Sign in to follow this  
p75

The need for Afghan mountains

Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?

• Yes, hell Yes
    • No, I'm happy with the European setting

Morals for a game? Come on, you wouldn't play it? You would play on the Eastern battlefield. Abit farfetched, mate. Lighten up abit!

Whoa...hold yer guns there tex....

Look mate its just my own opinion. If you dont like it, thats upto you. As I said, I wouldnt run around playing soldier in a setting where kids are going out there and coming back dead before their 20th birthday. I mean, what would you get out of running around a virtual Helmand? Job well done? A sence of being part of something? A kick out of killing the bad guys?

Chernarus isnt the Eastern Battlefield mate, its a made up place, (I know you know this), even so, if the setting was Chechnya for example, I'd think twice about it. What your basically asking though, is that a company make a product that they sell and make money out of based on a current war. Dosn't sound that bad does it? (Use your imgination). Who do you think BI is? Haliburton?

Fastest and cheapest way: community modder deletes all objects on Chernarus and releasing it as Desert-Chernarus, maybe changing ground textures too.

If BIS would do it, it would come most likely as an expansion which has to be paid.

If money is not an issue, buy VBS2, I guess everything inside is Iraq :D

I simply have to disagree. I never stated that they shouldn't have released Chernarus, but I'd like to have seen something more current and not the USSR vs US theory.

I dont get what you mean by the USSR vs US theory, thats just one possibility within the game, if you ask me not even a good one.. not at all.

I've been having a go at the editor and made a few 'situations' that might grow into missions, one is a Russian motorised infantry assault on several surrounding towns held by CDF infantry and armoured platoons.

Another is an airfield raid where a US squad jumps out, secures emplaced weapons in a village and storms an insurgemt held airfield, fun :) .

Theres alot more that you can do other than simply hunt taleban insurgents... but you can do something like that anyway, use armed civilians equiped with AKM's, PK's and RPG's, the diference being that the towns are not made of mud brick houses and the npc's dont look like Afghan insurgents, big deal? Or you can do a Chechnia inspired mission using Russian special forces supported by KA-52 or Mi-24 helicopters, etc.

My point is that the game allows for lots of combat situations to be designed and played, while if it was based on Afghanistan it would be extremely limited ;) .

Edited by Heatseeker

Whoa...hold yer guns there tex....

Look mate its just my own opinion. If you dont like it, thats upto you. As I said, I wouldnt run around playing soldier in a setting where kids are going out there and coming back dead before their 20th birthday. I mean, what would you get out of running around a virtual Helmand? Job well done? A sence of being part of something? A kick out of killing the bad guys?

Chernarus isnt the Eastern Battlefield mate, its a made up place, (I know you know this), even so, if the setting was Chechnya for example, I'd think twice about it. What your basically asking though, is that a company make a product that they sell and make money out of based on a current war. Dosn't sound that bad does it? (Use your imgination). Who do you think BI is? Haliburton?

Sorry, mate, I respect your opinion, but it is not reality, it is a game. I think the moral stick is a bit misplaced.

Sorry, mate, I respect your opinion, but it is not reality, it is a game. I think the moral stick is a bit misplaced.

I think your over reading too much into what Im saying. The game is not reality. The war in Afghanistan is. Its headline news today. Let the soldiers come home at least before we start to simulate them. Its hardly a moral stick, and Im certainly not trying to beat you with it. Its just a bt too close to the bone. At this moment. 6 months from now...who knows.

I think the whole setup in Europe BIS choose, shows no balls.

I disagree. I prefer to fight in my European backyard. Not talking of the nice cold war flavour and OFP reference, Yugoslavia and Georgia showed that Pro-Russia vs Pro-West was very plausible (with tanks, missiles and all), and it relates much more to me. It's also one of the few plausible ways to have the wealth of equipment we have now in game.

Desert was cheap to render and we had dozens of games about it in the past. Only now can we have lush vegetation and dense environment to play with. I'd say go for that first.

And, from Arma 1 experience, high mountains waste a lot of useful real estate on the map for mission making, due to unpractical high slopes. The hills in chernarus offer just the right amount of landscape. Not too much, no too little.

The only way for an Afghan-style map to be useful would be to be positively huge to compensate for lack of density and wasted/unusable real estate. Then, it would only make sense for motorized and air units.

+1 for Afghan

You could make it more realistic by having lots of innocent women and children to kill as well.

Maybe when they convert propperly, but it is not great in the first place.

I have to totally disagree. IMO, the Avgani city map is one of the best urban combat environments ever produced for ArmA(1 or 2) ...and it just so happens to be middle-eastern. It has ample surrounding landscape for a number of confrontation options.

The Afgan Village map can also be quite challenging to play on. Again, ample surrounding terrain to work with. My squad had a WACO mission (vs insurgants) on this map in A1 that was frightening to play.

To each his own....

