest you play Berzerk to begin with. There is usualy one or two in the TOP 5 numbers of players servers so just filter view by number of players or you can filter on Berzerk. It is a fairly easy game play mode to get into and will be a little familiar to you if you have played BF. There is a Wiki manual for the basics here.

There is also usualy 3 CTF servers running at any time among the 30 player servers. Again this will be a game mode familiar to you if you have only played COD. Just filter on game type.

For the more complex servers you need to manybe read the manuals or just tag along with some one who knows what they are doing. There is a sticky thread top of this forum which contains links to the manuals of some game forms.

If you realy want to learn and are interested in teamwork I also suggest you join a clan. You can find links to ArmA II clans in this linke here:

At the top of that section there is also a sticked directory of ArmA II can servers.

Kind Regards walker

I concur with Walker. Learn Berzerk inside and out. It's a multiplayer game and has a great player interface.

Op does know he can walk up to flagpole near the ammo crate where he spawns and select 'teleport' or choose 'parajump location' ?

As for choppers having to go and retreive wrecks, what would you rather have? plane spawning as soon as it crashes so you can jump straight back into it and not bother integrating with your team?

It doesn't take long to earn the ability to fly attack chopper/plane on a server. And everyone has to do it each time they join a server.

Firstly yes i do know. Sometimes to paradrop it says 'need 10 ponts first', and the only way to get those ten points is a very long run... and other times it tells me that it has a half-hour cooldown time. which is great if you are team-killed as soon as you are inserted.

I can see how the MHQ idea is supposed to work, and i am sure most of the time players have set it up properly, just not in my short experience. An angry user 'screaming 'what has my team done with the MHQ?!' springs to mind.

How about 10 minutes after death for a plane to respawn? or 15? or whatever? or can a player spend some of his hard earned points on it's reencarnation? Doesnt that sound more fun and less time-and-chopper-wasting than sending someone to get it.

My point is that people do not have a massive amount of time to play games online. And that time would preferably be spent as a 'combat' simulator; not a 'waiting' or a 'fustration' or 'logistical support' one.

The effort that it takes to get to an engagement zone completely outwieghs the diffuculty of accomplishing the objectives involved. It kills time.

I am a notoriously stubborn individual. A pole at work once told me i could never learn polish, I po chodze ne universitet uczowac sie po polsku juz moge z movic niedobze!

I have tried the editor and managed to pull off a singleplayer mission, you can find it here. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6509 THat was mostly out of sheer subbornness. I'd love to try a multiplayer mission next.

Oh, and berzerk is great. just great. I can never get as much as a kill but its fun nonetheless.

the wrecks don't just sit there though do they, someone always takes the duty and goes to fetch them.

I have spent ages doing it just to practice my flying tbh, I was quite happy to keep fetching and felt quite proud of myself knowing I was keeping someone happy whilst getting practice myself. And whenever I brought a wreck back to base I always look to see if anyone needs a drop-off before going for the next one.

(actually sometimes they do take too long to repair on the repair pad, I've seen a mountain of wreckage on teh repair pad before lol, maybe a happy comprimise would be for them to be repaired quicker, or just get repaired in a larger area than is there at the moment. Having already done the hard work retrieving it from the middle of a bunch of trees.)

Edited by wooly-back-jack

Or if you're more into PVP, I hear that Charlie Tango (is that right?) is a good server for that.

Charlie Foxtrot :popup:

Hi all

For the more complex servers you need to maybe read the manuals or just tag along with some one who knows what they are doing. There is a sticky thread top of this forum which contains links to the manuals of some game forms.

Kind Regards walker

Probably the worst game play I have ever experienced. If you like getting blown up every 5 seconds by a new aerial threat than this is definitely for you.

Charlie Foxtrot :popup:

Which is basically a big TDM in a big map with long travel times between respawns, but at least the population there is more team-oriented.

I'm still waiting for goos missions to come out, or for me to figure out the damn scripting rules, whichever happens first.

