Sign in to follow this  
blackettle

White soldiers actually can jump.

[YOUTBE]oVpcvmvJCYg[/YOUTUBE]

Hey, look, soldiers with combat gear actually jumping!

No helmet, no flak, no gobag/warbag, no ruck... less than totally convincing example you've cherry-picked. Notably, even carrying less than what would be considered bare-minimum combat load in the USMC they still have trouble negotiating a waist/chest high wall.

Edited by Placebo

I didn't "cherrypick" it, I just typed in "obstacle course combat gear" in youtube and watched it to made sure it had a jump. Finding a video of soldiers doing an obstacle course in FULL gear is probably not going to happen, because you only really do it in training where nobody wears those stuff.

Anyway, if there's a 1 meter wide ditch, IRL you'll be able to simply step over while in Arma 2 it probably doesn't matter what you'd do - you'd fall down.

Jumping like BF2? Hell no!

Jumping in a way that will cross obstacles that are easily crossed IRL? Having a more effective "step over" animation that doesn't take ages to walk over a tiny piece of dust? Hell yes!

Wearing heavy gear makes you clumsy, but it doesn't make you as mobile as a man in a wheelchair.

"jump" as most games have it would be bad IMO. A climb/roll over, and a dive (over short wall, etc) would be nice. The current little hop, while nice to no longer be imprisoned by 1 foot high walls, is too slow.

Not expecting BF2 style insta slam dunk leap, but when your sprinting a short hop/roll over a wall would take a second or two. The current method is more like someone who is rarely outdoors/physically active gingerly attempting to negotiate a low wall.

If a soldier attempted to negotiate an obstacle in that manner, he would have a DI in his ear, and another one leg deep up his backside. :)

Yes I think we need to define jump vs dive. It is realistic hit the deck, even over a short obstical vs jumping 5 feet in the air to clear it.

Maybe the Climb Over button could be context sensitive. Like if you're running you'll have a certain momentum and clear the obstacle much faster. Also, while the climb over animation is playing, hitting the prone button could make the player hit the deck quickly after clearing the obstacle, like a dive (or cancel the climb over animation and go into an "roll over the obstacle and hit the deck, cause shit man, I'd much rather sprain my ankle than die!" animation).

Edit: Also, there's a difference between jumping vertically and horizontally. I'm personally not sure if either is needed in the game, but it'd be nice to be able to sprint towards a rockwall and be able to roll over it and into cover... a manuever like that is mostly momentum anyway.

Edited by Noceur

Well with the current map design I have to agree horizontal jumping isn't really needed, though in a more general context it's something that is simply needed (and who knows, maybe there's a place in Chernarus that I hadn't found yet where you need to jump across a small ditch ;)). Veritcal jumping is rarely useful unless it's a jump to reach something you grab to climb over (which would be very hard to do climb gear, but not impossible). Jumping on top of cars and stuff shouldn't be a jump, but rather a higher climb than the current step over that we have that pretty much only works for low fences that IRL you'd practically ignore anyway.

I think that jumping should be allowed but after a jump u get very tired and ur aim gets poor for a while. This will stop people jumping like rabbits as they will get worse and worse if they havn't recoverd from 1st jump and keep jumping

ArmaII needs jetpacks! Jetpacks make every game better. :p

Seriously though, improved mobility would be nice. It would be great if we could traverse a proper obstacle course comparable to a fully loaded solder in real life, and pick lighter kits for yet better freedom of movement.

Conflicts with BI's gameplay philosophy, where they want to stay clear of BF exploits.

If there were some significant game-play issue in ArmA II regarding mobility, and getting around or over obstacles I might agree -- but the game plays fine in this regard; and far more realistically then anything else.

Diminished stamina jumping still looks ridiculous, can be exploited in most games that offer it -- and creating realistic stride based jumping animations, rather then some bizarre hop we see in most games is far more work then it's worth with bigger fish to fry imho.

The black ones do not need to jump because they stand and fight like men.

Aaah racism... That's going to endear a lot of people to your cause...

:cool:

but it'd be nice to be able to sprint towards a rockwall and be able to roll over it and into cover... a manuever like that is mostly momentum anyway.

I agree like I've never agreed before.

Make it speed bound.

Walking towards a fence and pressing the step over key should remaind as it is.

Running towards a fence and pressing step over should result in a "tumble over the obstacle" animation and landing on the other side.

