Sign in to follow this  
DarkBytes

better performance with mid range graphics cards

Hi I have posted a few threads about performances of ARMA 2 with high end systems , and apart from the fanatics , I think this has been encountered by many people.

I would like to add to this something that seems to highlight this issue.

I have the following spec

windows 7 ( 64bit )

6gb ddr 3 Corsair ( 1600)

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ)@4ghz

XFX Radeon HD 4870X2 2GB GDDR5

running 1680 x 1050

this is a fast system ( not the fasted I agree, but the items shit & shovle do spring to mind )

With respect to ARMA 2 , I get terrible performance , now if I swap out my graphics card from the radeon 4870X2 with 2GB GDDR5 ram to a geforce 8800GT with 512mb of ram , iget significantly better performance . The game still dosn't use the CPU cores properly but what it does do is max out the Graphics card , on the radeon , even with new drivers , crossfire kicking etc , it just dosnt use the GPU ir ram as much as it should , GPU's sit at around 25 to 30%.

Something is definatly wrong here , and you know forget all the game breaking bugs and shit , that make this a really painful game to try and play , its fucking shite when it comes to utilising available respurces

Great, so you cant have too good computer for the game either...

Thank god the 8800GT still manages to keep up with the latest games. I told myself it's the last GFX card I will buy and so far I can keep my promise.

DarkBytes use less memory and you will find a impprovement, i have similar spec as u with 4870x2 i was running 8gb ram and performace was poor, put the winxp after arma2.exe and game ran alot better with 4gb of ram. try it it might work for u...

If that is the case,it is sad that he has to take hardware out of his machine in order for the game to work properly.

I have a similar system as he does.

Intel i7 920 @ 3.6 Ghz

xFi SLI SE Motherboard

Corsair XMS3 6 gb DDR3-1600

(2)ASUS HD480 Crossfire

Resolution 1920 x 1080

I am not sure what the issue is, I have read many post as to why so many have issues with the game, but there is no one fix that works for everyone. What works for one, may make no difference for the other.

With everything on very high, and with AA, AF, and PPE off I get 2800-3000 range on ArmaMark. Using all these launch parameters that have been suggested (ie. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 33900 -cpuCount=4 -nosplash -world=empt -maxmem=2047) I get 3000-3200. The game is poorly optimized, and it seems to get progressively worse with newer systems. That's not to say there aren't exceptions, but given systems like ours and others, this game should run better.

I'm running a nvida 9500gt 1gig and i'm running the game at either high or very high with a dual core 2.7 amd 5000+ and 4gig of ram. On another note i know 2 guys who run identical rigs and there getting wildy difrent responses from the game weird or what.