Sign in to follow this  
p75

The need for Afghan mountains

Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a realistic Afghanistan setting added to Arma 2?

• Yes, hell Yes
    • No, I'm happy with the European setting

I'd rather see some kuwaiti/iraqi maps, featureless desert terrain with small settlements and a modern highway system, it would be a great place for combined arms warfare. the expansive terrain would do great justice to the workhorses like the c130, and the V-22 (which really has no place in combat). urban sieges would be common and preceded by artillery barrages (the massive scale of any desert terrain would finally put the MLRS to good use) and aircraft could finally operate in areas large enough to suit them. not to mention the lovely tank battles that would ensue.

I to would like Afghanistan scenario. Currently feels like I am fighting in Switzerland.

I was gutted to see COD6 is the same made up Russian/Terrorist scenario. COD4 middle east maps were poor i.e. small and just town fighting. Couple of good maps in Project Reality. Can't remeber name of one but it was small with mud ditches for cover. Great fun as Brit.

Afghanistan green zone has plenty of vegetation and wadis for cover.

Roll on a good mod.

Console kids are poisoned by Afghanistan and Iraq war.

Utes is desert nuff.

omg desert maps will be so crap , can you imagine all the snipers just picking off the enemy as they try to run over the sand dunes towards the small village that you posted at, i for one would be a sniper just racking up my score with bear kills, pure head shots all the way and the incoming enemy wouldn't have a chance. :p

omg desert maps will be so crap , can you imagine all the snipers just picking off the enemy as they try to run over the sand dunes towards the small village that you posted at, i for one would be a sniper just racking up my score with bear kills, pure head shots all the way and the incoming enemy wouldn't have a chance. :p

I don't think you've watched enough Afghanistan material.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Console kids are poisoned by Afghanistan and Iraq war.

Utes is desert nuff.

Your ignorance suites your intelligence. Please behave!

What so cool on desert? It is a very bad terrain for conceilement and cover, almost nothing, infantry would be targets for a sniper if they dont have an APC or other transport, also tanks and other armor would not have the posibility to hide. Attack on a village without support of other vehicles would be an end for the attackers, because in the desert there is almost nowhere to hide...

I would be for some winter terrain, winter chernaurs would be nice.;)

You know Afghanistan is not a sand desert ...

I'm also bored with this endless US vs RU war.

I would like to see much more nato stuff from France, UK, Germany and Italy which are by far before all EU countries in term of military budget and are all engaged in Afghanistan.

Seems that Cold War is not the past in Czech Republic, dunno why they added ugly/aborted xm8 and not Famas G2 or L85A2 ?

Edited by dunedain

Who is talking about a desert? I'm talking about a Afghan mountain with a green zone. Don't you all watch our soldiers fight?

I know that afghjanistan is not a sand desert, but desert is not only sand, I watch enough of photos and videos of 601. skss in loghar (afgahn). I know that there are mountain and the terrain isnt flat.

Sorry, for my post before I little havnt fully comprend what you meaned, So. Afghan would be maybe nice to have, but preferably, I would like something with snow, beccause hovever even if afghan is not completly desert, it has that feeling, also i hate the USA vs. terorist (insurgent, freedom fighter etc) them.

I know that afghjanistan is not a sand desert, but desert is not only sand, I watch enough of photos and videos of 601. skss in loghar (afgahn). I know that there are mountain and the terrain isnt flat.

Sorry, for my post before I little havnt fully comprend what you meaned, So. Afghan would be maybe nice to have, but preferably, I would like something with snow, beccause hovever even if afghan is not completly desert, it has that feeling, also i hate the USA vs. terorist (insurgent, freedom fighter etc) them.

I agree on the snow part. It would also provide a nice variant. It gets winter in Afghanistan :D

You know Afghanistan is not a sand desert ...

I'm also bored with this endless US vs RU war.

I would like to see much more nato stuff from France, UK, Germany and Italy which are by far before all EU countries in term of military budget and are all engaged in Afghanistan.

Seems that Cold War is not the past in Czech Republic, dunno why they added G36 and ugly/aborted xm8 ?

