Sign in to follow this  
cobra5000

I't happend......in my borncity :(

My condolence to the family. But please don't get parnoid. It's a flu - not a seasonal one and more agressive one, I admit, but as usual, all you get told comes from the press and the media - first hand. They are not intending to calm people down, they are looking for viewers. So before you make judgements on the risk, access the situation correctly and check some trusted sources, such as the WHO. There you can learn quite a bit about vaccines undergoing research, strains being tested and prospects.

And one of the main rules is: In an area with swine-flu on the rise mind personal hygiene and avoid masses of people whereever possible and you'll be all fine ;) Besides, you have an immune-system which is well suited to protect you against such dangers, up to a certain hazard.

Edit: I think a good way of thinking of it is comparing the frequency of deaths due to swine flue to the deaths being caused by traffic accidents, muggings, heart-attacks etc ;) (in the worst case you feel like you are almost dead after thinking of these other dangers :D)

Edited by ManDay

Saw an article saying they estimate 80% of New Zealand will get it. So it's quite likely I will get it eventually :rolleyes:

It's not really any more serious than Influenza or whatever the proper name for the more common strain of flu. The people that died from it had serious health problems already.

The media is milking it for all it's worth because we don't have much other major news at the moment :p

On the other hand the bubolic plague in the dark ages did wonders for the economy by introducing labour as a resource to be cared for (workers became sparce) and killing of a whole lot of unnecesary government (all the local lords, dukes etc.) thus lower the tax pressure on citizens. It is viewed by some as the start of our modern economic societies :) Who knows what this influenza brings.

Saw an article saying they estimate 80% of New Zealand will get it. So it's quite likely I will get it eventually :rolleyes:

It's not really any more serious than Influenza or whatever the proper name for the more common strain of flu. The people that died from it had serious health problems already.

The media is milking it for all it's worth because we don't have much other major news at the moment :p

I'm sorry for having to dissent, but your second statemtn is not quite true. Swine flu as experienced in the current pandemic is known for being as perilious to healthy individuals as it is to unhealthy - even further, we have seen a unexplainable though slim trend that healthy persons are more likely to be impaired by the virus.

I'd like to see what source cites that "80% of downunder" will get it. T.m.o. thats utter bullshit.

I'd like to see what source cites that "80% of downunder" will get it.

Tisk Tisk Tisk ..... You know your geography as well as some Americans I work with do!

New Zealand is NOT "down-under" ... Australia is.

@Supah

LOL .... could free up all sorts of opportunities!

>> Local Employment Center - 2010 <<

"Any experienced Army Officers present?"

*silence*

"OK, any soldiers not killed by the flu here?"

*silence*

"Oooookkkk ... any Reservists?"

*silence*

"Wow ..... Ok, any experienced ArmA players"

*silence*

"Shit! ..... OK, any BF2 players who never used the Jump key?"

:yay: :yay:

Gnat;1382104']Tisk Tisk Tisk ..... You know your geography as well as some Americans I work with do!

New Zealand is NOT "down-under" ... Australia is.

Yep, noticed it shortly after I hit Submit but too lazy to edit... This time I'm even too lazy to hit Submit...

but I've too...

I'm sorry for having to dissent, but your second statemtn is not quite true. Swine flu as experienced in the current pandemic is known for being as perilious to healthy individuals as it is to unhealthy - even further, we have seen a unexplainable though slim trend that healthy persons are more likely to be impaired by the virus.

Out of the thousands that have been infected, only a tiny fraction have died. And just about all the reports I have seen stated that the dead victim had serious health issues such as asthma and obesity.

But now it seems that the first "healthy" one has died: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/2681647/Swine-flu-kills-healthy-victim :(

I'd like to see what source cites that "80% of downunder" will get it. T.m.o. thats utter bullshit.

Right here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10586395

78.6% to be more exact.

And the Kiwi's wont appreciate being called "down under" :p

Fun fact: I live only a few kilometres from NZ's first recorded swine flu cases :bounce3:

How meany people die from regular influenza each year again?

STGN

reporting "live from mexico" where it all begun (ok, they say it actually started in the US but the panic has been around mexico)...

for a few days all school, resturants and so on had to keep closed.. but now people are bored sorta from the flu and not really anyone is using the mouth cover anymore.

At some work places you get asked how you feel, and if you ok you will get a colorful sticker to put on your cloths, that way others will know you are "green".

As with everything media kills their own stories when people get bored of them.. right now its still popular in Sweden but not here.

supah, thanks for sharing the info, didn't know that and intreseting.

Mouth covers does not help a bit, at least thats what I have heard.

While the virus is not as dangerous as, say, bird flu, its still a good idea to wash your hands regularly and not share bottles etc. It spreads fast.

Some of my friends had it and they recovered fine. I even had a chat with them (albeit from about a distance of 3-4 meters) with them while they were recovering, without any ill effect to me. As far as I know, the mortality rate is much lower than that of the regular flu. Of course you could die from it without having any medical complications, but you're just as likely to be killed in a hit and run accident. Chance is a funny thing, no point in avoiding it :p

Things like this flu scare are the reason why I hate both the media and people for believing them.

Some of my friends had it and they recovered fine. I even had a chat with them (albeit from about a distance of 3-4 meters) with them while they were recovering, without any ill effect to me. As far as I know, the mortality rate is much lower than that of the regular flu. Of course you could die from it without having any medical complications, but you're just as likely to be killed in a hit and run accident. Chance is a funny thing, no point in avoiding it :p

According to the Dutch wikipedia (I cant find it on the English one, but they cite this) it has a mortality rate of about 0.45% whereas the regular flu has a mortality rate of 0.03-0.25%.

Which means im still not worried. :p

about 500,000 people die a year from regular seasonal flu.., im not gonna be worried if i get swine flu.. ill recover!

my advise is dont believe the media,go on to the web and look for yourself about the truth off the flu hoax and the real reasons about it.

A normal flu virus kills indeed more people every year than th flu they talking about now.

They call it pig flu but problem is it dind even affect the pigs stocks 1 bit, not a single pig have died from it!!!

when it first came out cientist lookt at the virus and discoverd that it is unusual string off flu that holds strains off bird flu,pig flu and human flu!!!

It can only have come out off a lab cause there is no chance in the world that it came from nature or pigfarms.

Look it up and you will be amazed! and for the ones that dont believe it,

The truth will come soon enough!!!:eek: