Sign in to follow this  
Indecisi0n

What is going on ! ?

I am a BF2 guy and i am trying to figure out whats going on in MP mode. Are there video's and write up describing how to play and what to do etc ? I am trying to NOT be one of them noobs who signs on and runs around doing nothing but i need help. I am totally new to arma.

There actually are no set 'multiplayer modes' aside from coop and PvP. How a mission is played varies from mission to mission. Best advice I can give is to ask the other players on the server about the specific mission being played.

Follow a squad around and help them finish objectives. Look on your map, red areas are combat zones, for example a town might be red but when your group clears it of enemies it will turn green and you'll get your next objective. There are also secondary objectives like destroying radio towers to stop the enemy from calling reinforcements. One noob thing you should never do is take a helicopter unless you're dedicated to being a pilot. Helicopters are the main mode of transportation for your whole team.

Most servers have ammo crates near your spawn so you can load yourself out however you want. Usually I take an M16A4 with ACOG and SMAW (including ammo for both) and two satchel charges. That should help you with almost anything you encounter.

Edited by randir14

To be honest Most squad servers wont mind helping you out and giving you pointers especially if you have Vent/Ts etc. Also every one has to start some where.

Good luck out there and i would suggest starting off with a Domination map.

I mean i just spent and hr running around not having a clue what was going on. I try to chat with people but no one is responding. Im just trying to get a hang of it.

It can be daunting at first. On top of that every server has its own rulesets and classes to pick from. Dont get overwhelmed, it will all makes sense after a game or 2. Try domination to start with. Use the flagpole in the base to teleport to a MHQ at a hot spot and follow your squad. It will come to you.

Yeah some folks can have there own bum inserted in a specific Orifice. Find one where folks say hi to you and they invite you to Vent or Ts those are the decent ones. especially if they don't allow T'king and base wrecking etc.

Look for the more mature style of play and you will tend to find the people who will have a chat/help you out and point you in the right direction.

I mean i just spent and hr running around not having a clue what was going on. I try to chat with people but no one is responding. Im just trying to get a hang of it.

Make sure you are on the correct chat channel in game too... you can do this this by pressing the UP/DOWN arrows when typing in the chat window. When I first started, I remember typing away for hours only to find out that not one person on the server saw what I was typing since I sent it to the wrong channel(s). Try the ones that say Global and Side. Also, sometimes no one on the sever you are on speaks english. ArmA II has a lot more players in Europe than in US, so you may have been on a non-english speaking server.

BTW... Due to the number of threads surrounding this topic (New player woes)...I think it would be worth while for some one to write a MP tutorial mission similar to the Boot Camp mission, but for some of the more popular game modes.

L8r,

eem

Well i managed so far to get TK'ed 50 times in my base but i was able to request a motorcycle and just drive around. i tried to run over what i think was a enemy but it didnt end well for me.

Hey Indecision. I seen you ingame earlier. Remeber that long run we made LOL I just picked up the game the other day and I am still learning the ropes but it is coming to me. It is a very different game than any other out there but it is well worth it. You will start getting the hang of everything soon. Play through the boot camp in the game. Read all the threads that you can on the game in these forums and a very good but long read is located here: http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

If you need any help let me know.

Indecisi0n - I can totally relate. It it an overwhelming turnoff. I was in those shoes in 2007 when I had my 1st taste of arma 1. Then I heard of addons and other verbage which just got me totally lost. For now stay away from addons and missions that require addons. Honestly once you grow in ARMA 2 you will eventually figure out what addons are and then a new world will open for you, but for now stay away from them (my advice). At the end of this reply I have a temporary link which has 2 gametypes that are pretty decent on the arma 2 circuit.

Since you're coming from a BF type background you are probably looking for some team vs team action (meaning no coop or computer soldiers) which entertains base capture or some form of team death match fighting with a score result at the end and what team wins.

My recommendation for you for starters would be to get your hands on the following missions:

• Capture & Hold
  • Advance & Secure

Now you are looking for an explanation (how to). To make it as simple as I can, Capture & Hold is basically what it says. You start at your home base unless you join a game in progress and you own some which gives you optional respawn locations. The bases between your home spawn and the opponent's spawn are capturable bases. The longer you hold them, the more points you get. Your opponent is also trying to do the same so in escense both teams are fighting back and forth for the few captureable territories until time expires. I highly recommend the C&H missions that carry the BERZERK name. With BERZERK you get a nice user interface which you can figure out over time. As you hold bases you are awarded vehicles in the area as well. You also get a mobile respawn unit to use. Focus on this game and over a few sessions I think you'll get the hang of it.

For the Advance & Secure style, this is very similar to HOLD only that you don't get points. It is the team with the most territory at the end of the time limit who wins. These are usually setup with anywhere from 5 to 7 bases total and you can only take the base that is at the upper right hand corner of your screen. The mission tells you what base you can cap. You get in the zone and when it is ready to fully capture you head to the center where the flag is and claim it. This is exactly like Novalogic's game Joint Operation Typhoon Rising's AAS only in ARMA.

