Sign in to follow this  
p75

The need for Afghan mountains

Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?

• Yes, hell Yes
    • No, I'm happy with the European setting

the closest to aeroplanes was captured Russian Mi24s i know there choppers but still,and due to there lack of technological skill they all basically broke down and rusted away somewhere in Afganistan :p

Edited by Placebo
typos

§12) Do not type in all capital letters, all bold, or in a non-black font

Typing in all caps equates (according to standard net etiquette) to yelling. It is also difficult and obnoxious to read such posts. This also applies to posting all in bold or all in a certain font colour just to try to make your words stand out, if your point is interesting enough or well written enough it will stand out. You're welcome of course to use different colours for parts of your post if it helps clarify certain areas, but typing complete messages in any colour other than black should be avoided.

Second time in two days...

the closest to aeroplanes was captured Russian Mi24s i know there choppers but still,and due to there lack of technological skill they all basically broke down and rusted away somewhere in Afganistan :p

Black text only please.

Of course people want BIS to release an afghan expansion because people always want more. If the question was whether we wanted either an east european or an afghan theather I'm quite sure the majority would prefer the east european option. Please realize that making an afghan expansion means a lot of work for BIS. I'm quite sure it equals the amount of work companies like EA puts in their yearly game releases. Any expansion like this would cost at least €30.

I'd prefer BIS to continue working on ArmA2 and if they would release an expansion I'd prefer it to be something like Resistance was for OFP.

I'd prefer BIS to continue working on ArmA2 and if they would release an expansion I'd prefer it to be something like Resistance was for OFP.

Indeed, Resistance was so good. However it'd probably be hard for them to make another expansion that lives up to goodness of Resistance.

Why does this thread keep getting bumped without any new posts?

Polls tend to float to the top on these forums. They are bumped when people vote (they don't have to get additional posts).

Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?

Totally but would rather let the community work on it. Not saying BIS would do a bad job at at, but this game and its community have always been the driving force. And we've had some great new outside the box stuff come out of the community. And thats what I always looks for.

Yeah let the community sort it out.

And Mr. Ahmedjbh, don't worry about it too much - I am sure only a few of the guys around here are mercenary scumbags. The rest of us are nice guys. Really.

Replaces the CDF? Because that just makes so much sense. :P

It appears as those who want the afghanistan territroy type got their wish.

Are they really going to keep the 'always overcast with drab lighting' for Takistan?

The real virtuality engine adjusts the light and stars and other stuff according to the latitude and longitudinal coordinates of the island. Whether or not the palette or post processing will seem drab is sort of a matter of artistic direction.

I would LOVE to see a map based on Afghanistan. It wouldn't just be desert. In fact, Afghanistan has some of the more interesting terrain on earth. There are jagged mountains, desert, farm land, etc. It would really add somethig to an ArmA game.

Personally, I'm happy with the European setting. I'm glad Arrowhead will be adding a Middle Eastern feel, and will allow players to utilize both. Much appreciated BIS, and it's a very good move.

I couldn't agree more. I love the Chernarus map, but I sure wouldn't mind some variation. My only problem with Chernarus, which I hope can't be repeated for OA, is its tree design. In almost every wooden area of Chernarus, you can't really pick a route where not almost every single tree have branches all the way down to ground level - even conifers. Although there could be plenty of shrubs in certain areas, I find it very hard to find a good approach avenue in Chernarus due to the lower branches of trees constantly blocking my view (and usually not the AIs view).

Although I would like the setting to have massive mountainous areas, they should at the same time be possible to fight in. Operation Anaconda anyone? :) Not 'mountains' like in Arma1. And not so steep that AI would get into nothing but trouble near them (especially flying AIs).

The terrain, especially if relatively low on vegetation (compared to Chernarus), must have plenty of micro detail and rigdelines that can serve as cover. Mortars makes so much more sense in such an area :)

I can only hope that OA's city map will have the same kind of details as the one featured in the movie above. Holy crap that was some nice shit going on. Plenty of MOUT possibilities, which Chernarus really isn't very suitable for.

And personally, I couldn't care less about who I'm fighting, as long as they shoot back.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I can only hope that OA's city map will have the same kind of details as the one featured in the movie above. Holy crap that was some nice shit going on. Plenty of MOUT possibilities, which Chernarus really isn't very suitable for.

What movie? I think I'm having a moment of blindness.

Personally I think the Chernarus scenario is very realistic, I remember first reading about it a while back - and thinking 'wow this sounds so similar to the Russian invasion of North Ossetia, its not even funny'.

I think many game-makers have avoided the current 'sandbox' wars for three reasons:

*It's not really politically correct - many people believe 'the west' should not be fighting the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. Some will argue that making a commercial game out of these wars is just another manifestation of the 'western imperialism' that led us to invade the sandbox in the first place.

*Its complicated: Imagine having to reproduce the warring factions of the Iraqi civil war of 200-07. There were (and still are) literally dozens of warring factions, and nothing is what it seems. Same for Afghanistan. There's three different tiers in the Taliban, AQ, villagers who will be your friend one day, but then get paid to attack you... etc.

*And imagine implementing COIN-strategy in a game. How are you suposed to run a counter-insurgency operation in Afghanistan in a game like ArmA II? Imagine having to run shura's with tribal elders in-game as a means of getting ahead in the game...

Also, what is the outcome of both the Afghanistan and Iraq wars? How are you suposed to represent that.

*The bluefor and opfor would be completely different. One is a modern, tech-reliant, mechanized military, the other a hit-and-run guerilla army, with no armour, air support, but focused on using non-conventional strategies and tactics. Not exactly balanced.

Having said that, I personally would LOVE to have an Afghanistan or Afghan-like expansion to ArmA II. The terrain of Afghanistan, especially the south, would lend itself very well to the game engine and mission editor. Its incredibly varied terrain, but importantly there is alot of open space, dense urban ops is just not an option in this game. I imagine BIS wisely chose to create 'Takistan' to represent the war in Paki-Afghanistan, allowing it to create simpler scenario, that will still represent current conflicts.

I'm suprised no one is working on Helmand (or did I miss it?) province, cool data exists from there, heightmaps and photos.