;1385421']Probably the worst game play I have ever experienced. If you like getting blown up every 5 seconds by a new aerial threat than this is definitely for you.

Hi all

In reply to Plumb[82nd]

I have never ever experienced this and I play Berzerk regularly. Where were you spawning when this happened?

Kind Regards walker

Well once i emptied an M249 around the cockpit of an Mi17 as it flew towards me, so it circled round and blew me to hell, which i frankly deserved! Thats about it in terms of instand air death though.

Hi all

In reply to Plumb[82nd]

I have never ever experienced this and I play Berzerk regularly. Where were you spawning when this happened?

Kind Regards walker

I've had this happen. It's rare, but when it does happen it's pretty annoying. You spawn and get killed by an aerial bombing, then respawn and get killed again, rinse and repeat until someone pulls off firing an AA at the aircraft or until the enemy manages to bring a ground unit to actually capture that base (usually they will not be combined with any ground assistance because they're stupid, in which case you'll just respawn again and again and not lose the base so it's usually not that big of a deal).

;1385421']Probably the worst game play I have ever experienced. If you like getting blown up every 5 seconds by a new aerial threat than this is definitely for you.

really? the choppers have restricted loadouts and it's rare to see anybody but a newbie flying those things, which they usually do low and slow. i've shot down more choppers with a tank in berzerk than i ever did playing OFP.

berzerk is a fun map/playmode and an excellent introduction into ARMA2 PvP.

Is bezerk a map or game type?

It's a game type that currently only has 1 mission made for it (not counting versions that aren't supported by the original maker).

;1386273']really? the choppers have restricted loadouts and it's rare to see anybody but a newbie flying those things' date=' which they usually do low and slow. i've shot down more choppers with a tank in berzerk than i ever did playing OFP.

berzerk is a fun map/playmode and an excellent introduction into ARMA2 PvP.[/quote']

Maybe the server was just running a user-modified version then where they gave helos more rockets or something, dunno.

which is basically a big tdm in a big map with long travel times between respawns, but at least the population there is more team-oriented.

I'm still waiting for goos missions to come out, or for me to figure out the damn scripting rules, whichever happens first.

k.i.s.s

ArmA II is a combat simulator based on real world tactics and strategies. This is not HALO or Call of Duty. Eventhough the like are fun games, they are not "combat simulators". In the real world, you have to work as a team - if you don't, you DIE. That is the concept of ArmA II. You have to have pilot's that make frequent trips to pick-up and drop-off troops. Your LZ (loading zone) will typically be miles away from your combat area - this will prevent the chopper from being destroyed by missiles or small arms fire. ArmA is not for everyone, and if you are only interested in kiddy games that are not realistic, you should play a game like HALO etc. and leave ArmA II for the real men to master. War is Hell!

Edited by scorpionz

IRL you don't have pilots going back and forth to bring respawned people to the battlefield so they can die again.

Besides, IRL soldiers do a lot of things that don't really take any skill or thought. You can simulate these things and get a really boring game or start the simulation from the point where the boring part is over and the combat begins.

I just played some multiplayer for the first time today and was severly dissapointed with the people on the servers I played on (Aussie ones). People were playing like it was a BF game, taking vehicles by themselves and no teamwork what so ever. I haven't got the time to join a clan and I was hoping as the game is hardcore so would the majority of the people playing it would be and would want to work as a team and communicate a lot. Anyone know any good Australian servers filled with people that want to play the game like a simulator not a FPS?

@ All that @'d me haha

I'm don't remember what the exact server it was on but it was very laggy and it was a 24/7 spawn rape. It was open to pubbers and there was no organization at all. I'd have to assume that this would be GREAT if it were moderated but if not, pubbers will go wild. All the spwan times on the vehicles and people were at a very minimum.

I'm willing to be the original OP would burst into flames if he ever played any RPG scenarios.

I hear one has to download more patience.

It's alot of fun...but it's also a lot of work. If you give it a go, try to team up with other civs. Don't play cop at first.