Sign in to follow this  
pogoman979

rabbits placed in the editor die after a few minutes...

place some rabbits. stand in the middle of them. init this loop:

while{true}do

{

deadr = 0;
_rabbits  = nearestobjects [getpos player, ["rabbit"], 500]; hint str count _rabbits;
{if(!alive _x)then{deadr = deadr + 1;}}foreach _rabbits; 
player globalchat str deadr;

sleep 1;

};

watch as the rabbits slowly die one by one. this is extremely annoying as they dont appear to be dieing for any reason :/. can anyone else confirm?

look at the script i posted. deadr increases which means that the !alive _x condition is returning true for the rabbits...

Congratulations, you've discovered the secret rabbit-eating-killerfly. Watch out !

Try if the same thing happens when spawning them with a script.

yeah using createagent and createunit the same thing happens :O. maybe they're dieing from disease!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis ;)

( Famous disease in Australia where rabbits werent native and multiplied in plague proportions)

Like kylania, you sure they're not running away?

Unlike other ArmAII animals rabbits roam far and wide. I'd suggest they are not all dead .... they are just no longer within 500 meters. Maybe

Interesting, I modified the script to check for any damaged rabbits and it seems they do get hurt before dying, i.e. they're not instantly dying.

Don't know what's doing the hurting yet.

Also I added a 'killed' event handler for my rabbits (using 6 to test) and found the first died at about 270m distance from me, the second 320ish. That was just the first time - haven't paid much attention to it, just wanted to see if there was any commonality. Rabbits were started within 10-20 metres of me.

Perhaps the game deletes the rabbits when they are suitably out of sight to save tracking them all over the map?

Perhaps the game deletes the rabbits when they are suitably out of sight to save tracking them all over the map?

I'm pretty sure it should only do that for rabbits created dynamically by the ambient wildlife module. Manually placed rabbits shouldn't disappear automatically any more than manually placed soldiers should.

That doesn't mean you're not correct of course... but 300 metres seems way too close to the player to be deleting anything.

I tried creating a rabbit in the Editor and adding him to the players group.

He became my #2 and moved wherever I told him to go, I moved him to a spot 700m away from me and he didn't disappear.

Planck

My test was to place myself, then add 6 independent rabbits (ambient wildlife, animals, rabbit).

Using the script pogoman supplied you can see that the rabbits appear to die after a while. I never waited for more than 3 to die.

I was never able to locate one of them though. I tried adding an event handler to add a waypoint to my group but it didn't seem to do anything. Mind you I've never used the waypont scripting functions before so it's likely to be an error on my part.

i placed 30 and eventually they all died. the funny thing is, i never actually see them die, though i did find most of the corpses...

I tried this out. All the rabbits ran away from me at breakneck speed, even through barriers i put up to stop them.

The script as written nearly killed my game client though.