Sign in to follow this  
p75

The need for Afghan mountains

Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?

• Yes, hell Yes
    • No, I'm happy with the European setting

I think I'm not alone when I say that every player likes to simulate what is happening in Afghanistan. Plainly said: gunning down insurgents. I think the whole setup in Europe BIS choose, shows no balls. The whole USSR versus Blue Force is not really applicable anymore.

I hope either BIS makes a perfect Afghan mountain setting with a realistic environment or the community creates one. But I think BIS missed a great oppurtunity here.

Edited by p75

Meanwhile you can easy use some nice addons (afghan_village and avgani, if i remember well).

The links and instructions to use them are posted in the forum.

They are working fine.

Cheers

BI probably missed the European theater as much as most of players and were alittle bit tired of mud architecture.

Meanwhile you can easy use some nice addons (afghan_village and avgani, if i remember well).

The links and instructions to use them are posted in the forum.

They are working fine.

Cheers

They are not fully working in Arma 2 (missing textures), besides being a Bitch to set up, maybe when propperly converted. But to be honest, I'm not too impressed by those. I'm talking about an Afghan moutain area, realistically modelled. I really think they missed out on an oppurtunity here.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

BI probably missed the European theater as much as most of players and were alittle bit tired of mud architecture.

Lol, I'm being fed up of the monotome woods and russians (we are not living in the eighties anymore!)

Its not PC (politically correct) enough to base military sims/shooters off of the new, real enemies of the Western World, but its safe to stick to the old USSR/Russian enemy model instead.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

Old game that does this is Call of Duty 4 and the new one CoD 6

Its not PC (politically correct) enough to base military sims/shooters off of the new, real enemies of the Western World, but its safe to stick to the old USSR/Russian enemy model instead.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

Old game that does this is Call of Duty 4 and the new one CoD 6

Yeah, but why does BIS add the modern weaponary then? It is like sticking your head in the sand. You can give it a fictivious (don't know if that is spelled right?) name as long as it represents something more current and realistic. Why do you think COD:Modern Warfare is soo popular? Was BIS sleeping? Or can we expect an addon? Which from a marketing perpective would make sense.

Edited by p75

Are you joking? Do you really think there aren't conflicts in these regions? It makes sense for BIS to place the game here because they know the landscape well as it's part of their country! Here are two recent conflicts from that region (and the Georgia one is quite similar to the storyline of ArmA 2 as well) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008-2009_Georgia–Russia_crisis#War and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechnya#First_Chechen_War

Are you joking? Do you really think there aren't conflicts in these regions? It makes sense for BIS to place the game here because they know the landscape well as it's part of their country! Here are two recent conflicts from that region (and the Georgia one is quite similar to the storyline of ArmA 2 as well) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008-2009_Georgia–Russia_crisis#War and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechnya#First_Chechen_War

Those are mid nighties conflicts. Nothing really current is it? As to Georgia, that is some small terrorist work (shoot a guard or police men or two). In my view a placement in an Afghanistan like setting would have made much more sense. And if you think how VBS 2 is promoted you may think they would have the brain to do the same for ARMA 2. Different target group? Too realistic?

Edited by p75

Don't worry guys, there will be new desert maps, we need a bit of *everything* in A2: jungles, euro, desert... :)

i have to agree with p75 on this one, im really sick of the cold war scenario on most games, why does Russia always have to be ended up as bad and the American's as victor's. Sometimes this piss's me off realising how ignorant most developers are when it comes to choosing the origin of enemies over and over. For example why don't we ever see any games potraying the Germans in WW2 against the Allies? i would like to see a game where you could for once play as a German and fight against Russians,Americans and Brits. The american scene is too overplayed..

Im not trying to offend anyone here, but if you think about it alot of games are more potrayed at the American Gaming Market and alot of FPS/Military Games include a campaign where it involves playing as a American, so this steams that most games out there are still being too Americanized in my opinion, i would like to see more games having a realistic approach like fighting the Taliban,Chechen Terroists, Muhajadeen or Al Qaeda, not the Chinese Army and not the Russian Army either, and for once play as a different faction,and it does'nt have to be Russian!! but it would make it interesting to play games where the scenario and campaign focuses on a different side/faction/country than America.

Also just a note but when in when has one Russian Developer released an anti-american game? none zip zlich..none, look at the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, they include Russians there as Bad and Good Guys!!, look at cryotasis.

I was also got sick of hearing playing on public servers back in ArmA 1 and on Teamspeak where people would mistake SLA for Russians and use the term Russians

whenever we did a coop map.

I can mention a few games that take the American Vs Russian approach

World in Conflict,ArmA 2, and COD4 ( Based on a Civil War something though )..

When and when will developers start to realise that the scenario has been way overplayed.

Anyhow i would love to see a desert mod approach for this, map like Avgani was awesome on ArmA 1.. not sure if it works on ArmA 2. Would love to see a desert conversion for all the factions too! and the terroists added<

i have to agree with p75 on this one, im really sick of the cold war scenario on most games, why does Russia always have to be ended up as bad and the American's as victor's. Sometimes this piss's me off realising how ignorant most developers are when it comes to choosing the origin of enemies over and over. For example why don't we ever see any games potraying the Germans in WW2 against the Allies? i would like to see a game where you could for once play as a German and fight against Russians,Americans and Brits. The american scene is too overplayed..