It would be cool for finding cover too.. like you know "OH shit a machine gun nest" and then you run back, tumble over a low wall and keep your head down.

Yeah. I agree with the last post. Running at a fence could result in automatic jumping over. It would make it less awkward. But obviously, you can't continue to do that indefinitely.

Anyway, Blackettle, four pages and not even one sound reason has been given (by you or anyone else) for jumping to be added into the game. I guess that's a NO then. :P

Yeah. I agree with the last post. Running at a fence could result in automatic jumping over. It would make it less awkward. But obviously, you can't continue to do that indefinitely.

No. What if i just want to run at a fence without hopping over? A game cant decide when i want to go over or not, and thus shouldnt. :confused:

I agree with a faster 'tumble over' option though. You should land lying down though, so while its safer to get over the fence you have to get up again if you want to continue running.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I like the game the way it is. No diving or sliding is necessary. If BIS decide to put something like that in, I'm sure it will be well done and it will make sense in context.

Edited by Max Power

I didn't "cherrypick" it, I just typed in "obstacle course combat gear" in youtube and watched it to made sure it had a jump. Finding a video of soldiers doing an obstacle course in FULL gear is probably not going to happen, because you only really do it in training where nobody wears those stuff.

Anyway, if there's a 1 meter wide ditch, IRL you'll be able to simply step over while in Arma 2 it probably doesn't matter what you'd do - you'd fall down.

Where are there ditches in ArmA2?

Wearing heavy gear makes you clumsy, but it doesn't make you as mobile as a man in a wheelchair.

Certainly there is room for improvement, but I actually like the tradeoff as presented. And I would not be opposed to unloaded classes being able to perform actions that more heavily laden classes could not.

Finding a video of soldiers doing an obstacle course in FULL gear is probably not going to happen, because you only really do it in training where nobody wears those stuff.

Exactlly. Doesnt happen in the field geared up. You dont want to lose energy while moving so a step over would be used instead of jumping over the same obstacle.

Before incoporating jump in a simulator there should be a simulated weight/stamina like in A1-ACE :)

Before incoporating jump in a simulator there should be a simulated weight/stamina like in A1-ACE :)

This is needed regardless of anything said in this thread ;) though as far as I've read the ACE had some issues that could've been better handled when it came to weight.

If I have the opportunity and need to jump over a fence/rock/object for cover (I am being fired at), then I would like the ability to do so.

They could possibly make a roll-over. But jump? No way you're getting over any fence with 30-60 kilos on your back.

The problem with BIS, is that they don't want to use 3rd party libraries (Havok, etc.), so other than DirectX, etc. they make everything themselves (Which I think is pretty cool, though I miss real physics).

strap 180 lbs on his back and take him outside, see if he can hop around, if he can, implement it.

This is needed regardless of anything said in this thread ;) though as far as I've read the ACE had some issues that could've been better handled when it came to weight.

Loved "ACE". Hated "ASS" ("ace stamina system"). It was worse then their unfinished wound system.

I disabled it almost imediately.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTlbJcoPom8

Edited by Thirdup

If jumping were ever to make it into this game it should also damage you with the amount of gear you are meant to be carrying.

One adrenaline/reaction jump - ok but you take a hit, as you would probably hurt yourself rushing away from fire.

If you keep jumping the game should stick you in the same position as prone/injured

Loved "ACE". Hated "ASS" ("ace stamina system"). It was worse then their unfinished wound system.

I disabled it almost imediately.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTlbJcoPom8

So essentially you liked being able to carry about six times as much stuff but did not like being penalized for it?

So essentially you liked being able to carry about six times as much stuff but did not like being penalized for it?

Problem was that you couldnt even walk with a decent amount of extra stuff on your back without passing out so in the end you needed a vehicle for your extra gear anyway which made the whole backpack feature pointless. :p

Yeah, one AT round and launcher. And my primary weapon with clips (note it's an M16 and not a SAW). Look at the video. I'm not carrying a AA weapon, a machine gun, and three backpacks.

Did you ever play AMRA with ACE? The stamina system was beyond retarded.

No, I do not expect to be able to carry 300lbs of gear and sprint endlessly. But the default ArmA stamina system was far better than the one imposed by ACE. I assure you that I can hump 60lbs of gear across my lawn without "blacking out" after ten paces or "falling to the ground" after 30 paces.

ACE stamina = fail