For a temp download with missions using these gametypes I set them up in the following link: http://urclan.org/arma2_missions.rar

Just download and place these files in your MPMissions folder in the ARMA 2 location. I'll be removing this link in the near future, but you can run these on your own just to get a picture of what these have to offer then get in game and have some fun. If you want to have some decent sessions my clan runs these regularly and has an awesome time with them. We also entertain other gametpyes but these are our bread and butter. Hope this helps.

so when i join some games and get that download window thats downloading addons ?

so when i join some games and get that download window thats downloading addons ?

Its downloading the mission/map. It doesnt download addons.

Hi Indecisi0n

Berzerk!

On public servers: To start with play some Berzerk it is the closest game form to BF. Berzerk is a fairly a simple Hold type game where your team gain points for holding a flag zone. You hold a zone by being the controlling team in it. So the more combat power you have in zone is important. Where the combat power of either side is not enough the sight is contested.

In Berzerk any flag zone controlled by your team can be used as advanced spawn, but beware advanced repawn locations have no spawn protection, so you are often spawning directly into a firefight. Contested spawns where there is no overall majority of combat power cannot be respawned into. Another Respawn option is the MHQ. The secret with the MHQ is to place in or near a spawn your side are contesting to reduce travel time; but it needs to be hidden so that the enemy does not destroy it.

If any vehicle is destroyed, MHQ included, it respawns at its original spawn point after a short period. Your sides base, the only protected spawn, has the basic vehicles, two tanks one light one heavy, an Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV), two helicopters, one attack helicopter and one transport helicopter and of course the MHQ.

At the base from the command tent you can also individually spawn a light vehicle such as a motor cycle, or grenade launching jeep, or a Truck. So that if all the base spawn vehicles are in use you have a method of getting back into battle.

Other vehicles only spawn at forward bases, these MAY be locked so that only the side who's vehicles they are can use them so IF the advanced vehicles of the opposition are locked, you should destroy them; as once you control the zone your sides vehicles will replace them. If they are not locked you can use them as a Trojan horse to enter an enemy spawn, but beware you need to tell your own side as a blue on blue is a potential result, also kills from an enemy vehicle count negative! Should not be so dishonourable!

Leave it and loose it

A vehicle left alone will after a time respawn. So do not abandon a vehicle. In the field Do not get into a vehicle some one else is using without their permission! It will be there for a reason. They may be over-watching their team. Getting into the vehicle in the driver slot or gunner slot often turns on the engine on turning it red on enemy radar.

When you first enter the game you can only respawn at base. As your side gains control of forward respawn points you respawn there but beware you are spawning into a battle. The actual spot you respawn at is random over a large area of the flag zone so getting killed as you spawn is rare, but can happen.

Team-play

Berzerk is about team-play. You can actually create and join a squad in game, then use green group channel to mark map and control the squad over VON. A good mix is two AT, an AA, a sniper on a motorbike (pedal bikes would be better) and an AFV.

Here is a basic plan for such a team.

Phase 1) Movement to the FUP

The sniper scouts, snipes and spots targets for the AFV. The AT and AA act as infantry screen for the AFV and along with the AFV cover the Sniper.

Phase 2) Once in position at the FUP

AT team and the sniper secure the FUP and patrol for enemy AT. All vehicles turn off engine so they become grey. AFV driver moves to the command slot, checks the radar for both red and grey targets any immediate area. A plan is made to neutralise them. AA scans and listens for helicopter threat.

Phase 3) Prep firing the objective

The AFV is base of fire along with the AA manning the grenade launcher. The AT team are the Assault team. Sniper is assault over-watch and spotter. Assault team moves out 200m to a flank and marks its proposed route into the objective. AFV switches to HE and along with the Grenade launcher plaster the objective and disguised in this the route of the assault team. Between shots AFV checks the command radar and the AA and Sniper spot and listen for threats.

Phase 4) Assaulting the objective

At an appropriate point the assault team shouts "Going In" at this point all fires along the assault line are lifted and fire is concentrated on the objective. As the Assault team moves sniper scans spots and covers them. Once close to the objective assault team shouts "We are in!" base of fire lifts fire and switches to MG and distant cover fire. Once at the objective the assault team secure and mark a zone for the AFV clearing and marking any or command line explosives or mines. AFV checks radar then rushes to secure zone covered by the grenade launcher and sniper. Once in position in town AFV covers move first of the Grenade launcher then the sniper.

Phase 5) securing the objective

AFV concentrates on using MG weapons to support AT team as they hunt enemy armor. Grenade launcher maintains AA over-watch and prep fires assault team routes sniper moves to an over-watch and spotting position. Once the objective is secured the team rorgs and plants mine fields and command line explosives. AFV moves out of town or somewhere in cover to a hull down position with engine off. Grenade launcher moves to a covered position and or switches to AA role near to the ammo box. AT team patrol the objective clearing enemy and spotting for threats. Everyone stays in cover.

Scoring in Berzerk!

The best Berzerk servers turn off the ability to see the individual score board because what counts is who holds the ground not the body count. To win a war you have to hold the ground. If your side can take all the punishment you can beat a stronger side, you just have to be tough enough and brave enough.

