Sign in to follow this  
nichevo

endless "wait for host"

I hear this error is actually quite common, but I cannot find any mention of it. I both searched and paged through this section of the forum.

Here's the problem. I join a multiplayer game. I choose a slot. The game starts. I never arrive on the breifing/map screen, even if the host very patiently waits. I see the below screen. If the host starts the game the other players can be running about playing normally and I am still stuck.

The same thing happens with join-in-progress servers.

wait-for-host.jpg

Notice the "wait for host". I can't click on anything. All I can do is hit the escape key and bail out to the server browser.

I can host my own games just fine. Other players will often lag badly -- despite what I know about their connection -- but that could be a totally different problem.

Any ideas? :o

router port issue?

I don't believe so. After all I can mostly join. And others can join sessions that I host. However if there's something specific I should look for...?

windows firewall?

It's off.

can you join different session online?

No. At least, not recently. Everything was fine a few days ago. I was playing on some large co-op server then either I crashed or I lost connection (can't exactly remember which). When I tried to join again I had this problem with all servers I tried and it has persisted through to today.

That makes me think it could be some sort of cached file? I have emptied out the MPMissionsCache folder, but no luck. Is there any other file/folder I should purge?

My friend is having the exact same issue, he can't join our server because he gets stuck at "Wait for host" and it just sits there forever. He can join other servers completly fine and get in and playing within seconds. but, I doubt this is a server issue as no one else has any kind of problem connecting to the server.

If anyone know how to fix this, it would be greatly apprecitated!

have you added custom sounds to your profile in my documents?

I tried using a few voice clips in my profile and this happened to me so I just removed them and went back to normal.

(actually -offtopic or maybe ontopic if the OP's problem is sounds lol- I was having trouble converting wavs to the required format .ogg, got them to 16bit and they sounded fine, but they were bigger than the wavs in size. when I tried 8 bit they played at silly high speed, any Ideas?)

have you added custom sounds to your profile in my documents?

No, but that is interesting. Maybe I'll have a shufti around for other "custom" things like that I can delete.

Same problem, here each time i try to connect server, i see whaiting for host...sometime, take more then 5min to connect, after that, i choice a slot, press start, and i need to whait again sometime more then 5min again...thats so quit frustrating...i have a good connection speed...arma 2 firewall disable, arma 2 is is not over yet fixed i thing...this probably a server isue, because sometime, i dont need to whait, and other server...stuck.

Same problem here. I have been playing in a server for the last three days now and I had a CTD while playing and I get the error when trying to rejoin. Others join and some have same problem I do.

I found if I put my pc on DMZ in my router it works. So something in my router is blocking it from connecting after I had my CTD in game. I use a Dlink router and have these ports forwarded 2302-2305 UDP. Are these the right ports?

Edited by mia389

I recently got this problem "wait for host". I have been playing on the server for years, they recently added a new map and now I can only join if someone joins the server first and selects a mission. Once they leave I am back to the waiting screen.

This only happens with this server. No other players have reported any problems after the new map was added.

I reset my modem and router.

Not much more I can do about it.