Sign in to follow this  
p75

The need for Afghan mountains

Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?

• Yes, hell Yes
    • No, I'm happy with the European setting

Who is talking about a desert? I'm talking about a Afghan mountain with a green zone. Don't you all watch our soldiers fight?

????????? You guess all the world must adapt to your needs because your crappy soldiers fighting in a country where every army is getting lost.

Aside from being a very bland (read not flat but unexciting and barren) wasteland afghanistan would also fall short of providing a good game play. Make a bunch of vehicles for NATO war machine and what for the mujahideen? A donkey, a technical at best? ArmA is a tactical WAR simulator. Afghanistan is a super-massive COUNTER-INSURGENCY operation. Just because Taliban are very spread out and can hide in the mountains that hardly makes them a worthy enemy. Afghanistan in ArmA = patrol and convoy simulation (with a random ambush which usually ends with a massive airstrike killing everybody).

Cold War all the way!

I think you could cover this by enhanced AI for an element of surprise, IEDs and such (give them some edge). As to the terrain, watch some footage of Urzugan and you'll see it is not just a flat bar land. It is however a different game as you said. But frankly I'm tired of the old Russia versus Nato story line.

I must say that it would lend itself more for the editor than campaign mode. Still, it would be a fresh wind and will attract of people as it is more current.

I don't think a game campaign playing as a German soldier in WWII would be good, since they represented a government that was sending millions of civilians to their deaths simply for being different.

I'd love to see an afghan map. However I don't want BIS to make it. Let fans produce create content completely unrelated to the original scope of the game, and let the devs focus on more important stuff.

Afghan Village for ArmA was awesome, and I'm sure it'll get ported to ArmA2. Also another person made some larger Afghan map of a more mountainous area, and if we are lucky it'll be be released for ArmA2 once a new version of Visitor is released.

SoulAssassin

Make a bunch of vehicles for NATO war machine and what for the mujahideen? A donkey...

AHAhahAHAHAHAhaha!!! :D

Made my day man. And very true. :)

EDIT: However as an addon island - hell yes.

Alex

I have tried Razani (Thanks Horror1)

It's really wonderful:the best addon Afghanistan related.

It's esay to install (you must have some Arma 1 addons) and is bugs free.

Give it a try.

Cheers

I don't think a game campaign playing as a German soldier in WWII would be good, since they represented a government that was sending millions of civilians to their deaths simply for being different.

I've read that the red orchestra 2 team will be very sensitive to that fact, when making the German campaign.

I have tried Razani (Thanks Horror1)

It's really wonderful:the best addon Afghanistan related.

It's esay to install (you must have some Arma 1 addons) and is bugs free.

Give it a try.

Cheers

You managed to convert it properly to Arma 2?

I think I'm not alone when I say that every player likes to simulate what is happening in Afghanistan. Plainly said: gunning down insurgents. I think the whole setup in Europe BIS choose, shows no balls. The whole USSR versus Blue Force is not really applicable anymore.

I hope either BIS makes a perfect Afghan mountain setting with a realistic environment or the community creates one. But I think BIS missed a great oppurtunity here.

Pfft, what the hell would we know about the next realistic battleground setting? Nothing to do with balls but the ArmA1 setting simply wasnt as popular as the traditional one from OFP. Besides, if you want to play without enemy planes and tanks.. fine. For more realism then also add a soundmod that makes the soldiers shout "hell yeah" ever third bullet they fire.

Pfft, what the hell would we know about the next realistic battleground setting? Nothing to do with balls but the ArmA1 setting simply wasnt as popular as the traditional one from OFP. Besides, if you want to play without enemy planes and tanks.. fine. For more realism then also add a soundmod that makes the soldiers shout "hell yeah" ever third bullet they fire.

The next realistic .....(where do you read that?). Maybe your language skills are not all that well developed? Did you read it? I'm talking about more current. Please think before commenting.

This thread was dead before the 1st answer was posted. Basically you're all discussing about PERSONAL TASTE and as we all (should) know, EVERYBODY HAS ONE.

Plz close this.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

)rStrangelove;1381977']This thread was dead before the 1st answer was posted. Basically you're all discussing about PERSONAL TASTE and as we all (should) know' date=' EVERYBODY HAS ONE.

Plz close this.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Grow up, the poll states differently.

The next realistic .....(where do you read that?). Maybe your language skills are not all that well developed? Did you read it? I'm talking about more current. Please think before commenting.
The whole USSR versus Blue Force is not really applicable anymore.

that was your thesis.. I came forward with my counter-thesis. My english language skills may indeed not be well developed. I am sorry for having concentrated on my french and spanish during the last years. Oh well

Yeah, but why does BIS add the modern weaponary then? It is like sticking your head in the sand. You can give it a fictivious (don't know if that is spelled right?) name as long as it represents something more current and realistic. Why do you think COD:Modern Warfare is soo popular? Was BIS sleeping? Or can we expect an addon? Which from a marketing perpective would make sense.

CoD:MW was popular because it was CoD, simple as that.

Names sell, the game itself sucked ass imho.

CoD:MW was popular because it was CoD, simple as that.

Names sell, the game itself sucked ass imho.

That is not totally true COD 3 sucked ass and didn't sell that well. People were tired of the "old" settings.

In ArmA 1 we have Sahrani serving both needs somehow. North for the vegetation fans, South for the desert fans. But it was IN LINE with the story.

The ArmA 2 island is also in line with the ArmA 2 story.

Really, try to address this to the modders, I am sure they will release desert islands with "large" sharp rising mountains anyway. Trust Opterix.