If your side looses all the advanced respawn points and is loosing badly it gets additional weapons at the base respawn like advanced helicopters. In all honesty this is like the Nazis and their V weapons, you can have all the advanced weapons in the world but if the other side is holding the ground then they are winning.

Game modes in ArmA II are infinite

Then now that you have established basic game play mode start sampling the other game modes BUT get ready for a shock! They really are infinite and nothing like Berzerk; as any body can make a game mode. As others have pointed out the thing you need to do is read the manual for the particular game form your playing. There is a sticky thread up top of this section of the forum that will help. It has links to manuals and sources of information.

Join a Clan

I really recommend for all beginners that you join a clan.

Other than that; Adminned Public Clan recruiting servers with TS or Ventrilo. Some of them are running training days so look out for those.

Zeus is nearly ready with its new clan server, and hopes to run public training days to help new players and as part of the

There is a list of clan servers here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

My recommendation for you for starters would be to get your hands on the following missions:

• Capture & Hold
  • Advance & Secure

I have to agree with Tom here, if your coming from BF2. Look for HOLD "Type" games listed and with AAS in the name. They are pvp and seem to focus around team play more than other non pvp game types if that's what your looking for.

http://www.sbs.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Arma2_Advance_and_Secure

This explains the basics of AAS, which usually about half the guys in the server don't understand. But, thats to be expected being public.

Thank you guys for all the help. With the info here and just playing more i feel i will get the hang of it. I just been playing BF2 for years so its a hell of a change.

Berzerk is fun, I just wish it would get out of beta already! There's only one or two servers that play it, currently the only one I ever see online is still running beta 39 which is filled with bugs...

Also would be great to be able to play on something else other than Sobor, but alas something I'll have to wait on when it gets out of beta.

One thing which i don't like with the arma 2 multiplayer is that there is no structure in the gameplay imo, since you always respawn after like 15 seconds after you have died, so after a while there is soldiers (human controlled) scattered all over the map.

Is there a mod or something which does so that you can't respawn after you have died, or that the respawn timer is much longer?

One thing which i don't like with the arma 2 multiplayer is that there is no structure in the gameplay imo, since you always respawn after like 15 seconds after you have died, so after a while there is soldiers (human controlled) scattered all over the map.

Is there a mod or something which does so that you can't respawn after you have died, or that the respawn timer is much longer?

That's not the game's fault. That's the mission makers' faults. Mission designers have full freedom and control of how to treat respawn, if having it enabled at all.

That's not the game's fault. That's the mission makers' faults. Mission designers have full freedom and control of how to treat respawn, if having it enabled at all.

Good ;P

I'm sorry but that would be terrible. This isn't WoW where there can be thousands playing on one server.

"Oh hey let's travel 225km which can take 10-15 minutes to do, die, and basically not be able to play unless you join another server".

The only thing that would happen is frustrated players just quitting and rejoining to "force" a respawn if the server supports jump-in playing. I don't know if you realized this but maches in ArmA2 usually last hours!

No respawn games make sense if the map/round in which you are playing is small (counter-strike). This is because if you die, the wait isn't going to be astronomically large.

In large games, it's pointless and frustrating because all you'll want to do is just join another game. Not the kind of mission server owners would like to have on their server. Let's not forget the fact that dieing is a punishment in of itself due to the travel times a player has to go through to get to an objective, unless the server is using mobile respawns (and even then there's a signifigant "delay" between the soldier being put back into action).

Indecision, try and find a server that is not running evolution or domination. These are two good open public missions, but they can be a bit too open for newcomers.

Instead, see if you can't get into a server running a more condensed mission. These missions are more liable to have briefings that you can read, so you know what to expect.

Once in game, follow the guy with the diamond shape and two chevrons - thats your immediate leader. If no such thing appears, double-tap ESC and it should appear, at least for a little while.

Now the guy that you're following might not actually realize that he is leading, because he is an idiot, but if you just keep on his tail, teamwork should develop, at least thats the theory.

And welcome to arma matey, hope you haven't been scared to death yet :D

I'm sorry but that would be terrible. This isn't WoW where there can be thousands playing on one server.

"Oh hey let's travel 225km which can take 10-15 minutes to do, die, and basically not be able to play unless you join another server".

The only thing that would happen is frustrated players just quitting and rejoining to "force" a respawn if the server supports jump-in playing. I don't know if you realized this but maches in ArmA2 usually last hours!

No respawn games make sense if the map/round in which you are playing is small (counter-strike). This is because if you die, the wait isn't going to be astronomically large.

In large games, it's pointless and frustrating because all you'll want to do is just join another game. Not the kind of mission server owners would like to have on their server. Let's not forget the fact that dieing is a punishment in of itself due to the travel times a player has to go through to get to an objective, unless the server is using mobile respawns (and even then there's a signifigant "delay" between the soldier being put back into action).

Yea you are right..

Im new to the game as well. Before I did anything I played some bootcamp and armory, just to test stuff out and to get to know how equipment and vehicles work.

After a while I joined a Domination game, luckily the people on that server was willing to help me out. I have learned alot, but still there is much left to learn. Although it's difficult, it's very fun =)