40 years under iron curtain and a invasion in 1968 do the job. But have the cold war realy ended? Maybe for the west world, but when the US wanted to build the radar in CZ, one Rus general stated, they would maybe target theyre balistic rockets to czech republic, also there are many reports of russian spies in there.

p75: You realy like afghan is see :D But afghan in snow, that doesnt sound realy bad.:cool:

It would be cool to have some afghan areas, but arma 1 sucked, lets be honest.

The desert was not good.

Arma II, to me, feels much better and brings back the vibe of flashpoint, it is a true successor and I am very glad I have it :)

The mods coming out are great, what I would really like is for BI to bundle up the best mods/skins/conversions and send them out as updates similar to what TF2 is doing with best user created maps.

Look at what CS did to half life sales for instance, I think ARMA could move a lot of copies in the future if the publisher really gets behind user created content.

Ofc I want an Afghan Map that runs as a stand alone addon.

I want as many cool Battle Fields and Toys as I can get my hands on.

I would like to see BIS working hard on the next patch and releasing the latest tools and let the Community make / convert the maps and Addons. I think we are waiting for the release of Visitor 4 before you will see lots of new Islands.

Jimbo762.au: try out my Panthera for some rock climbing (Mt. Triglav for example). Too bad AI in A1/A2 can't handle these mountains and they constantly crash their choppers and planes trying to manouver around 'em.

Edited by IceBreakr

Meanwhile you can easy use some nice addons (afghan_village and avgani, if i remember well).

The links and instructions to use them are posted in the forum.

They are working fine.

Cheers

Also some people dont even own ARMA1, so ye..

What Dideco stated is not right. It is not an easy install, its missing textures etc. It is a poor alternative. Maybe when they convert propperly, but it is not great in the first place.

razani is working too and it looks very good in arma2 , of course some things are missing but still looks good.

Anyone else recall a lot of people complaining about North Sahrani because it was mostly mountains and worthless? Same applies here especially if the AI can't handle it well. I would much rather have another part of Chenarus than the mountains of Afghanistan unless it was USSR invading Afghanistan then I might change my mind.

My order of preferred terrain:

Another part of Chenarus

Hilly area of Afghanistan with a lot of villages(w/ 1980s USSR stuff)

Fulda Gap (w/ 1980s stuff)

Snowy Chenarus

Spring Chenarus

Iraqi Desert

Personally ive grown very tired of playing war games set in middle eastern countries, thats one reason why ArmA 2 is such a massive breath of fresh air!

Also people saying they are bored of the US/USSR conflict in these games, dont you remember Russias actions in Georgia last year?that almost triggered the kind of scenario ArmA 2 is based on!its not exactly an unrealistic plot!

Edited by trickster1982

Aside from being a very bland (read not flat but unexciting and barren) wasteland afghanistan would also fall short of providing a good game play. Make a bunch of vehicles for NATO war machine and what for the mujahideen? A donkey, a technical at best? ArmA is a tactical WAR simulator. Afghanistan is a super-massive COUNTER-INSURGENCY operation. Just because Taliban are very spread out and can hide in the mountains that hardly makes them a worthy enemy. Afghanistan in ArmA = patrol and convoy simulation (with a random ambush which usually ends with a massive airstrike killing everybody).

Cold War all the way!

BI knows the territory and setting well. They did a really good job, giving an authentic feeling of a former communist bloc country. I would say they would have much less expertise doing an Afghan map and campaign.

BI knows the territory and setting well. They did a really good job, giving an authentic feeling of a former communist bloc country. I would say they would have much less expertise doing an Afghan map and campaign.

I prefer the terrain in the games currently actually, but I would not object to an Afghan type terrain in an expansion ... once all the bugs are ironed out first of course!

BI chose the setting for ArmA2 to fit their storyline (just like they did with the islands and maps of OPFP and ArmA1). There will be plenty of addon maps (there were dozens in OPFP/A1) . Give it time for the modders to do thier thing (maps are a huge project).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hx-urYmtk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hx-urYmtk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by Thirdup