I dont know why everyone sees Arma II as another cold war/US vs Russia game, perhaps theres a huge lack of imagination and creativity out there? I for one apretiate the oportunity to make and play scenarios where you can face insurgents as part of the US and Russia.

Lets face it, the US military in this game is an excuse to put M16's in it more than anything else, the game would actually make (more) sense without the US, and played from a Russian or insurgent perspective.

Want Afghanistan? Think the current setting is a wasted oportunity? Think again!

Think about all the stuff the game wouldnt have had it gone that route.

Mi-24, KA-52, BMP-3, BTR-90, AK-107, SU-25?

I certainly wouldnt trade the best kit in this game for a donkey, an offroad truck and IED's and i've grown tired of saving the world with M16's all the time..

Chernarus is far more suitable than Afghanistan or any real life conflict area.

I dont know why everyone sees Arma II as another cold war/US vs Russia game, perhaps theres a huge lack of imagination and creativity out there? I for one apretiate the oportunity to make and play scenarios where you can face insurgents as part of the US and Russia.

Lets face it, the US military in this game is an excuse to put M16's in it more than anything else, the game would actually make (more) sense without the US, and played from a Russian or insurgent perspective.

Want Afghanistan? Think the current setting is a wasted oportunity? Think again!

Think about all the stuff the game wouldnt have had it gone that route.

Mi-24, KA-52, BMP-3, BTR-90, AK-107, SU-25?

I certainly wouldnt trade the best kit in this game for a donkey, an offroad truck and IED's and i've grown tired of saving the world with M16's all the time..

Chernarus is far more suitable than Afghanistan or any real life conflict area.

I simply have to disagree. I never stated that they shouldn't have released Chernarus, but I'd like to have seen something more current and not the USSR vs US theory.

I simply have to disagree. I never stated that they shouldn't have released Chernarus, but I'd like to have seen something more current and not the USSR vs US theory.

I do not know how educated you are and how you follow the actual political situation, but thanks to Putin and Bush the actual ArmA 2 story is very actual. See the conflict in Georgia/Ossetia if you know where it is. It is RUS vs US, but still the same old men power games. Imagine US and or NATO would have made any move to support the Georgian forces.........

USSR? :D But is ArmA 2 realy a USA vs. Russia game? Is the full open war with the russia in the game? I dont think so, maybe the problem is what people think what it mean.

OFP was USA vs. Dentist Guba (not russia, only Guba and his companion)

ArmA was Racs & USA vs SLA (The weapon and equipement was from the former eastern bloc, but the wasnt russians)

So if you take it, ArmA II is the first BI game where russia is as russia.

And what is curent? Fighting teorist, eh, dont like that scenario, the holy USA vs. the super evil terorist, oh no, no more of this. Who is terorist and who is a freedom fighter?

Maybe it would be better if there wasnt USA in the campaign, it would be maybe more interesting, but thats only matter of the campaign, and even if the campaign is good, it is only a tinny bit of the game, and left out the USA or russia, wich are 2 big country with advanced military equipement would be very limiting for the rest of the game and addon moding.

Remember that A1/A2 are sandbox games. Anyone can work couple of months and produce an island with totally new scenario or create a mission/campaign where you have to deal with terrorists, crazy scientists, aliens, drugdealers, evil warlords etc.

So stop whining and make your dreams come true and show us your work :)

Definitely not the USSR. The Russian Federation as it is now, is a completely different country than the old Soviet Union. A country that had to smuggle Beatles and Rolling Stones records in under a state sponsored black market now has 3 McDonalds just off Red Square.

Also, I don't think its a case of politcal correctness, (gone mad or otherwise) that prevents doing a war sim in Afghanistan. I wouldn't play it for one. For me it would be the ultimate in disrespect to run around playing soldier in a real world setting where alot of our lads are coming home with a brand new flag for their families. Thats just me though.

As to the playability of an Afghan mountian setting. Maybe. If a story could be devloped that would give the OPFOR APC's, tanks and aircraft. Mayeb bring the Russi...no...wait. Landscape would probably be OK, lots of places for ambushes and IED's. I have to wonder though would you want to be able to pursue into Pakistan? Now theres a can of worms to simulate in a game. One foot over the border: ENDMISSION. Get a bit boring sitting there flying drones in to all day perhaps.

Definitely not the USSR. The Russian Federation as it is now, is a completely different country than the old Soviet Union. A country that had to smuggle Beatles and Rolling Stones records in under a state sponsored black market now has 3 McDonalds just off Red Square.

Also, I don't think its a case of politcal correctness, (gone mad or otherwise) that prevents doing a war sim in Afghanistan. I wouldn't play it for one. For me it would be the ultimate in disrespect to run around playing soldier in a real world setting where alot of our lads are coming home with a brand new flag for their families. Thats just me though.

As to the playability of an Afghan mountian setting. Maybe. If a story could be devloped that would give the OPFOR APC's, tanks and aircraft. Mayeb bring the Russi...no...wait. Landscape would probably be OK, lots of places for ambushes and IED's. I have to wonder though would you want to be able to pursue into Pakistan? Now theres a can of worms to simulate in a game. One foot over the border: ENDMISSION. Get a bit boring sitting there flying drones in to all day perhaps.

Morals for a game? Come on, you wouldn't play it? You would play on the Eastern battlefield, but refuse an Afghan setting. The game now reminds of Yougoslavia. It doesn't prevent me from playing it. Abit farfetched, not, mate? Lighten up abit!