I'll agree that it needs to be properly converted. But it's totally playable in it's latest form. A few tweeks to get it running. I have one meaningless texture error at launch. No errors running it:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hx-urYmtk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hx-urYmtk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Go look at Armaholic.com downloads page. There are five pages of islands for ArmA1 (even some desolate Afgan mountains). We'll see that and more for ArmA2 soon enough. Give it time.

I love the implication that the objective of game design is to 'show balls'.

Those are mid nighties conflicts. Nothing really current is it? As to Georgia, that is some small terrorist work (shoot a guard or police men or two). In my view a placement in an Afghanistan like setting would have made much more sense. And if you think how VBS 2 is promoted you may think they would have the brain to do the same for ARMA 2. Different target group? Too realistic?

You do realize over 90% of our military hardware is 20-30 years old, right? The only things that really don't fit are the UAVs, the F-35, and a handful of guns like the XM.

EDIT: This poll amazes me. I'm honestly surprised people want to go back to fighting in a brown desert wearing brown camo with brown vehicles fighting inside brown buildings full of brown people, all decorated in shades of brown.

Wow.

Edited by Uranium-235

Definitely not the USSR. The Russian Federation as it is now, is a completely different country than the old Soviet Union. A country that had to smuggle Beatles and Rolling Stones records in under a state sponsored black market now has 3 McDonalds just off Red Square.

Also, I don't think its a case of politcal correctness, (gone mad or otherwise) that prevents doing a war sim in Afghanistan. I wouldn't play it for one. For me it would be the ultimate in disrespect to run around playing soldier in a real world setting where alot of our lads are coming home with a brand new flag for their families. Thats just me though.

As to the playability of an Afghan mountian setting. Maybe. If a story could be devloped that would give the OPFOR APC's, tanks and aircraft. Mayeb bring the Russi...no...wait. Landscape would probably be OK, lots of places for ambushes and IED's. I have to wonder though would you want to be able to pursue into Pakistan? Now theres a can of worms to simulate in a game. One foot over the border: ENDMISSION. Get a bit boring sitting there flying drones in to all day perhaps.

Totally agree, plus it would only fuel more of what the real army refer to as "waltism" http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Waltism

Its not PC (politically correct) enough to base military sims/shooters off of the new, real enemies of the Western World, but its safe to stick to the old USSR/Russian enemy model instead.

As if. The campaign and setting is largely inspired by a war that took place a year ago.

Don't use it then.

Since this thread is in the suggestions thread I'm assuming this is a suggestion for BI to develop official content for an Afghanistan setting. I am 100% opposed to this.

I think this thread became a fight of personal flavours.

which is obviously retarded since everyone has a different oppinion..

I think this thread became a fight of personal flavours.

which is obviously retarded since everyone has a different oppinion..

Then that would make this whole thread/poll retarded, since why else would it have been created?

You are completely right and correct.

Though its not very intelligent to refuse a opportunity if it knocks at your door.

I understand you don't like Afghanistan or maybe you think its boring, you have the right to think what ever you want, also vote what you want, thats why there is options in the pool.

Believe what you want but OFP/ARMA1/ARMA2 is all about variety in search of pleasure.

Knowing Afghanistan is the current days war theme i hope someone creates more and more of this theme.

The whole idea of asking BIS for additional content at this point really makes no sense anyway. Aside from that, IMO they would never touch real-world conflicts. Fictional conflicts are "safer".

Damn your right again. Better not use real-world conflicts else someone will call their lawyer and use legal rights "again".

Anyway, what was asked here will be modded by the Community for ArmA2.

Damn your right again. Better not use real-world conflicts else someone will call their lawyer and use legal rights "again".

Dont tell me the Afghan War is copyrighted!

Ok, i won't.

I don't want to convince you of anything but the Terrorist might believe it. :j:

It's not about copyrights, but about being politically correct. If you start making a game about the Afgan conflict using the actual location and parties involved, you put yourself at risk of being criticized for portraying these people in a "bad way". I mean you can use fake names and still make it obvious what you're trying to portray, but using real names/locations is always risky. I think BIS would rather be safe than sorry. Besides, I enjoy fictional conflicts more than real ones. Real ones are boring...

It's not about copyrights, but about being politically correct. If you start making a game about the Afgan conflict using the actual location and parties involved, you put yourself at risk of being criticized for portraying these people in a "bad way". I mean you can use fake names and still make it obvious what you're trying to portray, but using real names/locations is always risky. I think BIS would rather be safe than sorry. Besides, I enjoy fictional conflicts more than real ones. Real ones are boring...

Depends how you look on it? Activision pulls it off with Modern Combat 1 and 2. Although not concretely called Afghanistan/Iraq, the setting is just that. And we all know how well Modern Combat sold. Marketing wise publicity is publicity. No one is falling over Modern Combat, are they? Anyhow, it is just a poll to see what the consumer wants. Please keep that in mind when replying.

Grtz

Can't wait until we get our hands on some good desert maps and decent addons/mods such as "ACE" to get this game to where I want to play it.