Sign in to follow this  
Pennywise

ArmA Scripting Language

What should we name Bohemia Interactive's scripting language?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What should we name Bohemia Interactive's scripting language?

• BIScript
    • BISL (BI Scripting Language)
    • Poseidon Script
    • Battle Script
    • Oxygen Script
    • RVS (Real Virtuality Script)
    • Warfare Script
    • BallS (Ballistic Script)
    • Trigger Script
    • Trident Script

I figured I would rejuvenate an old thread regarding BIS's scripting language, . I think it still needs an 'official' name. I believe the general consensus from our last poll was 'BIScript'. Here's an updated poll with our final selections.

Balls balls balls... :yay:

On a more serious note, RVS actually sounds most appropriate IMO (and yes I did vote for BallS).

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Btw, I'm surprised BIS hasn't given it a name. They must call it something... What?

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

On a related note, I've always speculated that SQS stood for Status Quo Script, and SQF for Status Quo Function (and SQM for Status Quo Mission?). I'm sure many people are unaware, but it seems OFP was at one point called "Flash Point 1985: Status Quo" or something along those lines. I could of course be very wrong.

It'd be intersting to here what the devs have to say about the origin of the file extensions.

Edit: Wow, I actually just read that old thread. Maybe I was right all along. :p

Edited by Big Dawg KS

I've always speculated that SQS stood for Status Quo Script, and SQF for Status Quo Function (and SQM for Status Quo Mission?)

That's true. In fact, we discussed it previously in the old ArmA thread. I forget, but for some reason, there were devs that didn't want to refer to the language as such anymore. Although, this was originally discussed a year ago so I could be wrong.

Yea, I noticed after I posted that. Guess it was logical speculation. ;)

I can see why they don't want to call it that anymore, considering they never released anything with the title "Status Quo", and it has no relevance to ArmA/ArmA 2. I wonder what the consequences would be of them changing the file extensions for scripts at this point though.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Poseidon Script wouldn't be a good choice IMO. While the RV engine evolved from Poseidon it's really not the official name of the engine. It would sound better without the "Script" part... like if it were just "Poseidon". But that's already the name of the precursor to the RV engine.

Oxygen Script makes no sense to me. Oxygen is their 3d modelling tool.

Battle Script sounds kinda cheesy.

Warfare Script does too.

BIScript or BISL could work if BI used the sqs/sqf language for all their future projects. If they introduced a new language though it would get too confusing. If they name it after the company though how about SCAB (Scripting at Bohemia/BI). It's not original, it's a reference to Relic's SCAR, but sounds cool (not as cool as SCAR though).

Edited by Big Dawg KS

RVS or perhaps "RVscript" has a nice ring to it.

I agree. I kind of want to change my vote now... :o

BSL = BI Scripting Language. :)

Or RVS, of course (as my beloved "Poseidon" is too old school meanwhile).

Oxygen script is a bit misleading, I guess, as it is something different.

B++ (bis c++)

Bjarne Stroustrup called it 'c++' because it's basically c with the OO extras. The BIS langauge may include cpp config files, but this language is an incarnation of it's own. Don't let the 'cpp' extension misguide you. If anything, you could probably call it 'sq++'.

If anything, you could probably call it 'sq++'.

Well that would only make sense if it were a new language built from sqs/sqf, and if ++ was a sqs/sqf operator (since C++ also comes from the ++ operator in C).

B++ (bis c++)

As others said, C++ is named because it was incrementally (++=+1 in C language) more functional than C. B is an archaic programming language that is the predecessor to C. B++ would be misleading and erroneous on many levels.

*puffs out chest and struts*

:D

rvs, real virtuality script... name of the engine, and it's a scripting language.

JISM. I don't care what the letters stand for.

Sorry, I had to go off topic for a second for this. Sat down at my workstation, opened my editor of choice,

Edited by Pennywise

Id say BIScript :)

either that or BallS, cause sometimes you can really balls it up if your not concentrating :p

BiScript < should be written this way I think

Ps: But if within the choices I had seen BisRptFiller I would have voted for it :)

The web is a crazy place...

I found this, wish I had the link ;)

"Sqfing (Sq-f-ing) n. A programming language for a type of military simulator as a programer is using the language, adj. Used while programming by the programmer to show their fustration, borrowing the "ing" from frustrating. Other "f" words have been implied, but this is not the case"

example: "This sqf language is so frustrating"

shorted by usage: "This language is Sqfing"

IDK crazy www

:rolleyes:

Edited by xx-Jaguar-xx