Sign in to follow this  
Joppa

huge war

hello!

i just bought ARMA2 and wondering if theres gonna be any "huge" wars

1000+ VS 1000+ Battles [Teams] and when u die ur gone.

thanks in advance

Depending on what kind of rig you have, 2000AI may just be playable... but 2000 people on a server... hmm wait for the year 2020 :)

Edited by Reyn

Arma2 PvP mission with 1000 against 1000 players? Would be a veryvery huge milestone in BIS development. Arma2 isnt a MMORPG.

Another question is if 2000 Arma2 PvP players:

1) really exist

2) if they are able to play this mission together

ok, thanks. tobad,,, that would be badass

UOQOLgyj8ko

There's a vid of a 1000AI.

1000 human players though... That's a different story.

Don't mmos do 1000's at once?

they do, but the load isnt shared simultaneously on a single server. Neither is there pvp combat with 1000's of player's calculations going on at once. Arma has too many ballistic and physic calculations for any server to support them on such a scale.

hello!

thanks in advance

Closest PVP u could get (made entirely of real players.. no AI) would be the 100+ player battles u get at Charlie Foxtrot (formally IC-ArmA) http://cfarma2.com/

As far as i know anyway...

AI Puts a lot of strain on the server..but on CTI maps they end up with a LOT of players (AI + real players) because each player can spawn their own personal AI plus theres AI resistance forces etc... So you're looking at hundreds of characters in a game at any one time.

they do, but the load isnt shared simultaneously on a single server. Neither is there pvp combat with 1000's of player's calculations going on at once. Arma has too many ballistic and physic calculations for any server to support them on such a scale.

Closest MMORPG to date to achieve that is EvE online, biggest battle I believe was about 1000 players simutaneously in battle in the same constellation (server node). IMHO, EvE online's server structure is the only way possible to have such epic PvP.

Judging from my online experience of ArmA 2 so far the 1000 v 1000 person battles would result in the chat box being full of people relentlessly moaning and complaining about how they are better pilots than the guy flying them about and followed closely by - 'let me fly plz' constantly being spammed.

It would be very epic if it could be done but who knows how far internet servers could come in a few years but even then getting the right people would be paramount as im sure it would be a tk'ers paradise!

hello!

thanks in advance

I think at the moment, none of the servers could take that, though it would be epic to have "invasion" of 1000 human players taking over chernarussia

If any person on this planet could create a FPS that had 1000 vs 1000

.... nuff said

World of Warcraft has serious lag issues when you have more than like 200 people in close proximity. Some people have their computer start lagging with a lot less than that, but no matter what computer you have when you go above 200 that are close enough together the server just can't handle it. And that's with a server people pay to play on, not something someone rented for his friends that you play on for free.

Plus, MMo's us a different system, hence why they limit the number of people in their battle grounds. I remember on World of Warcraft there was a news report about a bunch of angry gamers (they play WoW, do they need a reason to be angry), these gamers started as lvl 1 warrior gnomes and all rushed a major city at the same time. 100 of them in the same place crashed the server and booted everyone off.

There was a concept a while back and it was being worked on for several games but turned out to be too difficult to impliment in a non-mmo fashion (it was kinda semi implimented in planetside). The idea was to have a battlefield made up of 50 odd areas (1 per server) and moving to a certain area of the battlefield would load you onto the next map.

Unfortunately that sort of thing has to be heavily policed only allowing a certain number of people in each area at any one time, not to mention the network strain of actively updating 50 worlds at once.

The answer to your question is it’s very possible. At present with the right software. You can play 2500v2500. But you will not find this on a public server. To achieve this you would have to have a corp. connect. Like the one IBM are NASA would use. The software has just hit the market. And every 5000 person you would need 50 servers’ blades with two to four octa core xeon processors per blade. No public server farm won't spend that type of monies. They would have to charge very high rates to cover the expense. So yes it’s possible. Will someone spend that type of monies? We’ll have to see.

Edited by ScorpionGuard

Is the game even multi-threaded enough to actually use so many cores when the load is heavy? I've noticed that at least with running heavy AI, that only 1 core would get used 100% and the rest would be used normally. Feels like AI has only 1 thread running for it, but could be wrong. Heck, usually a heavy thread/process seem to be moved around the different cores when they're not at full load, and I hadn't noticed that happening in heavy-AI missions.

Utes is alot smaller then 6000 meters so im not really suprised that there isnt alot of difference between 3000 and 6000 meters. :p

Yeah lol dunno why I didn't think of that. But anyway, units don't get drawn out to anywhere near the view distance on either setting so it's not like it really matters. Either way, with low view distance my computer still has a much easier time with lots of AI on Utes than on Chernarus, so if you're going to stress-test your computer's ability to handle large amounts of AI you should test on the appropriate map ;)

1000+ PvP requires a FAT server in terms of internet connectivity. 1000 x synchonisation traffic........assume the traffic cost for renting such a server :D