Im not trying to offend anyone here, but if you think about it alot of games are more potrayed at the American Gaming Market and alot of FPS/Military Games include a campaign where it involves playing as a American, so this steams that most games out there are still being too Americanized in my opinion, i would like to see more games having a realistic approach like fighting the Taliban,Chechen Terroists, Muhajadeen or Al Qaeda, not the Chinese Army and not the Russian Army either, and for once play as a different faction,and it does'nt have to be Russian!! but it would make it interesting to play games where the scenario and campaign focuses on a different side/faction/country than America.

Also just a note but when in when has one Russian Developer released an anti-american game? none zip zlich..none, look at the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, they include Russians there as Bad and Good Guys!!, look at cryotasis.

I was also got sick of hearing playing on public servers back in ArmA 1 and on Teamspeak where people would mistake SLA for Russians and use the term Russians

whenever we did a coop map.

I can mention a few games that take the American Vs Russian approach

World in Conflict,ArmA 2, and COD4 ( Based on a Civil War something though )..

When and when will developers start to realise that the scenario has been way overplayed.

Anyhow i would love to see a desert mod approach for this, map like Avgani was awesome on ArmA 1.. not sure if it works on ArmA 2. Would love to see a desert conversion for all the factions too! and the terroists added<

The makers of Red Orchestra (look it up if you haven't played it, it's dirt cheap and frankly amazing) are doing just that. Single player campaign as a German grunt in stalingrad.

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/

Single player campaign as a German grunt in stalingrad.

Holy sh*t! Finally!

I think I'm not alone when I say that every player likes to simulate what is happening in Afghanistan. Plainly said: gunning down insurgents. I think the whole setup in Europe BIS choose, shows no balls. The whole USSR versus Blue Force is not really applicable anymore.

I hope either BIS makes a perfect Afghan mountain setting with a realistic environment or the community creates one. But I think BIS missed a great oppurtunity here.

You are alone. If you need mountains without vegetation simply invest 18 months time to become an excellent island maker. Simple as that. The new island that came with ArmA 2 is the only thing I am 100% happy with, finally some dense vegetation. I was so bored by all those desert-like islands.

The story of ArmA 2 does not need a desert environment, hence pester some island makers or do it yourself.

Simpliest approach: shave Tschernarus so that all vegetation is gone and change all ground textures to desert-like and you get the most boring island in universe.

Edited by S!fkaIaC

You are alone. If you need mountains without vegetation simply invest 18 months time to become an excellent island maker. Simple as that. The new island that came with ArmA 2 is the only thing I am 100% happy with, finally some dense vegetation. I was so bored by all those desert-like islands.

The story of ArmA 2 does not need a desert environment, hence pester some island makers or do it yourself.

Simpliest approach: shave Tschernarus so that all vegetation is gone and change all ground textures to desert-like and you get the most boring island in universe.

while the dense european vegetational island is very nice, others like myself would like to see a desert island, also personally would love to see an island based on snow with units with snow camo etc

also personally would love to see an island based on snow with units with snow camo etc

me too, so start making it.

Poll states differently!

Well, to be fair, this is not about the nationality setup but rather the terrain setup. But I agree though about US vs Russia thing. actually I'm tired of playing as US. Cant wait for stalkerGB british infantry...

As for the terrain setup, I really like chernarus, the european setup. Cant remember the last time I played games set-up in lushed green pastures. Maybe OGR, GRAW still kinda have that desert look...

I suppose it wouldn't be much of an expansion pack in terms of content, would it?

Any proposals for new units in Afghanistan? Why bother, the default game already has AKMs and PKMs, as well as a pickup truck...all you need is the map. Not exactly an inspiring expansion pack.

I'd prefer to stick to Europe, with the diversity it can bring. EU Forces would be a worthwhile expansion, considering that you'd most likely receive the Eurofighter, Challenger/Leopard and the SA80/FAMAS/G3, to name a few items.

I think I'm not alone when I say that every player likes to simulate what is happening in Afghanistan. Plainly said: gunning down insurgents.

EVERY player?

Really?

:rolleyes:

Wheres the poll option for "Sure, it'd be nice, but I'm not going to post a worthless poll and whine about it, because I know that there'll be plenty of user made islands for every scenario soon enough" ???

( I think that would get the most votes )

Why is the terrorist always have to be portrayed as the "bad guy"? I object to that!

I think a much better conflict would be india vs pakistan. There's no tension between those two so they won't mind if BI capitalises on that I reckon.

Or how about mexico vs canada? They're fairly equal and they can fight over that big space in between! It has both forrests and deserts and plenty of abandoned homes. Perfect!

There should be a third option. Something like "I really like the temperate climate area but I'd also like a desert map just for the sake of diversity." Also right now there isn't much use of a desert map since there aren't any desert units.

Community Modders will for sure bring impressing stuff in the future for Arma2.

Wait until the map-making tools are released for Arma2 so the modders can use the full potential of the engine.

Why should BIS make "Afghan mountains" instead of working on perfomance issues and fix all bugs?

I'm for cold winter terrains + vehicles + sounds. Imho that would make a real point: The Great Battles of Chernarus - during autumn and winter 2009/2010.